Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

I don't know of a better phrase for this phenomenon so I'll call it Appointment Anxiety.

Basically, it's when you have some event planned in the near future and your presence is required that causes you to be on the edge more than usual until the planned even is over. You can still carry out life normally but your anxiety is a little elevated until the event is over. The planned event itself may or may not be stressful. Examples may include:

Medical appointments

Job Interviews

Waiting for an important phone call to arrive at a specific time

Restaurant reservation at a specific time

Flight reservations for a trip (may not be anxiety during the trip but lots of it when a flight reservation is in the immediate future.)

Can anyone relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I can relate....I think it's just because we all hope that everything will turn out good...but there's always a little kernel of doubt.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,675 times
Yes, I can relate because I feel that pressure as well. You are right, it does not have to be an unpleasant event...just an event that I need to be there for. It feels particularly stressful to have a day with multiple appointments. In fact, the dread that comes over me will sometimes result in my cancelling one or even all if I can even though it would make more sense in travel time or time management in general.

Lately, I have begun to suspect this is a personal fear of failure. I experience none of those feelings when the results are totally out of my control. A snowstorm delay or traffic tie up does nothing to me but the thought not arriving on time for a party with the wrong gift or forgetting something keeps me up at night.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,958 times
If possible I ask for afternoon appointments. (Versus early morning appointments.) This seems to help a little bit. (Unless I stress myself out during the morning!)...If I have an early morning appointment it could affect my sleep the night before!...I've been living a retiree and private kind of life and I'm not used to dealing with "stuff" out in the "larger world" anymore! So it can be a "bigger deal" to me today compared to when I was younger. (And "out and about" a lot more.)...And I can be a "control freak." Having to "take a number" and step into the "system" (again) seems foreign and spooky to me at times. But I always manage to find a way to "pull myself together" in the end despite my nervousness. And this builds up my confidence in myself. (Til the next time anyway!)...I know I need challenges in my life once in awhile and "outside experiences!" So I "muddle through" all of it and take pride in being able to "pull myself together" by the "final hour!"

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM

311 posts, read 467,580 times
I also can relate, for me I think all the examples you gave are related to anticipation. Not knowing what to expect and over thinking. Job interview are over the top for me (what questions will be asked, how do I look, what kind of answers are they looking for).

Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't know of a better phrase for this phenomenon so I'll call it Appointment Anxiety.

Basically, it's when you have some event planned in the near future and your presence is required that causes you to be on the edge more than usual until the planned even is over. You can still carry out life normally but your anxiety is a little elevated until the event is over. The planned event itself may or may not be stressful. Examples may include:

Medical appointments

Job Interviews

Waiting for an important phone call to arrive at a specific time

Restaurant reservation at a specific time

Flight reservations for a trip (may not be anxiety during the trip but lots of it when a flight reservation is in the immediate future.)

Can anyone relate?
Ugh, yes, but especially doctor appointments. I have to make some--I haven't been to a doctor in a number of years now except for the eye doctor and the dentist. I haven't been sick, either, but I'm getting older and need to have all those regular tests they want you to have. I have excellent insurance, too.

I just can't stand the anxiety. If I make an appointment for a physical or an ob/gyn appointment right now, I'll be sick with anxiety until it's over. Not sure what that's about, but it's there. I've only been in the hospital twice in my life--when I was born, which I don't remember, and when I gave birth 20 years ago. It was a C-section, and it still kind of freaks me out that they cut me open and then I was paralyzed from the waist down for a whole day from the spinal (which is normal) but felt so helpless. I remember lying there in bed starving and they brought me food and put it on a tray and then left but I couldn't see it and wasn't allowed to raise my head because of the spinal so I reached up with my fingers to grab some food and drop it into my mouth, lol. I remember feeling so helpless. Helplessness and being out of control don't work well for me.

I feel really stupid saying all this. I'm 53 years old. I live alone and do everything for myself. I survived an abusive marriage with an ordained alcoholic who left me in tons of debt. I got out of the World Trade Center twice after two terrorist attacks. But I can't face a doctor's appointment!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM

I hate having to go to see doctors too! And I avoid it as much as I can...I never did like seeing doctors. (Not even as a kid!)..And now I'm pulled into the world of doctors and nurses and hospitals due to my son's ongoing medical conditions. I keep warning my son to avoid getting "programmed" and "brainwashed!" I don't view doctors as "infallible gods." I'm grateful for their help and medical science. But sometimes they think they know everything and patients know nothing!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I hate having to go to see doctors too! And I avoid it as much as I can...I never did like seeing doctors. (Not even as a kid!)..And now I'm pulled into the world of doctors and nurses and hospitals due to my son's ongoing medical conditions. I keep warning my son to avoid getting "programmed" and "brainwashed!" I don't view doctors as "infallible gods." I'm grateful for their help and medical science. But sometimes they think they know everything and patients know nothing!

Our old family doctor retired a couple of years ago, and my mother went to the guy who took over his practice. The doctor looked at her records and said, "Oh, I see you've never had a colonoscopy...we'll schedule that for you." My mother said, "No, I don't think so." The doctor looked surprised and my mother just said, "I am 83 years old. I have no problems in that area and I think it's ridiculous to go for all these tests just for the sake of having them. I am not having a colonoscopy." The doctor said, "Oh, OK, then" and never brought it up again.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Our old family doctor retired a couple of years ago, and my mother went to the guy who took over his practice. The doctor looked at her records and said, "Oh, I see you've never had a colonoscopy...we'll schedule that for you." My mother said, "No, I don't think so." The doctor looked surprised and my mother just said, "I am 83 years old. I have no problems in that area and I think it's ridiculous to go for all these tests just for the sake of having them. I am not having a colonoscopy." The doctor said, "Oh, OK, then" and never brought it up again.
Way to go! Good for your Mom for speaking up! Sad that so many people become passive and compliant around doctors. Good that your Mom felt entitled to "say no!"

Old 11-21-2011, 01:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
I have no anxiety about keeping my medical appointments. I have doctors who listen to me and who don't try to patronize me. We talk about the treatment and they know that I am willing to participate in my care, not just be cared for.

It's in the area of other appointments/engagements that I have a problem. I willingly agree to go to functions or parties or whatevers but as the time approaches, I regret having said yes. By the date of the event, I'm working myself into a frenzy, trying to come up with a good reason not to have to go. What do you suppose that could be called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health