Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 PM

285 posts, read 1,207,459 times

Advertisements

Okay so Ive been taking antidepressants a little over 4 years now! Ive taken generic brands of Wellbutrin, Buspar(for anxiety) Zoloft,Paxil, and Effexor.
Im currently now on the generic brand of Wellbutrin and Effexor. Ive been on Wellbutrin since 2011 so yeah. Effexor for about 1-2 months

I have legitimately ADHD-Inattentive I was diagnosed at the age of 5! However as I was getting older at age 11 Ive been getting anxiety depression symptoms and social anxiety and ive been dealing with it for a long time and when I go to the age of 19 I was really having some depression and what made me go to the doctor was because I was loosing interest in things that I once was and I was having serious thoughts of suicide, and when I was having those suicidal thoughts I wasnt on medication at the time.
I've taken medication for my ADHD-Inattentive type from ages 6 to about 14 the stimulants I couldnt tolerate the side effects anymore my body was to sensitive to them.
Anyways in the beginning of 2011 I decided to go to the doctor and telling my psychiatrist whats been going on and since I had been going through depression symptoms for a long time and also having ADHD, he put me on the generic brand of Wellbutrin which treats depression and ADHD.

My diagnosis is ADHD anxiety disorder, (social anxiety) and depression unspecified.
What I really want to get into is that I was doing research on antidepressants and it said a lot of things and the risk of it

However this year there was a period in February where Ive stop taking all my medication and I know you cant really stop cold turkey but I did for nearly a month and I felt bad mentally/emotionally. I couldnt afford my medication because I was laid off and no job no money.

Anyways I dont want to be taking antidepressant for the rest of my life? How long does (Depression Unspecified) last?

The reason why Im on Effexor is because it says it treats depression,generalized anxiety,social anxiety, and panic disorder. Not to mention I dont like the sexual side effects of Effexor! Wellbutrin doesnt have that because its not an SSRI or SSNIR however Effexor is.

I was told by my grandmother that her former husband (my grandfather) had mental illness in his family, but the rest of my family medical history doesnt indicate metal illness which I believe but who knows.

I feel like the depression symptoms and anxiety comes from my environment (I was raised in a jehovahs witness family, school was difficult academically which took a toll on my self esteem and im gay so its even harder)

What would you do?
How long should I be on antidepressants?

My behavioral doctor (psychiatrist) he is retiring and I will go to another doctor who I actually met before during one visit she is nice both of them are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
...I feel like the depression symptoms and anxiety comes from my environment (I was raised in a jehovahs witness family, school was difficult academically which took a toll on my self esteem and im gay so its even harder)

What would you do?...
If I could not afford to go to a doctor/psychiatrist, I would at least read the entire information, for doctors, on the drug(s) I was taking...

http://labeling.pfizer.com/showlabeling.aspx?ID=100

Important Safety Information

Then I would not stay in my environment if that was causing me trouble, I would run away from home! (Move somewhere else.)

So far as school and not doing very good. Note than exceptionally smart people do poorly in school because it goes TOO SLOW! They are bored. Try taking a college class on something you are interested in - something you WANT to learn about.

So far as being gay... A friend is someone who knows all about you and still likes you! People, friends, family should accept you the way you are. If they don't like it, then you don't have to hang around them and you don't have to call them or answer their calls.

Stay away from other people's negativity. It will do you wonders! Move to a large city which has a large gay population - you will love it!

After you change your environment, then you may not need the anti-depressants. BUT slowly stop taking them as advised by a doctor or a psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health