Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 07:11 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,945,382 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information from posters with direct experience with the stages of dementia. I have a friend whose relative has dementia but my friend is so upset by the ups and downs that they claim it's "8th stage dementia." We know that isn't true because there isn't an 8th stage. Even early 6th stage sometimes doesn't prevent someone from living independently. The person is deteriorating, but still living independently. Has been a lifelong difficult problem, and getting much worse. I believe it's 5th stage, and am specifically looking for those who've dealt with 4th and 5th stage, which I believe the person is hovering between. Thanks.

Another thing is that the person is a long-term pathological liar. Some of it is harmless, some of it is not. My experience of the person is that they sometimes lie with a negative intent. Other times they lie while adamantly believing what they have said is true. The person is a sh-t stirrer. Some of the behavior may be designed to hide symptoms and difficulties.

Finally, they keep talking about "shiny" things being shone at them from afar, or people leaving shiny things on their property. That is noteworthy, because I have a relative whose wife has been under psychiatric care for many years. She is absolutely convinced that people are following her and shining bright lights at her. Supposedly "they" have followed her from a Midwest state all the way to the west coast. She sleeps with a heavy copper plate on her stomach and chest for protection. The difference with her is that she is a wonderful person and seems to be ok with medication.

This is a quote from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Did you know that mental health issues increase one's chances of dementia, and earlier onset of dementia as well? Scary.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/mental-...a-earlier-life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 01:10 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,314,231 times
Default direct experience with 7 dementia stages

I do, and I was considered an expert on the topic at one point; how will this help you?

Old 01-16-2023, 12:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,946,596 times
I just lost my wife to dementia after 67 happy years.I never noticed stages,she gradually lost her temporal or frontal memory, she could not repeat what was said when you asked a question,as sad as her death it was better than a slow death.
She lasted for around 3-5 years and still was excellent company.It was kind of funny that she would not take a shower for me,only for her daughter,she would get a happy smile for her.
The death was the hardest for me,7/26/2022 at bedtime 10m.
At 9:15 I said time for your meds and as I started to stand she said please wait I like walking down the hall with you,when we got to bathroom she sat on toilet and I stepped back and asked if all was o'k,she nodded her head yes.
I proceded to bed,as she passed the foot of bed she pinched my toe and said good night and proceded to side of bed where I had laid out her night clothes.
I had closed my eyes for a minute or two and when I opened them her shoulder was visible along side of bed,she had collapsed unconcious.I called 911 and they were there in 12 minutes.They got a very slight heart beat and at hospital could not sustain it with respirator,her brain could not sustain breathing,no connection,I was told CPR would not work.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:16 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,945,382 times
DanBev I'm so sorry for your loss and that she was excellent company during her stages of FTD.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:20 AM

273 posts, read 209,160 times
I'm so sorry DanBev. It's good that your wife was still excellent company even with advanced dementia. That must give you many pleasant memories of her. I like that she pinched your toe before going to her side of the bed, so sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health