Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 08:49 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,166,428 times

Advertisements

It's a distinction worth thinking about, with so many people dealing with covid lockdown in the last year and a half.

We Need to Understand the Difference Between Isolation and Loneliness
By Kim Tingley

How many close friends and relatives do you have with whom you feel at ease and can discuss private matters? How many of them do you see at least once a month? Do you participate in any groups? These are among the questions on a survey called the Berkman-Syme Social Network Index, which physicians use to determine whether someone is “socially isolated.” People are considered isolated if they have fewer than six confidants, no spouse and no group affiliations. Those conditions make them less likely to report that they have someone they can count on to listen if they need to talk, give advice about a problem or show them love and affection...

Yet how exactly each condition causes its associated health effects is still an open question. Loneliness could increase stress and inflammation, but it can also impair sleep and drive unhealthful behaviors like drinking and smoking, says Lis Nielsen, director of the division of behavioral and social research at the National Institute on Aging. Isolation, on the other hand, might make it harder to access medical care or nutritious foods or to exercise, which could in turn create stress. Men tend to have a greater risk of being socially isolated, whereas women have more risk of being lonely.

We Need to Understand the Difference Between Isolation and Loneliness - Thefiscalcrisis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 03:39 PM

11,153 posts, read 6,747,950 times
The loneliness quotient has been steadily increasing over the decades. Now it's at 46% I just read.

Partly due to increased social media and proliferation of "friends" that are not really, just online acquaintances that just make people feel more isolated. Less and less "real" friends.

England just initiated a "Minister of Loneliness" ! So it's a real phenomena.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,580,016 times
Interesting link. what the researchers appear to be missing is aloneiness by choice. During the pandemic there was a cartoon on fb - 1st frame, artist painting in studio before pandemic; 2nd frame, artist painting in studio during pandemic; 3rd frame, artist painting in studio after pandemic. All the same frame. Artists spend alot of time alone, so do musicians, marathon runners, people who have alot of animals to take care of or train, any person very dedicated to their hobby/profession or individual sport etc. So while I understand the point the researchers are trying to make, they are ignoring a large grp of people who may be isolated but not lonely. There were good things about the pandemic for people who like being alone and are dedicated to their passions( art, music, animals, running, etc etc)

Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Interesting link. what the researchers appear to be missing is aloneiness by choice. During the pandemic there was a cartoon on fb - 1st frame, artist painting in studio before pandemic; 2nd frame, artist painting in studio during pandemic; 3rd frame, artist painting in studio after pandemic. All the same frame. Artists spend alot of time alone, so do musicians, marathon runners, people who have alot of animals to take care of or train, any person very dedicated to their hobby/profession or individual sport etc. So while I understand the point the researchers are trying to make, they are ignoring a large grp of people who may be isolated but not lonely. There were good things about the pandemic for people who like being alone and are dedicated to their passions( art, music, animals, running, etc etc)
Amen to all that. Didn't read the article, don't care, as it's often as not the same rather strange perspective that you've described that completely misses to boat for (some of us).

I am a loner. No doubt of it, preferring my own company across the decades. My bestie, the booming M-B ENFJ, calls me "the ranger" with more than a hint of condescension; he's right though. Forest tracker, maker of my own path, call it what you will. However: thanks to B-School and my own good sense, I'm presentable and know exactly how to blend in socially. E.g. "fit in" to a team and organization, and get results that people feel good about because they're enrolled/bought in due to my force of will and persuasion (not browbeating). Some of the chumps at work call me a "consensus building" and smooth as glass. I call it leadership. (Probably a few haters too, no one is universally liked and my ego ain't *that* big to believe otherwise.)

The pandemic is a global trainwreck, bummer for civilization. That said I've thrived and prospered like never before, reveling in the so-called "isolation." All hail Teams and Zoom, I'm on them c. 2-4 hrs/day sometimes more and occasionally from dawn to dusk. Works for me! Were it possible I'd pray for permanent masks, cancelation of major events, etc. Yes, not going to happen but we're talking personal preference. There are a fair number of self-selected loners out there...hard to say how many, but it's a real thing. "I think" the Plague is drawing more of us out as a real phenomena, a ho-hum to the alleged "problem" of "isolation." Jeez...

Can't wait for retirement and perhaps moving to a small or mid-sized town. House in suburbia or on just a little land, being left alone by and large. We shall see, Fate has a way of disrupting plans, but this is the dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health