Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 07:32 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

FROZEN PIPES!

You know, if you can't afford to heat your home to the temperatures you are accostumed to, you can wear more clothes, put on a wool ski mask and put more blankets on the bed but no one in the news media seems to be talking about frozen pipes and I want to know how come? It's a real problem. The same people who can't afford high cost (thanks Biden) home heating oil aren't going to be able to afford plumbers and pipe replacement for their homes and you can't put sweaters on your pipes.

Just heard diesel will be gone soon. The Economic Times says there are only 25 days left in the US diesel stockpile. You know if trucks can't get diesel there will be shortages of everything in the stores (like food) because trucks won't be able to get products to market. I assume, but am not sure, that trucks that bring home heating oil to homes run on diesel. If so, even if you can afford high prices, you won't be able to heat your home...or eat.

And environmentalists, I see in Europe people are chopping down trees to heat their homes because they can't get fuel. There goes the wildlife habitat! It's bad enough you've turned your backs on birds chopped up by wind turbines and birds fried by solar farms but now it seems like you've turned your backs on species extinction. You're hypocrites.

And the national news media just stays silent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 09:12 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
National news mostly live in big cities far removed from ' common people ' problems. I think most city people are removed from 'real life ' strife ' and are caught up in PHONY non important events.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:48 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
National news mostly live in big cities far removed from ' common people ' problems. I think most city people are removed from 'real life ' strife ' and are caught up in PHONY non important events.
Like abortion and gay marriage. You know, the life and death PRIORITIES.

I read in this morning's paper that firewood theft is expected to be a huge concern this winter here in our rural area. We supplement our home heating with our woodstove every winter, and will be relying on it heavily in the coming months. Now on top of gas and food prices, we have to worry about thieves stealing the firewood supply DH cut over the summer. BTW, environmentally, we have a wooded area on the property, and DH is pretty discriminate in what he cuts.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:36 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
FROZEN PIPES!

You know, if you can't afford to heat your home to the temperatures you are accostumed to, you can wear more clothes, put on a wool ski mask and put more blankets on the bed but no one in the news media seems to be talking about frozen pipes and I want to know how come? It's a real problem. The same people who can't afford high cost (thanks Biden) home heating oil aren't going to be able to afford plumbers and pipe replacement for their homes and you can't put sweaters on your pipes.

Just heard diesel will be gone soon. The Economic Times says there are only 25 days left in the US diesel stockpile. You know if trucks can't get diesel there will be shortages of everything in the stores (like food) because trucks won't be able to get products to market. I assume, but am not sure, that trucks that bring home heating oil to homes run on diesel. If so, even if you can afford high prices, you won't be able to heat your home...or eat.

And environmentalists, I see in Europe people are chopping down trees to heat their homes because they can't get fuel. There goes the wildlife habitat! It's bad enough you've turned your backs on birds chopped up by wind turbines and birds fried by solar farms but now it seems like you've turned your backs on species extinction. You're hypocrites.

Just a bit melodramatic don't ya think. Heating fuel is expensive here, nothing wrong with slightly lowering the heat and wearing a sweater.

It's not really clear why there is a diesel shortage here, there are several reasons for the shortage in Europe.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:30 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just a bit melodramatic don't ya think. Heating fuel is expensive here, nothing wrong with slightly lowering the heat and wearing a sweater.

It's not really clear why there is a diesel shortage here, there are several reasons for the shortage in Europe.
Shades of Jimmy Carter.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:00 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I lived half of my life on Long Island. It's not exactly Maine, Minnesota or Alaska, for example.

From The Washington Post:

"Diesel supplies have also tightened due to a steady decline in East Coast refining capacity in recent years, which has made the region more reliant on overseas imports, some of which come from across the Atlantic -- Europe and Russia. Shipments from both sources have dried up/decreased." 2 days ago

"ALEXANDRIA, Va.—The U.S. has a 25-day supply of diesel, as the nation's stockpiles of diesel and other distillate fuel oils are at 106 million barrels, the lowest for this time of year since 1982, reports the Economic Times." 8 hours ago

https://www.convenience.org › Oct
U.S. Diesel Stockpiles Are Shrinking Fast | NACS

Old 10-28-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Shades of Jimmy Carter.
Jimmy Carter was the first president to attempt to move away from our reliance on oil from the middle east, he subsidized more efficient home heating and solar. Then along came Reagan and subsequent presidents who did nothing.

We didn't have just expensive fuel in the 1970's, there were shortages and gas lines if you were around that time. We were going to reduce our reliance on foreign oil and nothing, we had a short memory.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I lived half of my life on Long Island. It's not exactly Maine, Minnesota or Alaska, for example.

From The Washington Post:

"Diesel supplies have also tightened due to a steady decline in East Coast refining capacity in recent years, which has made the region more reliant on overseas imports, some of which come from across the Atlantic -- Europe and Russia. Shipments from both sources have dried up/decreased." 2 days ago

"ALEXANDRIA, Va.—The U.S. has a 25-day supply of diesel, as the nation's stockpiles of diesel and other distillate fuel oils are at 106 million barrels, the lowest for this time of year since 1982, reports the Economic Times." 8 hours ago

https://www.convenience.org › Oct
U.S. Diesel Stockpiles Are Shrinking Fast | NACS
Interesting, I wonder why we headed in that direction.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:29 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
FROZEN PIPES!

Trains run on diesel too.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:30 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
If this diesel shortage comes to pass the city folks will get a wake up call real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media