Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,711 times

Advertisements

How is living in Makawao?
I'm on a subsidized housing list.

Seems like a nice town to live in. Small, not hot with humidity. Good bus service.
I'm a senior, young 67 yrs old. I live in Northern California in the town of Fort Bragg, Mendocino Coast in

senior subsidized housing.

Any information would be appreciated.

I'm also on a waiting list in subsidized housing in Kahului but I think Kahului would be hot and

high humidity than Makawao.

Any information on living in either are again would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 03:07 PM

139 posts, read 180,473 times
Makawao is going to be cooler than Kahalui.

Make sure you have ample resources to move. The "fair market" going rate for most places that COULD comply with the HUD program, exceeds the allotment.

However, "affordable" housing here is very hard to come by, so there is very little incentive for Landlords to go through the process of being HUD approved. Meaning that even those who have a voucher in their hand, have a very hard time finding a landlord that can, or wants to, accept it.

Almost always, any of the rentals that are desirable and/or affordable, never get listed. They are always found/acquired through friends and word of mouth.

Good luck! Bring Money! Have an "escape" plan if it doesn't work out!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Makawao is right at the corner of where wet meets dry. I like the area, because of the rain it is pretty green. It is maybe 1500 feet in elevation so a bit cooler and great views from parts of it. It is a small community with some stores but nothing big. A few restaurants. All houses, no apartments or condos. Library. Pukalani is just down the road and it has more stores and medical facilities.

I would not live in Kahului. It gets hot, dry and windy. It full of big box stores and shopping malls and industrial areas.

Not sure what subsidized housing is, but Maui isn't cheap or necessarily senior friendly if you have no resources here.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
I really like Makawao. Nice elevation for a bit cooler temps, forest reserve in your backyard and ocean not too far away.
Plus there's Polli's Mexican restaurant.
Seems to be more single women than men, if that makes any difference.
Expensive, of course, like all of Maui.
Good luck!

Old 02-29-2020, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 10,711 times
Thank you everyone for your response.

I agree about Makawao. I'm on a senior housing waiting list in Makawao. Fairly new, and looks nice on Makawao Ave.

The waiting list is years long so I can save allot if I choose to move.

I will come over from Cal. to interview when the company calls and then decide if I want the place or if I'll stay in Fort Bragg, Ca..
Thank you again!

Old 02-29-2020, 03:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
You’ll be dead before they call and you find a place. Just saying.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terese95437 View Post
Thank you everyone for your response.

I agree about Makawao. I'm on a senior housing waiting list in Makawao. Fairly new, and looks nice on Makawao Ave.

The waiting list is years long so I can save allot if I choose to move.

I will come over from Cal. to interview when the company calls and then decide if I want the place or if I'll stay in Fort Bragg, Ca..
Thank you again!
Just curious. Who pays for your trip to Maui for the interview?

Old 03-01-2020, 07:05 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Just curious. Who pays for your trip to Maui for the interview?
This is a big part of what is wrong in the U.S. Imagine, going to Hawaii to live on public assistance to be paid for, of course, by hard-working Americans. Unbelievable and unacceptable. A disgrace.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
This is a big part of what is wrong in the U.S. Imagine, going to Hawaii to live on public assistance to be paid for, of course, by hard-working Americans. Unbelievable and unacceptable. A disgrace.

Spoken like a true humanitarian.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
When Hawaii has so many people in need of subsidized housing and so little available, it seems unreasonable that people from other states could preempt them just because they decide to live here.

By the same token, I have long been amazed that there is a large public housing project just a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

Chances are, 90% of America could not afford to live there if those apartments were at market rates yet people on Public Assistance live there courtesy of taxpayers. SMH!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-02-2020 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui