Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,836,782 times

Advertisements

I had a best friend who I had to cut off a few years ago because of her insane jealousy. She had depression that she didn't get help for so of course it wasn't always pleasant to be around her. I couldn't tell her anything good that happened to me without her attacking me. Seriously, if I told her something like "guess what happened to me today? I found a $5 bill by my car." She would say "Oh arent you a lucky *****" so mean and sarcastically. I do not brag about anything by any means and I was so hurt by the way she was acting to me. Well eventually she went all crazy on me and started leaving me hateful messages on my callnotes and emails. I even went to the police to file a report on her because I was afraid of what she might do, she was getting that out of hand. She lived several states away so thank goodness for the distance.

I haven't spoken to her in a few years and I was sorry our friendship had to end but it was for the best. She had some major self esteem issues and took out her anger and jealousy on others. I tried to help her but only she could help herself. I feel bad for her because she is a good person but what could I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM

605 posts, read 867,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Well eventually she went all crazy on me and started leaving me hateful messages on my callnotes and emails. I even went to the police to file a report on her because I was afraid of what she might do, she was getting that out of hand. She lived several states away so thank goodness for the distance.
That's not good!!! It's good you went to the police - it sounds as of depression may not have been her only problem, unfortunately.
Hurting people hurt people, misery loves company, and soetimes people feel "less than" if they don't have something their friend may have - when really it's not that important in the first place.
Keep it Simple and Easy Does It

Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,362,833 times
Quote:
I had a best friend who I had to cut off a few years ago because of her insane jealousy. She had depression that she didn't get help for so of course it wasn't always pleasant to be around her. I couldn't tell her anything good that happened to me without her attacking me. Seriously, if I told her something like "guess what happened to me today? I found a $5 bill by my car." She would say "Oh arent you a lucky *****" so mean and sarcastically. I do not brag about anything by any means and I was so hurt by the way she was acting to me. Well eventually she went all crazy on me and started leaving me hateful messages on my callnotes and emails. I even went to the police to file a report on her because I was afraid of what she might do, she was getting that out of hand. She lived several states away so thank goodness for the distance.

I haven't spoken to her in a few years and I was sorry our friendship had to end but it was for the best. She had some major self esteem issues and took out her anger and jealousy on others. I tried to help her but only she could help herself. I feel bad for her because she is a good person but what could I do?
You did the right thing. I have been in that situation in my life and tried to help others, but it didn't work. Sometimes the best help you can give is to walk away from them. It is hard because you care about them, but you have to come first.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,836,782 times
I know I did the right thing by ending our friendship but it still hurt because we had been friends for 10 years. She wasn't always crazy in the beginning. A little weird maybe. It was a few years after high school and she moved away when she began acting out of hand. I think she may have been manic depressive but I'm no doctor so I can't say for sure. Sometimes I wonder how she is doing but my husband says not to go there because who knows what she will do. Its been a few years so I don't know how much she has changed or if she seeked help for her mental illness. Want to hear the scary thing? We moved this year and now I live less than a 140 miles from her. Yikes!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM

605 posts, read 867,944 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder how she is doing but my husband says not to go there because who knows what she will do. Its been a few years so I don't know how much she has changed or if she seeked help for her mental illness. Want to hear the scary thing? We moved this year and now I live less than a 140 miles from her. Yikes!
I used to have a friendship like this, and it's kind of a weird feeling when we do wonder how former friends are doing. If we're wondering - most likely the other person is too. I have found that when I'm thinking certain things, and think it's me - I come to find out that others - whether it's a friend or a family member or an aquaintance, was thinking the same thing.
Odd ain't it...It can be sad when good times with good friends come to an end, but change happens all the time. I had a terrible time when i was younger - girl used to be jealous of me all the time, because I always did my own thing. I was a successful loner Jealoust aimed at others hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health