Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 06:30 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Bound to happen anywhere with a lot of tourists.

https://news.yahoo.com/cussed-every-...100140983.html

Quote:
Friction between visitors and locals is nothing new in overcrowded tourism hot spots like Maui, but the rapid rebound in travel combined with lingering COVID restrictions and high post-pandemic expectations of residents and tourists have exacerbated the situation. That has led to renewed calls to limit or better manage traffic and crowds with new tourist fees, reservation requirements for popular beaches and parks and other measures being implemented or proposed.

Maui Mayor Michael Victorino, in a head-turning request, has gone so far as ask airlines to temporarily reduce flights to the island so the already cramped Kahului Airport isn't further strained. Transportation Security Administration screening wait times already have exceeded an hour at peak times this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 08:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
For those not inclined to read the entire story, it may be useful to point out that the pull quote is referring to Island employees getting cussed at by visitors and locals alike.

One might expect that it means tourists are being cussed at by locals. Of course, some of that sentiment also exists. Locals have had a pleasant taste of what it's like to be without hordes of visitors, resulting in a rethinking of this industry by some of them.

The same thing has happened here in Alaska. Our numbers haven't rebounded so quickly though because cruise ships are still limited or simply not coming-yet.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:58 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Most of the tourists are of the types we typically welcome, but this year Maui has been inundated by a lot more low-class, entitled visitors. I have repeatedly heard this phenomenon be attributed to stimulus checks.

If that's what is bringing in the loud-mouthed, aggressive-driving, horn-honking fools I hope we are done with stimulus payments.

Hawaii needs to dump the $300 per week bonus unemployment to get people here back to work.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-11-2021 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Punctuation repair

Old 07-11-2021, 11:28 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Most of the tourists are of the types we typically welcome, but this year Maui has been inundated by a lot more low-class, entitled visitors. I have repeatedly heard this phenomenon be attributed to stimulus checks.

If that's what is bringing in the loud-mouthed, aggressive-driving, horn-honking fools I hope we are done with stimulus payments.

Hawaii needs to dump the $300 per week bonus unemployment to get people here back to work.
Heh … you just described half the human race globally. Good luck escaping them

Old 07-11-2021, 12:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Hotel room rates on Maui are the highest they have ever been in history.

In May - the average daily rate was $467 on the entire island - including the dumps. Wailea was $717.

June is even higher.

Stimulus checks only go so far.

If anything, Maui is getting exactly what it wants - high paying tourists.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:37 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

In May - the average daily rate was $467 on the entire island - including the dumps. Wailea was $717.

June is even higher.

Agree with you on this. I don't think it's the stimulus checks that are bringing people over. It is those that didn't go anywhere on a vacation for over a year. I know quite a few folks that have recently gone to Maui. They stated it was crowded and based on the OP's link, visitors are back to 2019 levels without as many international visitors. I'm heading over there next month with an open mind and plan to relax. If that doesn't work, than I'll stay at the hotel bar.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

June is even higher.

Plenty of short-term condo rentals for less than $467. I have never seen so many trashy people here.

Perhaps they are all "high paying" but I doubt it based upon the demonstrated behaviors.

When stimulus checks were coupled to eviction moratoriums, bonus Unemployment money, and nightclubs closed for a year, they have money to spend especially when traveling in (loud, rude) groups.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-11-2021 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 07-11-2021, 10:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
I have never seen so many trashy people here.
People are frustrated (visitors and residents). The restaurant restrictions especially and a indoor mask mandate (only US state) is bringing out the trashy in a lot of people.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:56 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Quote:
I have never seen so many trashy people here.
Thank you! I thought it was just me seeing scraggy haired fat men scratching their big bellies with their barefoot kids digging for gold in their noses and the 250 lb momma in short shorts and a tube top.

The yelling and filthy talk, dropping f bombs as they walk down crowded streets, ugh. I do not recall so many of the pre-pandemic travelers being so....as you, kindly, say -Trashy.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:55 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Thank you! I thought it was just me seeing scraggy haired fat men scratching their big bellies with their barefoot kids digging for gold in their noses and the 250 lb momma in short shorts and a tube top.

The yelling and filthy talk, dropping f bombs as they walk down crowded streets, ugh. I do not recall so many of the pre-pandemic travelers being so....as you, kindly, say -Trashy.
Happy to say that I didn't see any of those kind of folks during our stay. We had a great time and the other tourists I met at the hotel were all nice and friendly to my family. At restaurants we visited, never heard or saw of any unruly/loud mouthed tourists or locals.

I'm just glad I didn't visit any of the spots where you saw these folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui