Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 7,679 times

Advertisements

Been reading up on it, as I fight to call her Sybil. How do I deal with this? She forgets things she just said and did. The kids are looking at me as if to say, whats wrong with Mommy. I know I am not the only person in the world to experience this, but she denies anything I witness. In a world where the Man is guilty of everything before repeatedly proven innocent, I feel I have nowhere to go, and nobody to just talk to. Lawyers and shrinks cost too much money, and just calling around and talking to the wrong person will land my ass in trouble. I ask you all - HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM

222 posts, read 714,590 times
Some of what you describe sounds like dementia. I think you'd best start with your primary care physician and get a referral to a neurologist. Your family doctor could give your wife a simple Mini Status Exam which is a short interview that tests memory.

If your wife does have dementia, I suggest you contact the Alzheimer's Association. They have a great many resources that may be helpful to you. I don't know your location, but the Alz Assoc in New York City at 360 Lexington Ave. is fantastic. They have an extensive website and a hotline you can call to talk to someone about this problem.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Why do you think you'll get in trouble for researching? Your wife needs a solid diagnosis. That's the first thing that needs to happen.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Keep in mind that hospital emergency rooms also help with mental problems (not just physical problems). So you can call them and ask what to do - or take your wife there - or even ask that the police take her there if she is a threat to herself or someone else.

And if you call and it is not a big emergency, like what you described above, they should point you in the right direction. Be sure to tell them what insurance you have/don't have.

Last edited by Billy_J; 05-31-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Your county human services office should have a mental health resource to refer you to.

Have you tried recording things and then showing her? It will **** her off, but it may be what she needs to know that she has a problem.

Are there mental health issues in her family?

How old are your kids?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:01 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Is your wife willing to see her doctor? Talk to your wife about the situation at a time when the house is quiet, and you both can talk calmly.

Tell her that you're concerned about her health.

The first step is to get her to see a doctor. If she won't go to the doctor than perhaps make an appointment for yourself with her doctor & explain the issues that worry you right now about your wife's memory, behavior, etc.

Does she only forget things that happened recently, or is she forgetting things that happened in the past also?

Definitely speak to a doctor about your wife's problems.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:38 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
is she under unusual stress? Sometimes stress or anxiety effect memory and perception, too.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Please don't call the ER. They are way too busy. Call your local meantal health center for resources. If you have insurance call your carrier and ask for a paneled list of providers.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 7,679 times
OK all, thank you for the kind advice. After my extreme research into this, it does not appear to be dementia, rather like one other personality is becoming present. Kind of like a 'possession'.
I think the first thing I need to do, in order to prove to her that things happen that she does not remember, is record the event- +1 to Joe. Then she can see that I have evidence, and am not lying.
I doubt that she would invite help without proof.

As for Sue's comment, I guess you don't understand what I meant by what could happen to me if I start poking around in the professional medical world, as a Man, with a very unique claim against his wife. Men are guilty before proven innocent. Period. Women/Mothers are given the benefit of doubt and consideration, IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I have children, and there's this thing called Social Services... a blessing and a curse. Some of these people/case workers in "Protection" agencies, love to jump all over the Man in a situation, because they want to justify the years they spent in College. And I have my story, and she has hers. Mine sounds crazy. And unless I have proof to back up my claims, chances are that my rights will be overlooked. All to follow their protocol, and initially protect the Mother and children first. What a mess that could happen. I have to go about this carefully, and not just start involving agencies and unnecessary investigations.
Video evidence and her witnessing it, is step one.
Once she has realized the truth, seeking help is step two.
This way the children are fine, and agencies don't do a happy dance all over BOTH of our reputations.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Chuck, your wife needs a complete medical evaluation. MAKE AN APPT ALREADY.

Mentally ill people are often incapable of understanding "the truth" so waiting for her to realize it is not a good plan.

You need backup. Do you have any family or close friends to help you get her to a doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
View detailed profiles of: