Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:56 PM

946 posts, read 1,135,034 times

Advertisements

At times I get super stressed and upset and I don't have a therapist to call on demand. I can go to my close friends for certain things but when it's related to personal issues (marriage, finances, life, etc) I can't find anyone to talk to and vent.

It's frustrating because I end up being more upset. I try to ground myself and have self-talk to calm myself down.
That doesn't always work, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Vent to a journal. If writing is too hard, vent into a recording device.

Personally I think venting is over rated,

When you are upset about something, you could try visiting a gym, running or doing something strenuous. When I have been super angry, I found I had a ton of energy.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
I'm a big fan of the self-talk narrated journal.

I used to write/type it, but then I discovered my phone has a perfectly wonderful .mp3/.m4a voice recorder, and I just talk to my phone. Then I might play it back (with headphones on) a week later, or a year later. Do I still have the same problems, or frustrations? Did some temporal issue dissolve on its own? Is *that person* still in my life? I find its a great way to document progress on your LT-goals.

Another way to find "a person that you can talk to", is to be that friend for them. I know my own demons about perfectionism, or the tendancy to ruminiate on past mistakes... but once you get some insight into other people's anxiety or self-doubt, it can give you some perspective or scale, and you learn about what they struggle with.

Youtube: podcasters like Whitney Cummings, or Theo Von, or even Joe Rogan - some episodes are frankly open therapy sessions. Stellar example: JRE 3hr 51min interview with David Choe, talking about Anthony Bourdain's suicide. Watching Mr Choe cry, made me cry.

One caveat I'll say about the .mp3 method: if you are at all anywhere near things that are especially dark topics, crimes committed against you, socially unacceptable thoughts, maybe even borderline illegal activities - you most definitely want to ENCRYPT your .mp3 files. Some things are "only for your doctor".

There may be no substitute for a real therapist, but maybe you dont have money, and your health insurance doesnt pay for it (some do). But you have to make due with the tools close at hand.

Oh, I also went out for a 6 mile run today. Never forget good ol' endorphins and copious amounts of sweat as the original + ultimate anti-depressant.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:45 PM

946 posts, read 1,135,034 times
Thank you for the input. I forget sometimes about exercising as a great relaxant!

Old 08-11-2021, 01:50 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,002 times
I Eat cake

Old 08-11-2021, 01:55 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
depends on what it is but I can vent to my husband or my mom.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:58 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
At times I get super stressed and upset and I don't have a therapist to call on demand. I can go to my close friends for certain things but when it's related to personal issues (marriage, finances, life, etc) I can't find anyone to talk to and vent.

It's frustrating because I end up being more upset. I try to ground myself and have self-talk to calm myself down.
That doesn't always work, unfortunately.
Have you tried to write down your thoughts? Write down, slowly, your own thoughts and the dialogue that comes up as well. “I am so ANGRY!” “What is making you angry?” Keep writing untill you feel you actually have some clarification, not just hot emotions.
I hope that helps. It always helps me like as if you have some inner wisdom that needs time to rise.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:04 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Good lordy folks would know I needed venting when my home was being scrubbed from top to bottom. I would substitute cleaning to clear away my stress. I realized I was avoiding resolution. Ranting and escalating the thought process rarely works. It's a talk toxin.

What I do, take deep breathes. Find the theme of stress , then write it down. Mulling over it ..or tabling it.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:41 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I have one friend that I vent to about all the unhappiness, frustrations and stress that I am going thru.

Having one person to talk to really helps me a great deal, and to me, writing (typing) out my thoughts really helps me handle the stress of it, and, as I am typing this, I am going thru a really rough time, that being here on CD is helping me deal with tonight.

yes, it is a bad night, and Monday can't come fast enough....

Old 08-14-2021, 11:10 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Venting is essential for many people. Prolonged 'venting' is the problem, then it's wallowing and keeping it alive for longer than it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health