Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,259,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygal82 View Post
I don't agree. First of all, as someone else said, it's not entirely clear why people gain weight on these drugs, but it's rarely because they're eating more. It's probably due to some sort of unknown hormonal/metabolic change.

What kind of appetite inhibitors are you talking about? Something that already exists or something you think should be invented? Prescription appetite suppressants aren't used long-term.
Well, if appetite suppressants aren't/can't be used long term then the only cure is to get off the meds and live with the symptoms that possibly return or eat your meds and stay overweight and eat locrio de pollo happily.

What I'm thinking about is somekind of medical amphetamines but I guess they have their rather unpleasant side-effects aswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM

60 posts, read 166,722 times
the op needs to get diagnosed with add. some of those meds have antidepressant properties and frankly i think just about everyone would benefit from those meds.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,259,559 times
I would not suggest SSRI medications for persons prone to Mania.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I would not suggest SSRI medications for persons prone to Mania.
Thank you for the warning, two strikes against it. Can't and won't allow weight gain. I was on welbrutain and lamictal and I just craved sugar to the point it led to it. And I might have wacked up my sugar levels too, since I had passing out spells. Diabetes is in my family, but the suspcion has always been the opposite.

But on those meds, and the stuff earlier, all of it pushed me into a 24 hr hypo to more mania. On no drugs I have more depression, but I can manage it.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I am taking a few meds including a anti-depressant for migraines. For months, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing weight after being on Weight Watchers and Atkins (I lose weight easily before the meds).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I finally determined that the medication I take has caused me to gain weight or no lose at all. I called my doctor and I am waiting to hear about an alternative. She is a neurologist so it may take a few days to hear back. So I am wondering is there any other way I can stay on the meds but prevent weight gain?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Someone recommended a fat burner but I never tried those before. My meds work really well and I don't want to stop taking them for something that may not work.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
Singlelady10, If you are taking Topiramate (Topomax) the instructions specifically advise against the Atkin's diet. However, many other anti-depressants cause weight gain. I am currently on Abilify and Mirtazapine, both of which cause weight gain, and I have asked my doctor to change my meds. She has decreased both Abilify and Mirtazapine by half and is putting me on Topiramate which should achieve the desired mood balancing results while helping me to loose the weight I put on with the other meds. I hope this is helpful to you.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
There os a new drug on the market that is not supposed to have the weight gain side effect. Of course I cannot remember the name.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 AM

11,058 posts, read 6,009,331 times
Sugar could well be the initial cause of many of our ailments for which we seek medication. If one can eliminate sugar (and refined carbs) from our diet altogether we would see a host of health benefits. That's not an easy thing to do as sugar is highly addictive. But if one can break that addiction it is quite likely that the weight gain problem with some meds would go away. Be that as it may, I tend to agree with the change of meds school of thought.

There are foods that are good satiators of appetite that also happen to be very nutritious. Raw cashews come to mind as does avocado (both are high in unsaturated fats - omega 3 and 6 - and low in sugar).

All the best to you,
303Guy

Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Definitely it is the antidepressants..I have been through many of them, and that is always the problem with them......Of all of them, paxil was the worst......

Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,275,095 times
im on Lexapro for tinnitus,,yes it causes weight gain,,but whats the lesser of two evils... The Lex helps the severity of my tinnitus and my reaction to it!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 AM

6,402 posts, read 6,293,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you go online you'll find tons of posts which say Lexapro (and others) cause weight gain and you'll find tons of posts which say the opposite.
^ This.

My appetite personally decreased on all SSRIS. Wellbutrin is also known to decrease appetite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health