Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:33 PM

446 posts, read 396,597 times

Advertisements

Can we discuss these anti-anxiety/anti-panic meds here?

I have had panic disorder/anxiety disorder for years and years and it has been pretty much disabling, keeping me from traveling, from going places alone or with strangers. Before I retired it affected my work life, what jobs I could take, what jobs I could succeed at, etc. Nowadays it is bad I don't like to go anywhere or do anything, even with other people, because I don't have any "safe" people with whom I feel comfortable.

My doctor prescribed Lorazepam but only on an as-needed basis, for one situation, to help with anxiety so my BP would not get too high. He then prescribed Lexapro but I have been afraid to try it because of the bad side effects. Now at my request he has prescribed Buspar (buspirone) but I'm scared of it too.

Is it better to risk the side effects of meds, or to just deal with the anxiety and panic attacks (which mean I don't have a life, but at least when I stay home I don't get too anxious, except when it's stressful living here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Look at research on GABA, 500mg is part of my sleep combo. But I did get a sluggish thyroid supported after a long 10 yr depression. That's another story. I took anti depressants for 10 yrs and they did nothing for me. Not the answer. After a panic attack which put me in the ER, the MD's sent me home with lorazepam and I was taking 1/2mg for a long while, then I later found Alzheimers is connected to benzos. Don't touch them anymore.

Top 10 GABA Benefits

Inositol is another good calmer which is part of my sleep combo too. Here is one site, there are many others on it's benefits:

https://www.verywell.com/inositol-wh...about-it-89466

Old 11-04-2016, 06:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
In another discussion about similar subjects, one poster reccomended and others backed up the suggestion to try 200 to 300 mg of Magnesium and a Vitamin D3 suppliment. These are the building blocks of emotional stability and if one is deficiant in them, which people often are, the body can't do its job.

I decided no harm, no foul. I got a good quality Magnesium from Amazon and same with the D3. The regular suppliments I take had little or none.

It's only been a few days, but the first time I was sitting there in this grand funk, growing deeper and with really no cause. I decided it was a good time for a test. At first I only took the magnesium. Within the hour, more like the half hour, my funk was gone. The draggy thoughts had vanished. I had stuff I needed to do and couldn't find the umpth to get started, and I felt *impatient* to get it over. Over the last few days, though not quite as dramatically, I've felt SO MUCH better. And that is all I changed.

It's not expensive. I found the chelated magnesium on amazon for a good price and the D3 as well. Give it a try and see. I find that some things work better in a single pill over being part of a mega everything pill as well. It depends on how well or not you injest the multi pill that day in terms of dosage.

Sit down and look at the nutrition you get from your diet and where its lacking and try to improve it, and see how much of an effect that has before using pharmasudicals.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:28 PM

446 posts, read 396,597 times
Thanks.

I take 2000 mg of D3 daily by doctor's recommendation because my levels were so low. I tried magnesium but it did more harm than good -- the first few days it really helped with the anxiety, but then it started upsetting my stomach so badly it made the anxiety worse! I wasn't absorbing it. It was magnesium oxide, which I have heard is not the best one to take but it is all I could find at my store that did not come in a combo with calcium, which I do not need (get plenty with milk). Guess I need to try a different type of magnesium from a different store?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Thanks.

I take 2000 mg of D3 daily by doctor's recommendation because my levels were so low. I tried magnesium but it did more harm than good -- the first few days it really helped with the anxiety, but then it started upsetting my stomach so badly it made the anxiety worse! I wasn't absorbing it. It was magnesium oxide, which I have heard is not the best one to take but it is all I could find at my store that did not come in a combo with calcium, which I do not need (get plenty with milk). Guess I need to try a different type of magnesium from a different store?
The stuff I got is from Viva labs, found on Amazon. It's chelated and works with glycerine, no calcium mentioned. It hasn't bothered me at all. I do notice my mood feels a whole lot better and more even too. Those deadly little downs which sneek in seem to be blocked and even if that's all it does, I'm very happy.

I also have so much more energy. Maybe I'm not burning it all up trying to banish down moods, but however it works I'm a very happy customer.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:34 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Nightbird is right, there are many forms of magnesium, even an "oil" that you can rub into your skin. Epsom salt contains magnesium and absorbs through the skin, which is why a bath or foot soak can be so relaxing.

I use magnesium malate or glycinate.

9 Common Types of Magnesium Explained

Last edited by photobuff42; 11-05-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-05-2016, 09:27 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Lorazepam is highly addictive and if I had know this years ago I would have only taken it when I was having panic attacks in 2002 from the stress of my job. It also helped shut my mind off so I could get some sleep. Now, 14 years later I am slowly weaning myself off this very addictive drug.

They are useful for when you are having a full blown anxiety or panic attack but I would suggest you use them sparingly.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:

I have had panic disorder/anxiety disorder for years and years and it has been pretty much disabling, keeping me from traveling, from going places alone or with strangers. Before I retired it affected my work life, what jobs I could take, what jobs I could succeed at, etc. Nowadays it is bad I don't like to go anywhere or do anything, even with other people, because I don't have any "safe" people with whom I feel comfortable.

My doctor prescribed Lorazepam but only on an as-needed basis, for one situation, to help with anxiety so my BP would not get too high. He then prescribed Lexapro but I have been afraid to try it because of the bad side effects. Now at my request he has prescribed Buspar (buspirone) but I'm scared of it too.

Is it better to risk the side effects of meds, or to just deal with the anxiety and panic attacks (which mean I don't have a life, but at least when I stay home I don't get too anxious, except when it's stressful living here).
I have a dear friend, who had ongoing, but pretty mild anxiety. He did take Lorazepam as needed, but would still occasionally miss social activities or want to just stay at home and was not as outgoing at times. It certainly was never anywhere near the type of disabling anxiety that you appear to have.

He started taking Buspar and it absolutely changed his life. He is so happy and even keeled and "alive". He said that if he would have had any idea how much it would have changed his life he would have taken this/or other medications years ago.
BTW, the doctor did start him on a lower dose and after about six months went up a little higher.

After seeing how much this medication changed my friend's life I would really recommend it. He never mentioned any side effects at all. I have known him for decades and this is the happiest, most stress-free and most social that I have ever seen him during that time.
And, he never has to take any type of "as needed" tranquilizer like Lorazepam.

If you "don't have a life" why not give it a try. Even if you develop mild side effects, I can't imagine that they could be worse that the self-imposed prison that you are in each and every day.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:59 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:

First, I am not mocking you. Anxiety can be crippling.

But do you see the sad irony above? Unable to take anti-anxiety meds because you're anxious?

If meds seem too much, have you tried talk therapy?

Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I've been taking magnesium for years and have no issues, oxide is the worst form one can take. I agree with some of the above posters on chelated and high absorption forms which one can find online. Magnesium deficiency is said to be major in our population. One can just get so much of what our bodies need from foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health