Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 07:35 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

Yes, while it's good to have goals to strive for & work on self-improvement, for many it's equally as satisfying to finally come to a point in life where there's nothing more to do for a while & you can just live life, take a breather, & do everything you want to do! Examples of what many are satisfied w/ in life are the following:

- work/career - you'll be in this type of job for years to come
- school - you've earned all the degree(s), etc. you're ever going to earn
- where I live - you love where you live & not trying to move anytime soon
- the type of place I live in - whatever type of dwelling it is, you're satisfied at least for now
- socially w/ friends & family - you're set there

If you're the type who always has to stay busy, I suggest take up new hobbies, volunteer, etc. & there's always something new to learn:

- learn new language
- cooking/gourmet cooking
- get a dog
- go hiking/camping
- meditate
- get into fitness

the list is endless...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 11:22 AM

141 posts, read 416,866 times
Thanks for all the input. I will try to take some of those tips and do something with them. I don't know, I feel like I'm drowning. Like some kind of midlife crisis at age 32.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:55 PM

23,261 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymaker221 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I will try to take some of those tips and do something with them. I don't know, I feel like I'm drowning. Like some kind of midlife crisis at age 32.
Then its time to change what isn't working OP!

Old 12-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I wish you well! I don't suffer from depression myself, but I've never felt like I've always had to stay busy probably because I usually always have been, so I look forward to & savor relaxation!

Old 12-05-2022, 02:44 PM

141 posts, read 416,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I wish you well! I don't suffer from depression myself, but I've never felt like I've always had to stay busy probably because I usually always have been, so I look forward to & savor relaxation!
I envy you. Guess I'm really that type. I got something planned this week and I'm already feeling slightly better. Anything that's a goal with even the smallest kind of payoff in the end is what allows me to be happy.

Next step is I got my eye on a new local martial arts gym, something I've put off for years.

Thanks all.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I envy you. Guess I'm really that type. I got something planned this week and I'm already feeling slightly better. Anything that's a goal with even the smallest kind of payoff in the end is what allows me to be happy.

Next step is I got my eye on a new local martial arts gym, something I've put off for years.

Thanks all.

That's nice of you to say, but I wish you all the peace & contentment possible too! Good for you on finding the martial arts, I hope you enjoy it!

I tell you, the way my life is these days, it's great to have a full free day just watching TV at this point while enjoying some good food!

Also, if you haven't already, read these threads that may be helpful to you.

I started these threads:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ment...ings-life.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...rfect-day.html

I happened to post in these:

M post is #11:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...redom-not.html

My post is #25:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ment...n-releave.html

My posts are #4 & #21:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ment...-solitude.html

Old 12-05-2022, 03:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
The thing that has always allowed me to ward off depression was having a goal to reach and keeping myself busy. Completely ran out of those this year, I'm just floating through life right now in my free time wasting time.
I'm trying to find goals and a purpose but I can't find it. And it's getting harder the longer I stay in this mental hole.
You ever got to the same point? What is supposed to help me snap out of it. Watching a motivational speech on youtube? I'm lost here.

Sometimes nothing works until you go back to your shrink for a few sessions to talk.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:06 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
The thing that has always allowed me to ward off depression was having a goal to reach and keeping myself busy. Completely ran out of those this year, I'm just floating through life right now in my free time wasting time.
I'm trying to find goals and a purpose but I can't find it. And it's getting harder the longer I stay in this mental hole.
You ever got to the same point? What is supposed to help me snap out of it. Watching a motivational speech on youtube? I'm lost here.
what you are describing is very very similiar to artists/ painters block. an artist can go along for months sometimes years, be very good at what they paint and they suddenly they dont know how anymore or cant find anything to paint. Lots of articles/ books about the problem. its well known. Google it and maybe there will be a suggestion that might help you in your situation. Usually you have to start with a small step, then pat your self on the back and reward yourself for taking that small step. then do it again. and do it again. For an artist it might be picking up a pencil and drawing lines or doodles. then maybe drawing their cup. on and on and slowly increasing the complexity. reward yourself and pat yourself on the back. you can apply the process to anything.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,039,331 times
Quote:
Are you on any medication for your depression? It runs in my family very much and there are all sorts of medications that will help a lot of different types of anxiety and depression. I'm sure there is something that will work for you, though you may have to go through a few to find the one that works. Nobody has to be depressed and trying to get out and enjoy things is very important, as well as prayer. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:17 PM

257 posts, read 165,682 times
Find a cause to fight for. So much injustice in this world you have thousands of choices.

Something in this world must rub you wrong for sure.

Your in a mental health forum, how about fighting back and spreading awareness of the brutality and human rights violations behind psychiatric locked doors?

https://mindfreedom.org/about-mfi/mfi-faq/alt/now/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health