Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,818 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for someone to be having or suffering from a nervous breakdown, even though they still continue to be well-groomed and hold conversations?

There's a friend of mine who I know has gone through a lot of personal issues/tragedies lately but she still seems to function normal but I sense that something isn't right. She seems to have a million and one things going on and to me it just appears that she's over-doing it trying to keep herself busy, but at the same time, I think she's a freight train about to de-rail.

Am I just over-reacting or is it possible that she could be on the verge or suffering from a nervous breakdown?

Last edited by ayannaaaliyah; 10-06-2007 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,365,310 times
It is possible to be well groomed and have a nerous breakdown. Your friend may just be stressed out. Not everyone that is stressed out and doing a lot of things has a breakdown. She would know if she was on the verge. It sounds like she is just deverting her attention so as to not think about things. There is nothing wrong with that. I have known other people that have done that. But I am not qualified to really say, so just take this an an opinion. I have volunteered in the mental health field, and so all I can really tell you is, yes they can dress very well even after having a breakdown.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 PM

558 posts, read 2,250,538 times
Clinically speaking, there is not really anything termed a "nervous breakdown." From Mayo Clinic:

The term "nervous breakdown" is used by the public to characterize a wide range of mental illnesses. Nervous breakdown is not a medical term and doesn't indicate a specific mental illness. Generally, the term describes a person who is severely and persistently emotionally distraught and unable to function at his or her normal level.

Often, when people refer to having a nervous breakdown, they're describing severe depression. Signs and symptoms of severe depression include:

Agitation or restlessness
Difficulty or inability to stop crying
Sleeping difficulties
Dramatic appetite changes
Indecision
The causes of mental illness usually aren't clear. But these factors may play a role:

Stress
Drug and alcohol use
Coexisting medical conditions, such as thyroid disorders and certain vitamin deficiencies
Genetics

It sounds from your description like your friend may be taking medication to help alleviate the stress she is experiencing. Everyone deals with life's issues differently; it's good of you as her friend to be concerned. Letting her know you're there for her and offering your support would be helpful.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 21,399 times
Yes shes probably feeling like shes going to snap and cant let her mind or her mind just won't stop...it's a horrible feeling and with all i have had happen in the last year thats where i'm at. Its like you feel like your going in circles and your just going to loose your mind..you actually feel crazy. The other night i couldnt get my brain to shut up as i was laying down. I was just hearing everything at once in my head..I thought i was going to jsut explode. I find i keep myself extra chaotic and run around more if i think i'm goingt o loose it. I will keep myself so bust till i drop. Just because i think if i sit and relax for a minute that i will loose my sanity and never recover from it. Especially that i have 2 children. But no one understands it or sees it that way. And for you to be so perceptive she is lucky to have you as a friend. Where my friends will be like oh you look crazy, but i need advice or i have a question...cause so many are selfish. Just let her know you are there for her. And if she needs to sit on the bathroom floor and just break down you will be there with her thats its ok , nothing is wrong with her...just bad timeing. Good luck to you both

Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 AM

5 posts, read 29,893 times
Default stress

Her problem can be stress. Its the number one problem in the country.All of your health and physical problems are stress related. Eliminate the Stress. I can help.

Ardene

Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Is it possible for someone to be having or suffering from a nervous breakdown, even though they still continue to be well-groomed and hold conversations?

There's a friend of mine who I know has gone through a lot of personal issues/tragedies lately but she still seems to function normal but I sense that something isn't right. She seems to have a million and one things going on and to me it just appears that she's over-doing it trying to keep herself busy, but at the same time, I think she's a freight train about to de-rail.

Am I just over-reacting or is it possible that she could be on the verge or suffering from a nervous breakdown?
See if you can slow her down enough to engage in a conversation about what's going on with her first, you will then know if she's having or "on the verge" of a breakdown. This doesn't have to be complicated. If you sense that's something is not right see if you can persuade her into talking to someone,( I mean if you feel it's this serious). It can be anyone from a clergy
layperson, to professional social worker etc. If she's had the background that you've mentioned then she's probably already had some type of counseling. A friend indeed will stick by her like you are doing; keeping her best interest first. I hope this will pass soon for her. We will keep her in our prayers.
God Bless

Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
Quote:

encourage your friend to see a counselor, at least a trained minister at church she may yell at you now but your love for your friend will be recompensed.
stephen s
san diego

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,584,818 times
I'm sorry I've been all over this board, except back here Thanks 2 everyone who took the time to respond.

Yes I've tried to ask about her well-being but she just assures me that everything is good, just a lot going on. She's a very strong independent person and I just think that she doesn't want to be viewed as weak. I don't think she's taking any medication, she hates aspirin.

I'll just continue to keep an eye on her and keep our talks regular, although she's ALWAYS on the go. I told her that if she doesn't slow down, her body is going to shut down in a big way. She keeps saying that she knows/she knows.

Anyway, I'll be here for her. Her husband is a great guy but he doesn't have great coping skills. I've talked to him and he said that he'll keep an eye out for anything unusual. He said that she seems agitated a lot and her patience level is low but he just runs the other way when she gets like that. He's supportive but just doesn't have great skills when it comes to something like this.

i'll keep you all posted. if there are any signs we should look for, please post them, i don't want to miss something.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,409,394 times
Quote:

She might be manic or hypomanic. Not much you can do about it. But if that's what's happening, she will eventually slow down and go through a depression. You can be there for her then...

Greenie

Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,365,310 times
Quote:
She's a very strong independent person and I just think that she doesn't want to be viewed as weak.
This is more than likely the key to her success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health