Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 02:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times

Advertisements

My niece has installed webcam in her mother's apt-
bedroom and living room.
So my sister decides to sit on the edge of the bathtub so she is not being watched constantly by her daughter via her cell phone..
Now my niece is worry that mom will fall off and end up in the bathtub!
My sister also does not want to leave the house or even go check mail or go to the bank or see a doctor,she feels people dont think she is pretty anymore.
she spent a lot of time sleeping.
Is that depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Did your sister allow your niece to do this willingly? It sounds shady and probably not legal. Why did she do this? Is your sister older and lives alone? Did you niece do this as a safety concern? Can someone instead move in with your sister? Your post leaves a lot unanswered. This post might be better in the Caregiver section.

It does sound like your sister has depression though. I am kinda the same way in not wanting to leave the house. And it's almost nap time for me!

Old 02-18-2022, 01:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
My niece has installed webcam in her mother's apt-
bedroom and living room.
So my sister decides to sit on the edge of the bathtub so she is not being watched constantly by her daughter via her cell phone..
Now my niece is worry that mom will fall off and end up in the bathtub!
My sister also does not want to leave the house or even go check mail or go to the bank or see a doctor,she feels people dont think she is pretty anymore.
she spent a lot of time sleeping.
Is that depression?
No one here has any business attempting to diagnose your sister based on a few sentences. There was a reason her daughter felt the need to install webcams. Do you even know why she did it? If you're concerned about her behavior since the webcams were installed, discuss those concerns with her daughter.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:25 PM

My niece wants to keep up with what her mother is up to,she did fall outside her home once,but no big deal.
She also hired a full time maid to take care of her.
My sister would get up at 4:30 am,eat her breakfast and go back to sleep at 6:30 am,spent the rest of the day watching TV or going back to sleep!
She wears her pajama all day since she does not leave her house,and street clothes is too much trouble to put on.
She was on Premarin for many years and then doctor said she should not be taking them anymore,so they trick her with vitamin pills.
Could that be a reason she is depressed?
Indeed,I find this webcam business rather invasive,how would you like someone install webcam in your home?

Old 02-19-2022, 11:17 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I would be pretty depressed if someone put a camera in my home so they could watch me because they don't agree with how I spend my time and want to be able to keep tabs.

I, too, wonder if this is legal. (Never mind the ethics of it.) It sounds like a question for an elder-care advocate.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:35 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
They switch out her medicine to trick her?

How old is your sister? Does she suffer from a cognitive disability?

Old 02-22-2022, 09:59 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
A close relative installed several cameras inside their home, one outside on front door and when we were told, shown really on their big screen TV, I was pretty taken aback and said I didn't understand why anyone would put cameras in their indoor space. Afterward I asked their sibling if they thought it was normal to do this and was told sibling knew a neighbor had done it for security but they (the sibling) wouldn't do it.

Interestingly when we visited again about 3 months later the video cams were gone. If I need video cams in my home for security I'd move. Who is being watched? For what reason? Just weird stuff when it's done indoors. Camera on the front or back door I'm fine with that, not in my personal indoor space.

In the OP's question we really don't know if the daughter is super concerned about the mothers health, even with a maid there or what her reason is. The mother should have some control over her privacy IMO. Sounds like a temporary measure for an elder that will need supervised health care.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:03 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Some people install cams to keep an eye on their kids, pets and caregivers.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:34 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
If this is being done to determine a decline in cognition and physical ability, I could condone it. Even for someone severely depressed. But obviously OP, your sister doesn't like it. Someone should get Elder Help involved (elder abuse group). I am not saying that she's being abused, but it might be deemed being taken advantage of. IMO there needs to be an assessment of her mental and emotional state, and whether this video setup is indeed warranted.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:39 PM

My sister lives alone after her hubby past away years ago,her daughter has 3 kids and installed webcam in her apt as she cant come and see mom every day.
She also found her a live in maid to do housework and keep an eye on her.
When my niece told me my sister has lost interest in going anywhere,not even the mail box,bank or pay her bills,I decide to give her a call.
My sister is in her 70s,she kept saying something is wrong with her,like her brain is kind of foggy?,she has lost interest in eating,watching TV ,going outside and she thinks someone from nearby is spying on her!
I gave her the phone number of our brother it consists of 8 digits,she can only cope with the first 5 and then just cant keep up with the remaining 3 digits!
She said something like she will die anyway?she has no appetite for food,no interest going outside the house.
and she has difficulty keeping up with the phone conversation.
My niece has her tested for ALZHEIMER 2 years ago,and she does not have alzheimer.
But the fact she kept complaining something is wrong with her makes me wonder if she has been on Premarin for many years and now they switched it to vitamins,this could be the problem of losing cognitive ability,she knows something is wrong with her .
also my niece found her when the temperature is 10 degree Celsius,she is still wearing her PJ ,there is no heating inside her apt,and she said she feels fine,she is not cold.
kind of unusual for an elderly not to feel cold.
She would not go see a doctor,and would not go outside as people dont find her attractive??and would not wear street clothes as they dont fit well.(or she does not look good in them).
I think the fact she knew something is wrong with her ,she could be losing brain cells and I wonder if putting her back on premarin would help.
Female hormone is more than just making a woman young with smooth skin,I think it also contribute to the overall well being of a woman.
My grand mothers both lived to 90s and my parents late 80s and 90s,so ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health