Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM

376 posts, read 1,869,987 times

Advertisements

Basically, I giving myself 30 days of detox. I have the time right now...(vacation-1 month). I have quit smoking 5 times. I keep going back because I get bored, eat too much and then feel worse then I did when I was smoking. Anyway, I have decided to approach it a bit differently. I plan on walking a lot each day, staying away from fattening foods (soda, chips, burgers..oh my). Also, no alcohol! I have been feeling down about the way I eat and the smokes and figured I must give this a go ....again!

Previous times I had gone on some meds to help quit smoking. They worked but I think this time I need to do it on my own. I will post here daily on my progress and thoughts. Hope this helps me and inspires other people to take on challenges that sometimes feel impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM

753 posts, read 761,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Basically, I giving myself 30 days of detox. I have the time right now...(vacation-1 month). I have quit smoking 5 times. I keep going back because I get bored, eat too much and then feel worse then I did when I was smoking. Anyway, I have decided to approach it a bit differently. I plan on walking a lot each day, staying away from fattening foods (soda, chips, burgers..oh my). Also, no alcohol! I have been feeling down about the way I eat and the smokes and figured I must give this a go ....again!

Previous times I had gone on some meds to help quit smoking. They worked but I think this time I need to do it on my own. I will post here daily on my progress and thoughts. Hope this helps me and inspires other people to take on challenges that sometimes feel impossible.
I did the same thing you're going to do 9 years ago, and after several false starts it finally took. Haven't smoked a single one since and now never would want to.

By the way - the secret is carrot sticks. I ate one every time I started having a nicciefit. Seemed like a bag a day.

It *can* be done, you can do it.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Hey, thanks for the support. I am really nervous about this but i really feel like it is time. Carrot sticks..yeah I best be stocking up on healthy bites such as that. You're in Scotland..wow. I love Scotland. Been there several times on vacation.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,394,977 times
Good luck - #1 thing to do is keep yourself busy! You won't have time to obsess over the cigs. Gum works or licorice sticks.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Thanks. But what about the weight thing? The biggest thing that drove me back to the smokes was the eating thing. I did not gain a lot of weight but i always felt so bloated.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,292,607 times
Last time I quit smoking it was because I was too sick to light my lighter. I gained 13 pounds in 6 weeks and was not eating. Nicotine enhances your metabolism, just like cocaine.

Fear of weight gain should not keep you from quitting smoking. It is more important to think of your health than a few vanity pounds.

Keep moving, eat healthy, and whatever weight you gain will come right back off.

Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,456,143 times
I am sure you will do great! Keep something in your hands for occupation, chew gum, do whatever you have to do. Eat healthy snacks when you think you want to smoke.

I have never been a smoker, but I have been a snack-a-holic! Working in a drs office, the reps always bring junk in! They put it right on my desk! I have started exercising, walking. Cut meat and junk out of my diet and have not turned back...except for the 2-3 x I thought, I can probably eat a little piece of meat... wrong!

LOL When the drug reps leave donuts, then call me back to give me a spiel, like, I remember you saying you have been ordering alot of motorized wheelchairs lately...we do home pt to help your patient.. I say thats great! I'll keep your company in mind! I dont eat donuts anymore... throws them so off I crack up... They are like OMG You messed me all up..waht are you eating? Granola..fruit, veggies...

LOL You can do it... I tell you what, if I could do it, anyone could. I think I could have been labeled such as an emotional eater. I did not have to be hungry to pick something up to eat it. bad times called for....cookies! No more. The last time I took a bite out of a cookie i threw it in the trash!

Keep your spirits high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health