Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

5 HTP works well. I did quite a bit of reading on it and increases the level of niacin in your body which is one of the best vitamins for stress. I take 500 mg of niacin a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFN0cv5cpZQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Yes I have ADD and GAD, from early teen years. I can't take ADD meds because I already have bad insomnia.
Teckeee, not trying to talk you into going on meds but if they help and sleep is your main issue, you might try taking vit C at bedtime. Vitamin C is so effective at getting it out of your system that I will not even drink fruit juice in the morning. Actually vit C will clear a lot of different meds out of your system--once I took a dose and went to the dentist and he almost had to send me home b/c the anesthesia wouldn't "take."

Old 01-14-2015, 09:08 PM

543 posts, read 943,695 times
Here's my dilemma....what's the difference between ADHD and autism/aspergers? If I wiki the symptoms I score high on all of those.

L-Theanine I'll buy ASAP. The rTMS is working but I still cannot concentrate nor sleep.
I'll try L-Theanine first.
Then if no difference to attention span I'll buy a few ADHD tablets seeing as how it'll either work or no.
And eat vitamin C before bed to not interfere with sleep.

In my situation I seem to be attaining normalancy(I even got drunk yesterday night; something I couldn't for years) but the insomnia and attention span still remain a concern.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Here's my dilemma....what's the difference between ADHD and autism/aspergers? If I wiki the symptoms I score high on all of those.

L-Theanine I'll buy ASAP. The rTMS is working but I still cannot concentrate nor sleep.
I'll try L-Theanine first.
Then if no difference to attention span I'll buy a few ADHD tablets seeing as how it'll either work or no.
And eat vitamin C before bed to not interfere with sleep.

In my situation I seem to be attaining normalancy(I even got drunk yesterday night; something I couldn't for years) but the insomnia and attention span still remain a concern.
ADHD and Autism/Aspergers are two separate conditions which can be co-morbid. WebMD is good to luck up conditions.

Nuvigil is a good drug for ADD/ADHD but I couldn't tolerate it.

L Theanine work but I had to buy so much $$ it didn't make sense.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
L-Theanine should not be expensive. Are you sure ADHD and Autism/Aspergers are two separate conditions? I sometimes wonder whether these conditions actually have the same root cause. Or maybe the one causes the other? My Asperger's friend is terrible at getting lost on the roads. I used to be very good at finding my way around. We're all affected in different ways.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
L-Theanine should not be expensive. Are you sure ADHD and Autism/Aspergers are two separate conditions? I sometimes wonder whether these conditions actually have the same root cause. Or maybe the one causes the other? My Asperger's friend is terrible at getting lost on the roads. I used to be very good at finding my way around. We're all affected in different ways.
i feel like a lot of mental health conditions are connected...probably related to biological processes of the brain of which we dont yet have a thorough understanding.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i feel like a lot of mental health conditions are connected...probably related to biological processes of the brain of which we dont yet have a thorough understanding.
Yes that's why some of the best are Neuropsychs they look at a more complete picture.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
ADHD and autism are very different from each other, and each is quite distinct. I'm not familiar with the root causes or brain abnormalities of autism, but I don't think there's any similarities to or overlap with ADHD. I believe ADHD can cause developmental issues and, especially in combination with resulting anxiety or other issues, can sort of look like autism at times, but they're just not the same.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
I believe ADHD can cause developmental issues and, especially in combination with resulting anxiety or other issues,
Interesting. My son was very hyperactive and obviously very bright but had delayed speech development. He later suffered social development disorder and anxiety, leading to depression. He had Asperger's.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Interesting. My son was very hyperactive and obviously very bright but had delayed speech development. He later suffered social development disorder and anxiety, leading to depression. He had Asperger's.
Did he also have ADHD?

I don't know much about it and am stretching myself here, but I'm pretty sure Asperger's (and autism in general) can result in some inappropriate behavior, some of which is hyperactivity not due to ADHD.

I'm curious if children with autism (including Asperger's) tend to also have ADHD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health