Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 11:52 AM

3,960 posts, read 6,896,934 times

Advertisements

Looking for any tips, recommendations on products, or other advice that might help my wife in the situation we are in.

My wife gave birth to our daughter over a year ago. During her pregnancy she had preeclamptic symptoms like high blood pressure. She was very sick through the entire pregnancy and dealt with a very difficult birth. After 4 days postpartum, she ended up going into full blown preeclamptic shock and was rushed to the ER. That was when she was officially diagnosed as preeclamptic.

She is fine but doctors told her that she needed to continue to monitor her blood pressure, pretty much indefinitely. She has continued to take her BP on a weekly basis but she continues to struggle with anxiety in doing so. We are aware of the white coat syndrome where people face crippling anxiety when visiting doctors. This is like that except with a blood pressure cuff.

When she takes her BP over the course of an hour (like 10 times or more), her BP falls into normal levels but it always starts very high due to the anxiety she faces.

My ask for you all is, does anyone have any experience with this? Anything that has helped you overcome the fear of taking your BP? Is there a diagnosis to this or something else I can google to research further? We want more kids so we want to try and figure out a reasonable treatment.

Also, does anyone know of anything that will monitor your BP overtime without her having to actually take it? Like a fitness watch or something that takes BP? I googled those and they don't seem to be very reliable on the wrist. Any other ideas are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 01:54 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,554,377 times
Try having her sit with the cuff on for 10 minutes while she reads, watches TV, or otherwise just sits calmly, and then take the reading. Not inflated. Just on. There's a reason doctors have you wait a few minutes before they come into the office to check your blood pressure, and it's not just because they are overbooked. It also gives you time to sit down and relax so they can get an accurate reading.

The more she gets used to the cuff the less anxiety she should feel. It's a form of exposure therapy.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:06 PM

8,830 posts, read 5,159,380 times
My BP is always sky high at the doctors. They take it both when I get there, and again before I leave....it always comes down....I am on BP meds though. It is good to take readings at home, and keepa chart, to show the dr.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:57 PM

3,960 posts, read 6,896,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Try having her sit with the cuff on for 10 minutes while she reads, watches TV, or otherwise just sits calmly, and then take the reading. Not inflated. Just on. There's a reason doctors have you wait a few minutes before they come into the office to check your blood pressure, and it's not just because they are overbooked. It also gives you time to sit down and relax so they can get an accurate reading.

The more she gets used to the cuff the less anxiety she should feel. It's a form of exposure therapy.
Great suggestion. We will try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
My BP is always sky high at the doctors. They take it both when I get there, and again before I leave....it always comes down....I am on BP meds though. It is good to take readings at home, and keepa chart, to show the dr.
She does keep a chart at home but even taking it herself gives her tons of anxiety. She isn't on meds but part of the reason we are tracking it is to figure out if she should be on them.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:13 PM

185 posts, read 463,158 times
I currently work in a lab and have been wearing lab coats for a year. I still get a higher BP when I go into a doctor's office.
I went to two in a single day (it was a strange thing, my MD called out for whatever reason, and I was on a waitlist for a last minute cancellation, and it happened to come just hours after leaving Quick Care with negative covid and strep results, no meds "It's allergies.")

Anywho, my BP was pretty high during my first visit, but with the negative covid and strep, I was feeling a lot less stress I suppose. The body is weird. But my Primary *did* prescribe antibiotics, which tackled whatever undiagnosed issue I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health