Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2023, 01:40 AM

45 posts, read 67,596 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a resident in Hawaii and am considering a small parcel of land on Molokai to build a small 2/2 on for a quiet retirement.

I was pressing for the real scoop on getting permits on Molokai. The realtor said before getting permits, the county may require an archeological dig first because it's in and SMA zone.

It's a terribly small lot under 7.200 sq ft between two others with homes built already. She said it already had one done 5 or 6 years ago and that doesn't matter if they found nothing, they can ask for a new one and the cost averages $20K to pay the 8 people who have to fly out and dig with tiny shovels for weeks.

Does anyone know how common it is that the country requires a dig before giving a septic permit?

Does anyone know what the protocol is if they find something and claim it as a historical preservation site and deny any building permits (which is understandable). Are they obligated to purchase the land from you to hold it as a preserve or can they stick you with holding title to land you paid for that you can not use or resell?

If a dig was done in the past and if anything was found, meaning "no building permits for you"
would a seller have to disclose that?

I greatly appreciate learning from anyone who has had experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 01:32 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalesongs View Post
Hello, I am a resident in Hawaii and am considering a small parcel of land on Molokai to build a small 2/2 on for a quiet retirement.

I was pressing for the real scoop on getting permits on Molokai. The realtor said before getting permits, the county may require an archeological dig first because it's in and SMA zone.

It's a terribly small lot under 7.200 sq ft between two others with homes built already. She said it already had one done 5 or 6 years ago and that doesn't matter if they found nothing, they can ask for a new one and the cost averages $20K to pay the 8 people who have to fly out and dig with tiny shovels for weeks.

Does anyone know how common it is that the country requires a dig before giving a septic permit?

Does anyone know what the protocol is if they find something and claim it as a historical preservation site and deny any building permits (which is understandable). Are they obligated to purchase the land from you to hold it as a preserve or can they stick you with holding title to land you paid for that you can not use or resell?

If a dig was done in the past and if anything was found, meaning "no building permits for you"
would a seller have to disclose that?

I greatly appreciate learning from anyone who has had experience with this.
I happened to spot your OP while scrolling around on C-D. While I don't have experience with HI I have been involved with natural/historical resource review processes and SHPOs (State Historic Preservation Office) in other states. Hopefully, HI experts here can give you specifics, but maybe I can help get you headed in the right direction.

You know your parcel is within a designated Special Management Area. You should have known that before purchasing the lot. It may have affected the asking price and how readily the seller negotiated. The designation will come with more rigorous reviews than another parcel outside one. The size of the lot really doesn't matter but the intensity of development you hope to do on it does. Installing septic will cause a major disruption in the soils (and anything buried in them) either way. If the lot is small, you may not have options where to place your excavation. It is what it is.

In the other states I've worked in, if a seller knows about "encumbrances" (existing ROWs, easements, wetland designations, the SMA/or other resource protection restrictions) on their land they are supposed to disclose it to potential buyers. Obviously they could affect the future uses any future owner could make of that parcel. A proper title search should disclose encumbrances too. As for paying for the necessary surveys, you may well be on the hook for them as you bear some responsibility as the legal owner. Sometimes you simply can't do what you want, though the fact that the two adjacent parcels were developed for the same type of use isn't trivial. Unless those builds were done so long ago regulations regarding development didn't exist.

I'd suggest contacting the county first, but they may refer you on to the state. These sorts of questions are common so getting answers from the horse's mouth shouldn't be that difficult.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/1354/Spec...ement-Area-SMA

Can you get a copy of the previous archeological review? There are different "levels" of historical/archeological significance. The previous surveyor may have made recommendations about what if any future surveys could be triggered by different types of development, what sort of use the parcel would be suited for, or the likelihood anything new will be discovered based on findings on adjacent parcels.

In other states I've worked in, if archeological resources are found the state does not automatically buy the land from the owner unless the find was unusually significant. They might remove artifacts in order protect them, document them in place and design a plan to conserve them in situ, or record what's present and still permit limited development (maybe disallowing a traditional septic but permitting another type of wastewater system) once they've collected as much information from them as possible.

I would first track down whatever survey information you can, then contact these folks for more specific information. Have the parcel identification ready. Good luck OP!

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/shpd

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2023 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 06:38 PM

45 posts, read 67,596 times
I haven't bought anything yet, just considering a few.

That was well-rounded overview you provided from your experience and I appreciate it and hope it was of interest to others. I don't believe in "canceling history". The current trend is shocking.

It turns out the first one was for the general neighborhood itself before lots were created and sold. Applying for a septic may flag a site-specific one for the lot. The Realtor said a friend had it happen not long ago not far from these lots. Nothing was found, so nothing happened to learn from if something was found.

Respecting any sacred site comes first and I would just want to know what I may be getting into. (All land is sacred really) We are just caretakers of this awesome gem.

The county has been vague, as usual.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Old 07-03-2023, 05:24 PM

15 posts, read 9,396 times
What are examples of important archeological items they might find that can halt the construction of the home?

Old 07-03-2023, 08:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim33Maui View Post
What are examples of important archeological items they might find that can halt the construction of the home?
Bones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui