Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 03:30 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times

Advertisements

(I didn’t want to hijack a similar thread)

I have a friend in her 50’s who has ADHD. Her life is rapidly unspooling before my eyes and I can’t help her. I’m afraid she’s going to lose her home because of her condition and behavior. Sometimes she takes her prescription meds but not like she’s supposed to. She has plenty of friends who are aware that she’s a mess. We all shrug and try to carry on in a normal supportive way.

Her two sons are in their 20’s and live 1000 miles away near their father. None of them are in a position to help, though one son tried staying with her for a few months. He couldn’t take it.

Her somewhat estranged husband and sons are coming for Christmas. I’m hoping they’ll figure out how to help her.

She invited me inside her house for the first time in four years. She’s been trying to clean up since her roommate passed away about that time. It’s coming along but still kind of horrible.

Whenever I go around her I end up feeling really upset. She feels lonely and isolated so I try to contact every week or so to be sure she’s okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 08:04 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
This sounds more than just ADHD happening. You say she has medication, but is she getting regular treatment from a doctor or therapist?

Old 12-07-2022, 08:39 AM

746 posts, read 494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

I have a friend in her 50’s who has ADHD. Her life is rapidly unspooling before my eyes and I can’t help her. I’m afraid she’s going to lose her home because of her condition and behavior. Sometimes she takes her prescription meds but not like she’s supposed to. She has plenty of friends who are aware that she’s a mess. We all shrug and try to carry on in a normal supportive way.

Her two sons are in their 20’s and live 1000 miles away near their father. None of them are in a position to help, though one son tried staying with her for a few months. He couldn’t take it.

Her somewhat estranged husband and sons are coming for Christmas. I’m hoping they’ll figure out how to help her.

She invited me inside her house for the first time in four years. She’s been trying to clean up since her roommate passed away about that time. It’s coming along but still kind of horrible.

Whenever I go around her I end up feeling really upset. She feels lonely and isolated so I try to contact every week or so to be sure she’s okay.
The best way is for her to start jucing. It sounds as if she doesn't have much $ so here is my suggestion. Travel to different food banks, get their produce and vegetables. Give a fake name and address if needed.

1. Visit. Mom and Pop Health Food Stores. We get enough carrot tops FOR FREE, for all 3 of us to juice twice per day with a ton leftover. The carrot leaves they cut off. FREE occasional Red Beet Greens are even better! While we are there, we buy our flaxseeds and Kale. We buy the carrots, celery, squash, produce, vinegar, etc discount grocery store down the street.

She WILL feel better but it will take a few weeks. She needs to keep taking this recipe, or something similar.

We juiced just 1x per day for many years and it didn't do nearly as much for our health
Once we went to 2x per day, *morning and evening* our lives dramatically improved.

1. 1 Cup Kale, If not, use the free Carrot tops
2 1/4 cup of green baby cabbage leaves. Comes in a plastic tub for $3.99. lasts a long time
3. 1/2 of a Medium Sized Carrot.
4. 1 to 1.5 of a Celery Stalk.
5. 1/3 cup of Cucumber. Sometimes I alternate with Yellow Squash or Zucchini if on sale.
6. 1 Tsp of Flax Seeds.- 3 cents per day!! CHEAPEST MOST NUTRITIOUS BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
7. 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar. A MUST if you are going to juice raw veges since the gut may not tolerate it well.
8. 1/2 an Apple. I alternate with frozen dark cherries I get a huge bag of organic for $10.
9. 1/3 cup of a Red, Yellow or Green Bell pepper. OR 1/4 cup of red beet. IF The red beet is on sale, I prefer organic but it's not required, and the greens are attached. Then I juice the greens too.
10. Garlic- about 1/2 a clove if tolerated. Cheap
11. 1/2 an apple. Helps the flavor too.

Goodwill has grinders, it's about 5 cents per day for your flaxseeds. They are cheaper than salt.

Most people have gut issues so raw vegetables are not easily tolerated but are great for ADHD. I used to have ADHD. The Apple Cider vinegar, just a tsp is enough to stabilize the gut. Our son was bloated and had gas from juicing raw vegetables at first but after some weeks, it subsided due to adding Braggs apple cider vinegar

We juice this recipe in the morning and evening. Our sons kidney stone shrunk, he no longer has high blood pressure (it's elevated but not high) so he's off Blood pressure medication, he no longer has sleep apnea, he has color in his face, his complexion is much nicer, he lost a whole pants size so bought all new pants, he no longer has Acid Reflex he was taking medication for- the Apple Cider Vinegar cured his gut after about a month, he took a tsp every other day. He was also throwing up which he doesn't do any more.

I wish I had added the Apple Cider vinegar in at first as the kale is a bit hard to digest. May want to start with just Celery, carrot and kale at first. Just 1/2 cup of kale with 2 celery stalks, and 2 medium carrots. It will help the mind but not nearly as much as if you add more Kale, flax seeds, garlic, cucumber and some form of squash like yellow or zucchini. Bell peppers are great but a bit pricey.

If needed, visit a few food banks and give a fake name and address to get more vegetables until she is able to get her mind under control. Mom and Pop health food stores, their produce person, will often give you free Carrot tops, the greens, if you ask for them and tell this story. Usually it's just saved for someones chickens. They may have beet greens too which are so nutritious but more people buy carrots than beets. So you can try to add those to the juice above too.

A juicer can be bought at Goodwil. They often have grinders for the flax seeds which are the best for nutrition for the price, as is the apple cider vinegar.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:02 AM

257 posts, read 165,852 times
Quote:

Sometimes she takes her prescription meds but not like she’s supposed to.
What does Adderall Do addiction?

The brain of an addicted person is dependent on Adderall to stimulate alertness and productivity. Without Adderall, addicted people often feel tired and mentally foggy. These are symptoms of Adderall withdrawal, a strong sign of an addiction.

The industry standard is to blame the victim but all forms of child meth adhd pills are no joke.

Its just amazing the capacity of the mental health industry to always blame anything that goes wrong on its victims and never ever take any responsibility. Usually when psychiatric drugging goes wrong the solution is blame the persons so called mental illness and more and more drugging.

The question that always needs to be asked is what were you are the person your are talking about like BEFORE they got so called help and what are they like now?

"Why do so many individuals persist in taking psychoactive substances, including psychiatric drugs, after adverse mental and behavioral effects have become severe and even disabling? The author has previously proposed the brain-disabling principle of psychiatric treatment that all somatic psychiatric treatments impair the function of the brain and mind. Intoxication anosognosia (medication spellbinding) is an expression of this drug-induced mental disability. Intoxication anosognosia causes the victim to underestimate the degree of drug-induced mental impairment, to deny the harmful role that the drug plays in the person's altered state, and in many cases compel the individual to mistakenly believe that he or she is functioning better."

Before you blame ADHD as the psychiatric drugging industry would like look at the whole picture.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:12 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Maybe her primary issue is the fact that her roommate died. Sounds like she's got a hoarding situation going on? You didn't exactly say that...but I'm reading between the lines I think.

Hoarding is sometimes the result of experiencing loss that they can't handle. Her husband and her kids are...far away, her roommate died...maybe it's all more than she can rightly deal with.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Adderall addiction and juicing? I know CD is big on projecting and grasping at straws, but wow!

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. What about her ADHD do you think is causing her life to unspool, is she having trouble keeping to a schedule for paying her bills, too distracted to keep up with household cleaning or other necessary household activities? Is she a mess because her ability to work or hold down a job is affected? Why exactly do you think she could lose her house?
I agree ADHD by itself is not the likely culprit.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:44 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
If someone could actually do the juicing regime it might be worth a try. The OP's friend isn't a candidate for that. It takes a lot of focus and work. If it were being done for her it would be interesting to see if it would work. It certainly can't hurt anything unless someone has a sensitivity to oxalates (high greens content).

I feel for you and your friend, OP. In the past 20 years I've dealt with what seems like more than my share of hoarders in my periphery. There are varying reasons for it, from what I've seen. This case seems like confusion and depression. I really hope she can get some effective assistance.

A lot of times assisted living is the only thing that manages hoarding. I was lucky that my dad is a minimalist. When he went into assisted living I told my dad his room looked like a Buddhist hut LOL. However, his wife who died was a hoarder and a messy and so was her son. It was pretty awful. I've encountered a few other situations too. I don't understand it and probably never will. If they must keep stuff, at least organize it and store it effectively but that's not what they do.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe her primary issue is the fact that her roommate died. Sounds like she's got a hoarding situation going on? You didn't exactly say that...but I'm reading between the lines I think.

Hoarding is sometimes the result of experiencing loss that they can't handle. Her husband and her kids are...far away, her roommate died...maybe it's all more than she can rightly deal with.
She moved here to professionally care for her friend who had terminal cancer. She and her husband planned to divorce so this was her way to find an easy landing. She has the proper nursing certification and looked after her parents as they declined some time ago. She has lots of old friends in the area so she wasn’t entirely isolated.

Yes, ADHD and depression, but I’m not sure she’s a hoarder. She’s constantly churning through her belongings until they end up on the porch or front yard in the rain. She holds on to a lot of weird junk though. She can’t stay focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Adderall addiction and juicing? I know CD is big on projecting and grasping at straws, but wow!

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. What about her ADHD do you think is causing her life to unspool, is she having trouble keeping to a schedule for paying her bills, too distracted to keep up with household cleaning or other necessary household activities? Is she a mess because her ability to work or hold down a job is affected? Why exactly do you think she could lose her house?
I agree ADHD by itself is not the likely culprit.
She can’t make herself get a job. She claims this is the first time in her life that she’s had to deal with bills and household repairs. A year or so ago we were walking together on a regular basis and she asked for tons of advice on getting her house repaired but she never followed through.

Until recently she’s been living on a rapidly dwindling nest egg. I think that’s gone. She just sold something she paid too much for for a fraction of its value because she was afraid she couldn’t afford cat food. Her kitchen sink doesn’t work; her refrigerator, dishwasher, and central heat are also kaput. There’s an overflowing litter box in one room, a mattress lying in the back yard, and a cat **** soaked sofa, which I offered to help her with, in the front yard. You have to step over trash to get in the front door, but she’s managed to intricately decorate her guest bathroom with all sorts of doodads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This sounds more than just ADHD happening. You say she has medication, but is she getting regular treatment from a doctor or therapist?
She found a doctor not that long ago who was willing to take her but I’m not sure what’s going on with that. She’s still on her husbands health insurance. From all indications, he’s a good guy.

AND juicing…? Right. She does have access to fresh produce but without money, a sink, or fridge, she won’t be doing that.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:27 PM

BTW, I appreciate everyone’s input. Summer before last I had a serious sit down conversation with three of her closest friends, people who’ve known her for decades, to tell them about my concerns. They said she’s always been like this, except now she doesn’t drink, thank goodness.

She’s funny, quite gifted and kind. I like her a lot.

Do I need to talk to her family? Does she need a social worker?

Old 12-07-2022, 04:47 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
She moved here to professionally care for her friend who had terminal cancer. She and her husband planned to divorce so this was her way to find an easy landing. She has the proper nursing certification and looked after her parents as they declined some time ago. She has lots of old friends in the area so she wasn’t entirely isolated.

Yes, ADHD and depression, but I’m not sure she’s a hoarder. She’s constantly churning through her belongings until they end up on the porch or front yard in the rain. She holds on to a lot of weird junk though. She can’t stay focused.

She can’t make herself get a job. She claims this is the first time in her life that she’s had to deal with bills and household repairs. A year or so ago we were walking together on a regular basis and she asked for tons of advice on getting her house repaired but she never followed through.

Until recently she’s been living on a rapidly dwindling nest egg. I think that’s gone. She just sold something she paid too much for for a fraction of its value because she was afraid she couldn’t afford cat food. Her kitchen sink doesn’t work; her refrigerator, dishwasher, and central heat are also kaput. There’s an overflowing litter box in one room, a mattress lying in the back yard, and a cat **** soaked sofa, which I offered to help her with, in the front yard. You have to step over trash to get in the front door, but she’s managed to intricately decorate her guest bathroom with all sorts of doodads.

She found a doctor not that long ago who was willing to take her but I’m not sure what’s going on with that. She’s still on her husbands health insurance. From all indications, he’s a good guy.

AND juicing…? Right. She does have access to fresh produce but without money, a sink, or fridge, she won’t be doing that.
What you have described is hoarding. On top of that, it is a house that is on the way to being condemned. When plumbing and heat don't work, that's a problem. What if her toilet goes out? That is likely. What if she can no longer take a shower? The final step would if the electricity goes off and not likely to come back for whatever reason. I know of a house that was condemned for being in that condition.

She is a candidate for managed living. She is not able to help herself. That time has long passed. She has to be evaluated by her doctor and a psychiatric professional. She might well welcome assistance, after initially being highly resistant. If her husband cares at all he will step in and get effective help. In fact, he is her next of kin so he would likely be expected to as the initial resort. That can very from state to state, of course.

Last edited by pathrunner; 12-07-2022 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health