Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,157,254 times

Advertisements

A good article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17940070

"While antipsychotic drugs are seen as the most effective treatment of psychotic episodes, they are also recognised to have devastating side effects.
Doctors say many patients don't like taking medication long term, but a study published in the Lancet suggests that taking antipsychotic medication more than halves the risk of relapse in schizophrenic patients."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

399 posts, read 582,048 times
Many of these psychotropic/psychoactive drugs have that effect, including anti-depressants and and anti-anxiety meds. What they do is assess whether the benefits outweigh the risks and whether or not the person is willing to get active and do the work themselves, whether or not they're capable of doing so.

I think it shocks people to know this but mental illness and treatment is something that is fairly new and very little research is done and funding is offered for research in comparison to many other illnesses. There's still a major stigma, not to mention that those with mental illness are considered to be a part of the vulnerable populations group and so many are reluctant to use them in experiments.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Many of these psychotropic/psychoactive drugs have that effect, including anti-depressants and and anti-anxiety meds. What they do is assess whether the benefits outweigh the risks and whether or not the person is willing to get active and do the work themselves, whether or not they're capable of doing so.

I think it shocks people to know this but mental illness and treatment is something that is fairly new and very little research is done and funding is offered for research in comparison to many other illnesses. There's still a major stigma, not to mention that those with mental illness are considered to be a part of the vulnerable populations group and so many are reluctant to use them in experiments.
I'm dxed bipolar 2. I have mood swings. When stress comes in they are worse and I was on a mood stabilizer (lamictal) and an anti-depressent (welbrutain). I tend toward the depressive side.

On my ten minute every two months appointments I ALWAYS told them about the problems. I had two sets of stairs to go up and down with my apartment, and felt so dizzy climbing them I had to hang in tight. I didn't think this was safe but it was 'justified'. I was sleeping no more than four hours at a time, and sometimes not sleepign again for over 24 to 36 hours. They gave me ambien. Now I slept five hours and was in a huge fog. Didn't bother telling them, just quit taking it. I write as a hobby. The 'missing word' thing and inability to concentrate was a clear hinderance and I didn't consider it okay. They did.

All of these things needed to be noted But they weren't. And my wishes and feelings were not important. I FULLY understand why researchers don't want to take the chance, but they have thousands of patients with reactions to the drugs which show patterns, but half the time the psych doctor doesn't care enough to note it. Maybe its time to LISTEN to the people who take these drugs, and what they feel and what side effects they have and at least use that as a guide.

I moved away from my triggers and took myself off meds. I still cycle, get depressed, and when needed take the day off, but I'm MUCH less depressed on the 'down' side and don't get the big highs. Nobody will ever convince me to take meds again. I'm not dizzy, I don't have the super bursts of energy which leave one so tired they don't really contribute anything and most of all I don't go around feeling like a drugged out zombie.

I think all doctors who perscribe this type of medication should have to take them and experience the 'inconvient' side effects and try to do their jobs while swimming through fog before they can qualify to pass judgement on weather its 'important' or not.

Psychitry is still the guy in the lab who's testing to see what happens, guessing why, not the science of medical practice. Like it our not, those who take the meds are the guinney pigs. The worse part is so many so called 'doctors' don't even want to hear about problems from patients so their labrats who they miss half the data.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,157,254 times
@nightbird47

That's a great post, best of luck to you.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM

399 posts, read 582,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm dxed bipolar 2. I have mood swings. When stress comes in they are worse and I was on a mood stabilizer (lamictal) and an anti-depressent (welbrutain). I tend toward the depressive side.

On my ten minute every two months appointments I ALWAYS told them about the problems. I had two sets of stairs to go up and down with my apartment, and felt so dizzy climbing them I had to hang in tight. I didn't think this was safe but it was 'justified'. I was sleeping no more than four hours at a time, and sometimes not sleepign again for over 24 to 36 hours. They gave me ambien. Now I slept five hours and was in a huge fog. Didn't bother telling them, just quit taking it. I write as a hobby. The 'missing word' thing and inability to concentrate was a clear hinderance and I didn't consider it okay. They did.

All of these things needed to be noted But they weren't. And my wishes and feelings were not important. I FULLY understand why researchers don't want to take the chance, but they have thousands of patients with reactions to the drugs which show patterns, but half the time the psych doctor doesn't care enough to note it. Maybe its time to LISTEN to the people who take these drugs, and what they feel and what side effects they have and at least use that as a guide.

I moved away from my triggers and took myself off meds. I still cycle, get depressed, and when needed take the day off, but I'm MUCH less depressed on the 'down' side and don't get the big highs. Nobody will ever convince me to take meds again. I'm not dizzy, I don't have the super bursts of energy which leave one so tired they don't really contribute anything and most of all I don't go around feeling like a drugged out zombie.

I think all doctors who perscribe this type of medication should have to take them and experience the 'inconvient' side effects and try to do their jobs while swimming through fog before they can qualify to pass judgement on weather its 'important' or not.

Psychitry is still the guy in the lab who's testing to see what happens, guessing why, not the science of medical practice. Like it our not, those who take the meds are the guinney pigs. The worse part is so many so called 'doctors' don't even want to hear about problems from patients so their labrats who they miss half the data.
*nods* It's like I keep telling people, it's really important not to compare because there really isn't a one size fits all for any of this stuff. You have to be familiar with yourself and what you want and how you react and ask questions and do your own research because the info is out there for you, but you have to be proactive. You just have to find it and use discernment.

We're all so different and these medications affect us differently which is why I try not to knock the medications and keep my personal feelings aside. Some people really don't want to get off of them and feel they work. Some of my peers are on these meds and their families and are "Okay" on them, see the importance of taking them and do and lead a normal life.

I know when I was in middle school, there were a lot of kids on anti-depressants or meds for ADHD and that use to scare me and I'd come home and say, "Mom, these kids are like zombies!" It seemed like all they did was tow the line and that's what pushed me further along on my own spiritual journey. But there's a lot of people who don't want to sit through therapy and talk and talk and talk or do the work. They just want to be fixed immediately to be "normal" quickly because they're afraid of what they'll find when they look inside themselves. They don't know if they can handle it.

Some people do and in those moments you have to find a therapist or a psychologist or medical doctor who is willing to assist you in a way that you're comfortable with. When I was exploring my own anxiety, I did research, learned about CBT and went to a therapist and said, "I feel I have anxiety and would like to try CBT to see if it works. " I told her my symptoms, she agreed, she then proceeded to teach me how to do CBT. Mind you it didn't work because my anxiety at that point wasn't an obstacle to me doing or achieving anything in my life, it was just annoying, but it's like that. Therapists are people and so you're dealing with personalities as well. You have to find the people and things who work for you, you are after all the client, and be willing to help yourself which is far more important.

Kudos to you, nightbird, for being aware of yourself and how things affected you and taking initiative in trying to correct it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
*nods* It's like I keep telling people, it's really important not to compare because there really isn't a one size fits all for any of this stuff. You have to be familiar with yourself and what you want and how you react and ask questions and do your own research because the info is out there for you, but you have to be proactive. You just have to find it and use discernment.

We're all so different and these medications affect us differently which is why I try not to knock the medications and keep my personal feelings aside. Some people really don't want to get off of them and feel they work. Some of my peers are on these meds and their families and are "Okay" on them, see the importance of taking them and do and lead a normal life.

I know when I was in middle school, there were a lot of kids on anti-depressants or meds for ADHD and that use to scare me and I'd come home and say, "Mom, these kids are like zombies!" It seemed like all they did was tow the line and that's what pushed me further along on my own spiritual journey. But there's a lot of people who don't want to sit through therapy and talk and talk and talk or do the work. They just want to be fixed immediately to be "normal" quickly because they're afraid of what they'll find when they look inside themselves. They don't know if they can handle it.

Some people do and in those moments you have to find a therapist or a psychologist or medical doctor who is willing to assist you in a way that you're comfortable with. When I was exploring my own anxiety, I did research, learned about CBT and went to a therapist and said, "I feel I have anxiety and would like to try CBT to see if it works. " I told her my symptoms, she agreed, she then proceeded to teach me how to do CBT. Mind you it didn't work because my anxiety at that point wasn't an obstacle to me doing or achieving anything in my life, it was just annoying, but it's like that. Therapists are people and so you're dealing with personalities as well. You have to find the people and things who work for you, you are after all the client, and be willing to help yourself which is far more important.

Kudos to you, nightbird, for being aware of yourself and how things affected you and taking initiative in trying to correct it.
I'd never blanket say meds are bad. Too many have beneifited. But unmonitored meds can be very bad and unfortunately the average person diagnosed with a condition who takes them deals with an overloaded clinic which doesn't have the time or a GP who doesn't have the training. My nephew is schiphrenic and was a nightmare without meds, but functions with them.

The people who aren't and are being negatively effected either take their own actions or suffer since the system isn't made for them.

But I'm glad this is here. There is a board I read but don't too often post on. The advise can be good and the reference material plentiful, but woe to anyone who says I don't like what my meds are doing, or says I want to try another way. The whole doctor is god thing gets brought up. The admonition that you have to balance the cost is emphasized in favor of the meds. Lots of people will say how much it helped. All fine and well but its ususally not about how meds are bad as much as how meds are not making life better which nobody can judge.

Thanks to the people on this board for not rushing in to parrot all the 'normal' responses one gets.

Last edited by nightbird47; 05-08-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,140 times
Here's my take on it. I deal with *severe* depression. The only drug I've found useful has been Adderal, and I undertake that. I do take another drug, but I am very careful with it and tend to err on the side of caution. Oh, and I'm prescribed another drug, which some might view as "fun" and I undertake that as well.

My liver can only process so much. I know this. Psychotropics meds - do we really know what the long term lasting effects are? As far as antipsychotics go, I am not psychotic. Now, I understand that 5 mgs of Abilify can augment an anti-depressive so it works better. But I've been told to take much more than that. OMG. First, the weight gain. Second, the health effects - as in high blood pressure and diabetes.

There is a reason that when I went in for my last bloodwork all was well. Simply put, I take the drugs I need to. I don't take more.

We live in a society that Big Pharma likes to say - take this drug and you'll feel better. I say let's bring back a society with a support system and I'll feel better.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,659,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Here's my take on it. I deal with *severe* depression. The only drug I've found useful has been Adderal, and I undertake that. I do take another drug, but I am very careful with it and tend to err on the side of caution. Oh, and I'm prescribed another drug, which some might view as "fun" and I undertake that as well.

My liver can only process so much. I know this. Psychotropics meds - do we really know what the long term lasting effects are? As far as antipsychotics go, I am not psychotic. Now, I understand that 5 mgs of Abilify can augment an anti-depressive so it works better. But I've been told to take much more than that. OMG. First, the weight gain. Second, the health effects - as in high blood pressure and diabetes.

There is a reason that when I went in for my last bloodwork all was well. Simply put, I take the drugs I need to. I don't take more.

We live in a society that Big Pharma likes to say - take this drug and you'll feel better. I say let's bring back a society with a support system and I'll feel better.
What's the fun drug?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What's the fun drug?
A benzo and I never abuse it. I am definitely not a drug seeking patient, that's for sure. I believe that the fewer drugs I ingest, the better. Now, the ones I absolutely MUST take, I do. But the ones I feel I don't have to, I don't. And the ones I MUST take could not be labeled as "potential for abuse or addiction" anyway. Well, I guess technically the ones I am prescribed could, but I just don't take them as much as I could.

I think we live in a "pop a pill" society. I don't really believe in that philosophy. For high blood pressure (which I have) I MUST take a pill, but I've gone from three to one, as I've lost a bunch of weight. If I could just get it together, I bet I could go off MOST of my medications.

It just seems like it's one thing after another. Right now my Mom is in the hospital with two fractures to her pelvis and her tail bone. The mortality rate at one year is 27% in her situation. So if chit would just stop happening, I think I could settle down and focus on better health and get off these durn drugs.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,857,745 times
Quote:

But there's also a lot of people I think who do want to put in the work, but their doctors don't. The doctors get paid just as much for a ten minute appointment to write a new script as they do a 30 minute...but with the 10 minute check in they can fit in three times the patients and get paid three times as much. I don't think many patients are even offered anything other then meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health