Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 04:47 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times

Advertisements

Why would I step in poop? I'm not blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 09:39 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Ugh!

Old 03-26-2023, 10:00 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Three years ago we had a close friend who decided to go barefoot full-time.

[She was a Harvard lawyer, who worked for a couple of years as an assistant D.A. for Los Angelos county until she became disenfranchised and walked away from the Law career field.]

Her chosen life path led her to living near us here in rural Maine. When we knew her she lived remote and rural, off-grid.

Chopping and hauling firewood every day. Through the winters she chopped through ice to gain access to river water, which she hauled by the bucket into her cabin.

She kept chickens and goats. All winter long she tended her livestock, barefoot, in the snow and ice. And through the Spring mud season, etc.

Sadly a year ago, she developed pancreatic cancer and quickly died.

I miss her.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:56 AM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My mind is pretty busy already. I don't need to add to my thoughts.

If you have "negative loops" running around in your head as you stated in post #3, you should focus on that.

Maybe you should think about never brushing your teeth as you posted in another thread.

" I haven't brushed my teeth in years"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dent...eth-years.html

I personally find going barefoot outdoors and not brushing my teeth equally disgusting.
And… not very bright to go walking around barefoot if one is truly diabetic. Good way to lose a foot or a leg or two.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:26 PM

257 posts, read 166,311 times
Default Going barefoot for mindfulness, better mental health

If I go for a long walk barefoot my thoughts are engaged with navigating my steps and the different textures of the ground, the different temperatures dark or light sun or shade. It feels good.

Go for a walk outside with shoes on its more likely what ever is bugging me is going to continue to do so.

Barefoot helps strengthen the muscles and tendons of the feet and lower legs. It improves balance, mobility, and posture, and has a positive impact on circulation and the nervous system.

"When we are barefoot, we receive a massive amount of sensory feedback from our feet—far more than when we are in overly-supportive and overly-cushioned shoes. We receive increased information from the foot about its position in space, the texture of the ground and muscle tension. Being barefoot sharpens the homunculus of the foot in the brain and lays the foundation for better balance and improved motor control through the increased information intake and subsequent brain growth. When someone wears overly supportive and cushioned shoes, the sensory homunculus becomes underdeveloped, and the information the brain receives from the foot is distorted, resulting in a lack of control. When someone is barefoot regularly, the sensory feedback from the foot becomes more detailed and refined, allowing the foot and brain to delineate small changes of sensory stimuli. The result is better control of motor function and balance." https://www.correcttoes.com/foot-hel...ts-your-brain/

You pay attention to every step when you’re walking barefoot. You have to be on the look out. Awareness of what’s in front of you and how the ground texture in this moment quiets inner chatter and clears your mind and helps you focus on the here and now.

I can walk miles now if I want, my feet wore only supersensitive in the beginning.

Started with short 15 to 20 minute walks to adapt. As your feet get used to walking without shoes, you easily increase the distance and time.

Focusing on your steps, rather than your problems, helps clear the mind and put you at ease.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-26-2023 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Merged duplicate thread with this one.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:37 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Not in Arizona unfortunately, the trails have too many sharp objects , ground wasps, scorpions, cactus thorns, granite shards etc. I walk barefoot around the house, along beach shorelines and what I’d deem safe areas in other states.

I find practicing dadirri and hiking in nature very rejuvenating and yes clears the mind.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Not in Arizona unfortunately, the trails have too many sharp objects , ground wasps, scorpions, cactus thorns, granite shards etc. I walk barefoot around the house, along beach shorelines and what I’d deem safe areas in other states.

I find practicing dadirri and hiking in nature very rejuvenating and yes clears the mind.

Thats cool.

I walk the streets and sidewalks to the park or beach from home. Or just any walk outside. Before driving to go barefoot hiking I guess I would look at the trials online. The only surface I really can't do is gravel.

Like to get a dog for walking but its a commitment for sure. All these people walk their dogs around here missing out with shoes on. Takes a bit to get used to being barefoot, to me its as natural as being bare handed now. Don't ever have that feeling I am missing something.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
And… not very bright to go walking around barefoot if one is truly diabetic. Good way to lose a foot or a leg or two.
your just parroting a MYTH !!

People with chronic neuropathy often lose the ability to feel temperature and pain. They can burn themselves or develop open sores that are the result of pressure and friction THEY CANT FEEL, from an ill-fitting shoe.

Neuropathic foot ulcers form as a result of a loss of peripheral sensation and are typically seen in individuals with diabetes.

BUT I dont have any neuropathy !!

Morton's neuroma can usually be diagnosed by the way the pain shoots out to between your third and fourth toes. High heel shoes can contribute to the occurrence of Morton's neuroma,

Thirty seven percent of the population reported evidence of neuropathy; tight-fitting shoes can worsen the symptoms of neuropathy by putting pressure on the nerves and potentially causing wounds and ulcers due to a lack of sensation from friction and pressure.
Nerve Entrapment. Nerve entrapments are frequently marked by sensitivity on the top of the foot. Shooting or burning pain is often present. Entrapments, commonly known as pinched nerves, can be caused by repetitive compression or some other kind of trauma to the foot. Tight shoes are many times they cause of nerve entrapment.
Do your shoes rub the wrong way? Poorly fitting shoes are a leading cause of foot ulcers.

That stupid myth about diabetics must always wear shoes inspired this screen name.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I personally find going barefoot outdoors and not brushing my teeth equally disgusting.

Podophobia is an intense fear of feet. “Podos” is the ancient Greek word for feet. Someone with podophobia may experience severe anxiety when they see or think about their own feet or other people's feet. Their fear might focus on bare feet, but it can also apply to feet covered in shoes and socks.

They are the ones who make you leave stores.

I was barefoot in a head shop, you know kratom, weed pipes, waterbongs, cigarrettes and CBD oils, and T-shirts and all kinds of stuff. This was about 3 blocks from the beach too. I was with a buddy just looking at all that.

The lady in there freaks out that because Im not wearing shoes. Makes me leave.

I said what I have to leave? YOU sell drug paraphernalia but are worried about my feet !! What !

Old 03-27-2023, 10:20 PM

Lillie767

I personally find touching public touch screens bare handed disgusting. Cash only gets exchanged by one or two people a day but the screens and buttons at checkout lines in busy stores, YUCK

I love barefooting UV sunlight sanitizes the ground outside but touch screens and public buttons all those fingers that been in noses and who know where, yuck yuck yuck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health