Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 10:40 AM

51 posts, read 43,854 times

Advertisements

Anyone that has has cravings have any food or sweets
that reduced cravings or you just have to let it pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:53 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Many alcoholics have a sweet tooth (after all, sugar is what all that alcohol breaks down to in your body). While eating a bunch of sugary treats is not generally recommended for "normies," they can actually be helpful to an alcoholic in the early stages of recovery. Orange juice can be helpful, as well.

I answered your other thread here, and I'm glad to see that you are still around. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how helpful AA can be. If you live in a town of any size, there are AA meetings going on at almost all times of the day - from 7 AM "Early Bird" to midnight candlelight meetings to strengthen your resolve to make it through one more night without picking up that drink.

Some people think AA is just a bunch of homeless deadbeats and skid rod denizens. A few meetings in large metro areas may have such people in the occasional meeting, but for the most part AA members run the gamut from highly paid professionals to college students to day laborers to successful business men. You can find the number for your local AA office in the phonebook or on the Internet. Pick up that 10,000 pound phone and ask the person who answers for help. Don't be shy about it - alcoholics in recovery are dedicated to service work and consider it a vital part of their recovery.

When you walk into that first meeting, you may very well feel like you have come home - at last a group of people who understand exactly what you are going through! Most AA groups make available a number of books and pamphlets on recovery. Ask for a slender paperback called "Living Sober" - an invaluable guide for the alcoholic in early recovery. It devotes an entire chapter to helpful foods that can be useful when dealing with cravings.

Hang in there a day at a time, an hour at a time, a minute at a time. If you believe in God, pray. As someone who has walked down the path you are on now, you have my every sympathy. Don't give up! Time takes time, but it will slowly become easier and then easier still. Never ever give up!

All the best,
Colorado Rambler

Old 08-04-2018, 02:07 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
You may care to include some Common ink cap mushrooms [Coprinopsis atramentaria] in your diet.

They grow wild in my garden.

It has Coprine [1-Hydroxycyclopropyl)-L-glutamine] which is extremely similiar to Disulfiram (sold under the trade name Antabus) [1-(diethylthiocarbamoyldisulfanyl)-N,N-diethyl-methanethioamide]

If you consume Common Ink Cap mushrooms containing Coprine, and then drink alcohol it produces an acute sensitivity to alcohol. Symptoms include facial reddening, nausea, vomiting, malaise, agitation, palpitations and tingling in limbs, and arise five to ten minutes after consumption of alcohol. If no more alcohol is consumed, the symptoms will generally subside over two or three hours. Symptom severity is proportional to the amount of alcohol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram

Old 08-28-2023, 02:13 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You may care to include some Common ink cap mushrooms [Coprinopsis atramentaria] in your diet.

They grow wild in my garden.

It has Coprine [1-Hydroxycyclopropyl)-L-glutamine] which is extremely similiar to Disulfiram (sold under the trade name Antabus) [1-(diethylthiocarbamoyldisulfanyl)-N,N-diethyl-methanethioamide]

If you consume Common Ink Cap mushrooms containing Coprine, and then drink alcohol it produces an acute sensitivity to alcohol. Symptoms include facial reddening, nausea, vomiting, malaise, agitation, palpitations and tingling in limbs, and arise five to ten minutes after consumption of alcohol. If no more alcohol is consumed, the symptoms will generally subside over two or three hours. Symptom severity is proportional to the amount of alcohol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disulfiram
Can you smoke or snort them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Many alcoholics have a sweet tooth (after all, sugar is what all that alcohol breaks down to in your body). While eating a bunch of sugary treats is not generally recommended for "normies," they can actually be helpful to an alcoholic in the early stages of recovery. Orange juice can be helpful, as well.

I answered your other thread here, and I'm glad to see that you are still around. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how helpful AA can be. If you live in a town of any size, there are AA meetings going on at almost all times of the day - from 7 AM "Early Bird" to midnight candlelight meetings to strengthen your resolve to make it through one more night without picking up that drink.

Some people think AA is just a bunch of homeless deadbeats and skid rod denizens. A few meetings in large metro areas may have such people in the occasional meeting, but for the most part AA members run the gamut from highly paid professionals to college students to day laborers to successful business men. You can find the number for your local AA office in the phonebook or on the Internet. Pick up that 10,000 pound phone and ask the person who answers for help. Don't be shy about it - alcoholics in recovery are dedicated to service work and consider it a vital part of their recovery.

When you walk into that first meeting, you may very well feel like you have come home - at last a group of people who understand exactly what you are going through! Most AA groups make available a number of books and pamphlets on recovery. Ask for a slender paperback called "Living Sober" - an invaluable guide for the alcoholic in early recovery. It devotes an entire chapter to helpful foods that can be useful when dealing with cravings.

Hang in there a day at a time, an hour at a time, a minute at a time. If you believe in God, pray. As someone who has walked down the path you are on now, you have my every sympathy. Don't give up! Time takes time, but it will slowly become easier and then easier still. Never ever give up!

All the best,
Colorado Rambler
What a nice description of the Fellowship.

Haven't been in years, hope those folks are still doing their thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
No.
The hell you can't.

Dick Sackler tried selling folks on the idea you couldn't lick the skittles off an oxy and snort or smack that.

Seen guys try to smoke shrooms, even though they probably just wasted them, but they tried.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-28-2023 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-28-2023, 02:51 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Can you smoke or snort them?
No.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:34 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Alcohol is a drug, and like any other drug, I know of no other way than to just stop at once. Tapering down, or switching from whiskey to beer, doesn't work. It's just kicking the can down the road. FWIW, 12 steps didn't work for me (but whatever works for someone else is great). I don't think it helps to say that once someone quits they're still an alcoholic. I stopped smoking cigarettes 12/07/03. I'm not a recovering smoker, I'm a non smoker. I stopped doing meth about 25-30 years ago. So I'm not in recovery and I'm not still an addict, I'm now a non drug user.

One of the big challenges for anyone who wants to get away from whatever they're hooked on is environment and triggers. Don't get around people who are using, and sometimes just a geographic move is helpful because your home base is full of triggers.

Last edited by stephenMM; 10-05-2023 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-07-2023, 03:18 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Take this with a grain of salt, but I have heard anecdotal stories from Ozempic users that their desire for alcohol has all but disappeared.

My own experience with Ozempic is a raging success with no adverse side effects -- lost weight, lowered my A1C (diabetes), and eliminated other diabetes drugs that weren't as effective. It has significantly changed my taste buds and cravings. I'm not an alcohol drinker (I prefer my high in the form of Mtn Dew!), so I have no firsthand experience on that point.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:33 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Alcohol is a drug...
No, it's not. It's actually a food.

Quote:
... and like any other drug, I know of no other way than to just stop at once.
I agree with this. For some, stopping abruptly is usually dangerous, albeit rare. You almost have to be in a jail cell, a hospital bed, a sanitarium, or down in a ravine, or a detox center to even consider such a quest.

Quote:
Tapering down, or switching from whiskey to beer, doesn't work. It's just kicking the can down the road...
I'd agree here too, just trading seats on the Titanic. Or, you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

Quote:
FWIW, 12 steps didn't work for me (but whatever works for someone else is great).
Can't argue that at all either. Some would say A.A. wasn't working for me. From the age of 18 until 28, I was sentenced to A.A., therapy, community service, court fines, and x number of meetings to appease a probation officer. So, every time I quit drinking alcohol and partook in A.A. for a time, I quit for usually a year or so. But between about 1994 and 2004, I would be good for about 2 years sober, then drink, about 5 times in a row. When I crawled back to my home A.A. group in 2004, I saw my old sponsor, the only A.A. sponsor I ever knew who refused to "fire" me. I went to him and awaited his punishment, his scolding, his torture. But for some odd reason, he did none of that. He just asked me, "So, do you think you have a problem with Alcohol?" I said, "Yes." He then asked me, "Do you want to do something about it, to quit right now for good and all?" I said, "Yes." I was without a plan. I had no fight left. He then said, "Get in. Do these steps. Write me an inventory and you got 21 days to get it done and 5th step it with me." He told me to "get in" and do steps. He told me, "Either you're gonna do this stuff or you're not Bud. This is all up to you."

So I did. It worked.

Quote:
I don't think it helps to say that once someone quits they're still an alcoholic. I stopped smoking cigarettes 12/07/03. I'm not a recovering smoker, I'm a non smoker. I stopped doing meth about 25-30 years ago. So I'm not in recovery and I'm not still an addict, I'm now a non drug user.
I am still an alcoholic. I am a recovered alcoholic.

Here, I'll state that again...

I am a recovered alcoholic.

Now, this does not mean I'm cured. If I drink again, I will sink to the bottom instantly. Of that I am sure. You may not be, but I'm not willing to risk my life on the quest.

Not only that, but I'm not thirsty. I'm not even wanting to drink booze. At all. I no longer fight the obsession and since I have none of the particular type of food in my body, I neither have the craving.

I was never an addict. I did drugs, weed, shrooms, acid, crank, cocaine and the like, but I was never an addict. Quitting weed though was a process. Drugs scared me. I at times tried to use them to control my drinking. At times, it seemed to help. But if I did drugs, it would lead me back to drinking. So when I get sober, I don't mess around with the other garbage, including nyquil, pain killers, etc. Advil, Aleve and asprin are my drugs of choice.

I am addicted to coffee, probably.

Quote:
One of the big challenges for anyone who wants to get away from whatever they're hooked on is environment and triggers. Don't get around people who are using, and sometimes just a geographic move is helpful because your home base is full of triggers.
Triggers took care of themselves for me when I got sober. I didn't miss the drama and the drama didn't want me around anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health