Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM

27 posts, read 124,299 times

Advertisements

Julia, where are you seeing $10 milk? Costco and Walmart are cheaper than that. Prices are high here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

91 posts, read 420,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
bob, I am not coping at all, it is just way too expensive, and getting more and more expensive, I cant believe milk is already over $10. we are doing baby shopping, and the prices just make me cry. We did not ship our cat here, because we are leaving as soon as the baby is born. we cant afford to live here, there is no point, we'd rather be in a cheaper state where we can save and afford more.
My mother is coming to help with the baby, round trip from russia is almost 3 K, plus for us to go to Russia to see the family and show them the baby-$3K for each of us. we are talking about almost 10K in plane tickets alone. there is no point. there are no jobs here for me, and my husband can find a job anywhere, with the same salary he has now. We are having a kid, so we want to live in a state where we can afford to save for our kid's education, retirement, and just in general not having to pay $10 for milk and $7 for 4 little bottles of pediolite.
Yeah, you can survive here, but is it worth it? no, not really.
we just want a normal life, where we dont have to shake each time we go to grocery store....even Texas sounds very appealing to me right now.

Lesson to all: Russian women and Hawaii don't mix!

BTW Julia, I lived in Manhattan also for many years -- it's really not that great of a place for many people either :-) But different strokes for different folks...and perhaps Russian peeps really do better in colder environments.

-V

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,456,384 times
Why do people complain about the price of milk in every thread?

I don't even drink milk because I'm lactose intolerant... What does soy milk cost?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
bob, I am not coping at all, it is just way too expensive, and getting more and more expensive, I cant believe milk is already over $10. we are doing baby shopping, and the prices just make me cry. We did not ship our cat here, because we are leaving as soon as the baby is born. we cant afford to live here, there is no point, we'd rather be in a cheaper state where we can save and afford more.
My mother is coming to help with the baby, round trip from russia is almost 3 K, plus for us to go to Russia to see the family and show them the baby-$3K for each of us. we are talking about almost 10K in plane tickets alone. there is no point. there are no jobs here for me, and my husband can find a job anywhere, with the same salary he has now. We are having a kid, so we want to live in a state where we can afford to save for our kid's education, retirement, and just in general not having to pay $10 for milk and $7 for 4 little bottles of pediolite.
Yeah, you can survive here, but is it worth it? no, not really.
we just want a normal life, where we dont have to shake each time we go to grocery store....even Texas sounds very appealing to me right now.
Why do people move to Hawaii without a job lined up? The job market is bad everywhere, so how do people expect to just drop onto an island and get the job they want in a state of 1.3 million people in the middle of the Pacific? Heck, I've wanted to move from Houston to Austin for the past 3 years, but never found a job, so I didn't move.

Maybe the problem is people really believe that if you want something bad enough, you'll get it, your dreams will come true, etc. Well try telling that to the 10% unemployed. That only works out if you have realistic dreams and maybe some luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM

682 posts, read 2,797,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why do people move to Hawaii without a job lined up? The job market is bad everywhere, so how do people expect to just drop onto an island and get the job they want in a state of 1.3 million people in the middle of the Pacific? Heck, I've wanted to move from Houston to Austin for the past 3 years, but never found a job, so I didn't move.
I'm not sure why this thread got resurrected, but I'm pretty sure Julia's not on the board any more, and is probably no longer in Maui.

My recollection is that her husband is a doctor, and they moved here for a job he got. So they did not "move without a job" at all. But she couldn't find work for herself, and found herself bored, lonely, and broke.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a couple to move somewhere based on one member's job... we moved here for my job. But we were lucky enough to come to Oahu instead of Maui, where there's (relatively speaking) lots of work. So my husband found a job quickly. Julia, for whatever reason, wasn't so lucky.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM

94 posts, read 319,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Maybe the problem is people really believe that if you want something bad enough, you'll get it, your dreams will come true, etc. Well try telling that to the 10% unemployed. That only works out if you have realistic dreams and maybe some luck.
Could be because it's next to 100% impossible to get a job sight unseen on an island 2000 miles away unless you already work for a company that has a location in Hawaii.

Or it could be because new arrivals to the islands have a reputation for staying a few months before they decide it isn't for them—not exactly the population you want to hire from if you're trying to keep turnover low.

Or it might be as simple as the fact that Hawaii unemployment is consistently several ticks below the national average. (And don't feed me that crap about how the numbers lie due to factors such as underemployment—there isn't anything to suggest that this isn't the case in any given state, especially those with high costs of living already).

Or maybe they figure (correctly) that there are a million people on the islands already and they couldn't possibly have all gotten jobs before moving there.

Or it may just be that their partner or spouse got a job on the islands already—as seems to be the case here.

Just sayin'

Old 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM

OK, you're right, in this case the husband had a job already.

But I think it makes a lot less sense to move to Hawaii without having a job first than it would to other places, just because it costs so much to make the move. Also though, erywhere except Honolulu is a small town, so there are a lot fewer jobs to go around.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM

94 posts, read 319,310 times
No, you're definitely correct about that. It makes more sense to move to Hawaii with a job.

I just think that for most people moving anywhere (and especially Hawaii), it's pretty rare to have that option.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM

150 posts, read 416,144 times
We recently moved to S. Kihei from Los Angeles with elementary age children. We are trying the public school to avoid the costs of privates and especially since the elementary school here has a decent reputation. There are no schools at all in Wailea/Makena. It's beautiful, well manicured and mostly caters to vacationers and the more well off folks. There are also beautiful properties, nice beaches and a more residential atmosphere in Kihei, the town just north of Wailea (actually Wailea addresses are served by the Kihei post and the zip is the same). There are privates that may better cater to your family's needs throughout the island and folks will drive whatever the distance to attend the one of their choice. In Kihei there is Hale O Keiki Montessori and Kihei Charter in addition to the public schools. After that you'll find you'll have to drive a bit to get to other privates in town (Kahului/Wailuku) or upcountry (Kula/Pukalani/Makawao). You didn't mention what age your kids were but Seabury Hall is a well regarded College Preparatory middle/high school upcountry. Finding work is tough right now unless you have a current job you can do from anywhere or come and plan on using up some savings. My grocery shopping has run more $ than in Los Angeles but that's mostly because we avoid eating out due to the expense of it here - so we're cooking/BBQing/eating at home more. Kahului has it's first Whole Foods Market - haven't been but I'm sure it's $$$! I usually find milk on sale from $3.99l-5.99 gal. Hope some of that helps. PS: We say "in town" and it sounds far but it's actually about 8-12 miles from Kihei.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM

150 posts, read 416,144 times
Damn HisDudeness hasn't been on since April of LAST year! I hate that never remember to look at the original posters date!!! I just wasted my time trying to be helpful and all for naught! Aaaak! I'm going to cut and save it for the next time someone asks about South Maui - which shouldn't be long! ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui