Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,355,235 times

Advertisements

It's probably like people enjoying chocolate.
It's something to fill an emotional void.
I don't enjoy smoking, so I don't do it but I do enjoy chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM

436 posts, read 811,294 times
I haven't heard of chocolate casuing cancer or disabling conditions.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,854,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
How does one "enjoy" smoking?
Because once you become addicted there is discomfort in NOT smoking and maintaining the nicotine level that you require. People who are addicted to heroin "enjoy" doing it because NOT doing it causes discomfort.

That is the nature of addiction.

BTW - did you know that they ADD nicotine to tobacco to increase the addictive quality of it??

Should anyone want to quit (I hate to be the reformed sinner giving advice but) - CHANTIX worked for me. I smoked for over 25 years and quit 2/25/2007 and haven't relapsed yet.

Quitting – CHANTIX Official Site – CHANTIX is a Prescription Medicine to Help Adults Stop Smoking

Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM

415 posts, read 2,335,558 times
Congratulations on quiting I quit after 30 years and 3 packs a day , been 4 months now, and as much as I still want a smoke, I don't want to even more.

By the way I was spending a ton on money on my smokes, even after I quit I am still broke, now where does all that money go

Chocolate I guess

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM

436 posts, read 811,294 times
Chantix seems to be gaining a very good reputation. Congratulations on your accomplishment

Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 PM

969 posts, read 2,854,999 times
Quote:
Chantix seems to be gaining a very good reputation. Congratulations on your accomplishment
I didn't even WANT to quit - my doctor mentioned it as a possible way to quit when I was ready.

You pick a quit date - and start the medication - still smoke for a week or so - the medicine kills the nicotine receptors so they can't "crave" anymore. Then you continue the medicine for up to 12 weeks - I only needed it for THREE!

It was amazingly easy and I really liked that it didn't involve a patch or gum with nicotine in it.

Sorry to rant on but it REALLY works.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:15 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,307,454 times
For the person that asked how smoking can be enjoyable, for the smoker it is. Like after eating. Or the first cigarette of the day. The last one before bed. After sex.

This comes from my memory of when I used to be addicted. Addicted is what smokers are, and it's a hard hard habit to break. I congratulate those who have quit and stayed off cigarettes.

There were 2 reasons i quit smoking, even though I gained weight after i quit: 1. Because i would get bronchitis so bad, i thought i would cough up a lung. I'd get a cold that would last for months. Always feeling miserable sucked. (and i stunk)

2. This might strike some people as strange, but the other reason i wanted to quit, i took a 'quit smoking class' back in 1995 and they showed how the cilia in the lungs were laying flat, like they died or were near it. Those cilia would help sweep out bad particles of various junk and help keep us healthy. So i wanted those to do their thing again, like swaying in a breeze, sweeping out the bad junk.
And as far as I know, they are doing their thing again.

For more on cilia and how they protect the lungs, check out the link below.
BioScope

Old 10-13-2007, 01:31 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,407,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Congratulations on quiting I quit after 30 years and 3 packs a day , been 4 months now, and as much as I still want a smoke, I don't want to even more.

By the way I was spending a ton on money on my smokes, even after I quit I am still broke, now where does all that money go

Chocolate I guess
Jkwing,

Do you notice any differences after quitting for 4 months? What made you decide to finally quit?

Greenie

Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,548 times
only one way to quit. decide to quit.

i smoked for a few years, my girlfriend smoked since she was 12. We quit together, quite easily, on our own, because we decided we wanted to quit. we had 'tried' previously to no avail, but one day we really made the decision and once that happened, it was quite easy, neither of us have even had a drag since.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,407,508 times
Quote:
How does one "enjoy" smoking?
I used to smoke many years ago. It felt great. It's a drug... you know, like alcohol and coffee, that sort of thing.

I was never a heavy smoker, but I remember when I did quit smoking regularly, I had cravings that went on for months. Up until recently, I would still grab a cig if I was drinking a lot of wine. I'd feel terrible the next day. But then I stopped drinking too.

Greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health