Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,551 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I will be moving to Maui to start a job located in Wailuku. I do not currently have a vehicle would not be planning on purchasing one until being on the island for at least a year. I know there is not much public transportation but I was planning on relying completely on rideshare services like Uber. I would be working a 9-5 schedule in wailuku and hopefully finding a room to rent for housing in wailuku but also possibly considering Kahului and Paia area. How is uber availability during early morning work commute hours on the island? Would this be a feasible plan for Maui?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 06:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Go to the Uber passenger app - enter a origin and destination for Wailuku and the other places and you can see for yourself - you don't have to physically be on Maui to do this.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:46 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
I would highly suggest you rent a room in Wailuku, as close to work as possible. There's quite a bit of choice of housing within that proximity.

They are many modern neighborhoods up there. as well as quaint, old-school neighborhoods.

There's all the goodies in Wailuku: two supermarkets, Walgreens, Starbucks, McDonalds, ect. and lots of local eateries in that area.

The bus runs thru Wailuku if you want to jump on to explore the island or to go to the big mall "Queen K" .

Paia has gridlock traffic, every day, no exceptions-- you will spend a massive amount of time and money on uber/lyft services.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCat View Post
Hi all!

I will be moving to Maui to start a job located in Wailuku. I do not currently have a vehicle would not be planning on purchasing one until being on the island for at least a year. I know there is not much public transportation but I was planning on relying completely on rideshare services like Uber. I would be working a 9-5 schedule in wailuku and hopefully finding a room to rent for housing in wailuku but also possibly considering Kahului and Paia area. How is uber availability during early morning work commute hours on the island? Would this be a feasible plan for Maui?
Just a word of warning. Roaches are way worse here than in Las Vegas. Also rats, mice, mongooses, feral cats, deer, pigs, centipedes, spiders, etc. Critters thrive here since there is no seasonal die-off.

I live in a concrete building but still battle termites munching on my new kitchen cabinets. One of my neighbors had the wiring in her car eaten by ants.

I am currently feuding with 2 mynah birds determined to nest in my exterior air conditioning duct. They have been at it for two months. I blocked it with a wadded grocery bag which the birds slowly picked apart. Next, I added duct tape which cost them a few feathers, then stuffed it with steel wool. The birds tore that up. I added soap to the steel wool. They are still picking at it.

Today, I bought Vick's VapoRub. Time will tell if that is the solution.

Unless your new job pays really well it might be wise to do some more research before making the move.

The poverty line here is somewhere around $60,000 for one person, if I recall correctly.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:00 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Pesky Minor birds, they are resilient!

Old 05-14-2022, 11:04 PM

12 posts, read 10,815 times
Either live in walking distance of your work or be on the bus line within reasonable distance. Uber/lyft will become costly and should be reserved for just shopping trips for essentials.

Biggest issue is your social life so you'll need to ask yourself how it affects you there. If you're the type that has little to no interest in enjoying the various Maui outdoor activities, preferring instead to read or do online related things then I suppose it makes very little difference. But if you do want to get around, that will be quite challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: