Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

It's a very long story which brings me here and I don't want to bore all of you. Anyway, I had a terrible panic attack last year and have not been the same since.

I get very anxious/panicky/racing thoughts doing almost anything... Going out to eat isn't fun anymore, neither is going to shows or hanging out with friends bc I always feel panicky, kind of like I just cant relax. It really is quite terrible.

I went to CBT which helped a little but not that much. I've been rx'd Celexa and Klonopin on an as needed basis. Thing is, I feel like I need it everyday. Now, I haven't taken either of these meds but I was taking xanax for about 2 weeks when this first happened. It helped.

I'm very scared of medication as I'm also a lifelong hypochondriac.

Should I try the Celexa or should I take a low dose of klonopin or xanax daily. Or, should I try St Johns Wort or perhaps Tryptophan? All of these choice drive me nuts. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any experience with anything similar.. I'd really appreciate it! Would love to feel like I used to feel.

BTW I'm 32 and live in Los Angeles..

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,711,607 times
I would ask for busparone. The most specifix anti anxiety agent with the lowest rate of addiction is diazapam. (Valiun).

Since the patent ran out on both, big pharma has vilified both meds.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
Ya, I've read about that... Also, may I had the Celexa rx is for 10mg which I'd cut in half and I asked for 0.125 of klonopin which is the smallest dose available.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:48 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,729,738 times
Klonopin ruined my life for sure! 20 years on that, as hard to quit as heroin! I have constant anxiety/panic & major depression. In the middle 1800s, nearly all Docs knew cannabis ("marijuana") was the best for all mental health issues. Now greed means Docs are not taught about that in med school (8 years of brainwashing by pill cos.) It is God's/nature's medicine, not synthetic garbage. Cannabis oil was in pharmacies early 1800s until as late as 1937.

You have medical cannabis in your state. Most can get Doc's permission easily. Late 2015 or 2016 cannabis should be legal for all adults in CA + medical for kids. I wish I could be somewhere that I am not required to die to enhance crooks profits.

The only significant possible harm from cannabis is more THC than CBD *might* cause panic. Edibles especially might cause this as effect is delayed, making correct dosing more difficult. Usually, it is excellent for relaxing. It can be smoked, eaten, vaporized. Vaporizing cannabis oil is healthiest, even curing high % of fatal illnesses, but smoking for mental health & body pain works, too.

Xanax is very brief-acting & therefore considered addicting. St John's Wort can make a person so tired very fast, not sure how it affects sleep quality. Tyrptophan might help if anxiety is mild. When I tried got hardly any sleep.

Pills for mental health were designed according to a never proven theory about a chemical imbalance. Pill cos. kill about 200,000 Americans a year to get $2 trillion in sales. $10,000 for each corpse!

New theory: "mental illness" is caused by an undiagnosed physical illness. I have multiple neurological disorders that send discomfort signals from all over my body to my brain 24/7. I know my anxiety & depression will only go away if my body is numb. Docs won't give me anything like that, but it would be very safe to do this with the right strain of cannabis. Best wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
I get very anxious/panicky/racing thoughts. I've been rx'd Celexa and Klonopin on an as needed basis. Now, I haven't taken either of these meds but I was taking xanax for about 2 weeks when this first happened. It helped.

Should I try the Celexa or should I take a low dose of klonopin or xanax daily. Or, should I try St Johns Wort or perhaps Tryptophan? All of these choice drive me nuts. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any experience with anything similar.. I'd really appreciate it! Would love to feel like I used to feel.

Thank you!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,701,780 times
Quote:
Hi there,

It's a very long story which brings me here and I don't want to bore all of you. Anyway, I had a terrible panic attack last year and have not been the same since.

I get very anxious/panicky/racing thoughts doing almost anything... Going out to eat isn't fun anymore, neither is going to shows or hanging out with friends bc I always feel panicky, kind of like I just cant relax. It really is quite terrible.

I went to CBT which helped a little but not that much. I've been rx'd Celexa and Klonopin on an as needed basis. Thing is, I feel like I need it everyday. Now, I haven't taken either of these meds but I was taking xanax for about 2 weeks when this first happened. It helped.

Thank you!!!
Celexa can't be taken "as needed". ??? It has to be an everyday thing. It doesn't even show any effects for 7-10 days after you start taking it, and its worthless for anxiety/panic. Especially acute attacks. I started having panic/anxiety issues after my last stay in the hospital, and they just recently started me on Atavan, and dropped the Celexa. I'm not depressed, I'm hyper sensitive to certain things and vet very edgy. High pulse rate, every sight smell sound and feel amplified . Like being in mortal danger, . The Atavan calms it down, and brings me back to normal.

Celexa wouldn't touch that, even after being well established on it. No experience with Klonopin. Usually , for hyper anxiety , doctors use benzodiazapines. Not SRIs or Tricycyclicss. In my experiences, anyway. Neither of the latter are acute medications.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,979,050 times
Klonopin has a longer half-life than most of the other benzos. So it stays in your system longer. I prefer klonopin when I need something more than my daily anti-dep. But I always keep Xanax on hand for a panic attack (which rarely happens any more for me).

Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,734,028 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thank you!!!

Celexa would be daily not prn. You can't take that just as needed it is a SSRI not a benzo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health