Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 04:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Introvert View Post
How would a company like Wal-Mart accommodate depression or anxiety would they make them a greeter even if they are young? I know there is a young man who is 31 years old who has social anxiety and works as a greeter.
What sort of job would you want at a big box type store and what sort of accommodation do you feel like you need in order to perform your job duties?

Why has a sign holding job worked out, but other jobs in the past have not? What accommodations would have enabled you to work successfully at those jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 05:54 PM

32 posts, read 18,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Your writing skills as expressed in these posts, and the fact that you graduated college with a 3.75 GPA don’t reflect someone with an IQ of 55 to 70. Often, anxiety issues interfere with performing the test tasks at actual ability level.
Thank you your kind. I had met some milestones late as a young adult from 18 to 29. I didn’t know how to vacuum the floor until I was 23 which most people would know as a teenager. I didn’t know how to mop the floor until I was 26 which most people know as a teenager. I didn’t know how to boil rice, boil hot dog and cook omelette or use the oven until I was 25 which most people would know as a teenager. I didn’t know how to wash dishes until I was 23 or use the dishwasher until I was 27 which most people would know as a teenager. I didn’t know how to use another cities public transportation like a bus or a train until I was 29. I didn’t know how to fold clothes until I was 25 and I didn’t know how to use the laundry until I was 23. I didn’t know how pay by debit card until I was 25. Most people know how to do the things I mentioned at an early age as a teenager. I don’t know how to board an airplane by myself at 30 years old which is embarrassing. That’s why I think of myself as low iq, worthless and useless. Your right about anxiety affecting test scores. Anxiety also affected my decision making skills like dropping three courses one of them twice in college when I might have had a chance to pass them if I had not dropped it but it was the fear of failing which one of my cousin’s notice and getting a low gpa that made me dropped three courses. I took summer school to pass all three and that’s how I graduated from college with a 3.46 gpa.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
What sort of job would you want at a big box type store and what sort of accommodation do you feel like you need in order to perform your job duties?

Why has a sign holding job worked out, but other jobs in the past have not? What accommodations would have enabled you to work successfully at those jobs?
As for sign holder jobs it’s because it’s the only easiest job in the planet because you hold and wave a square advertisement sign I didn’t know a job like that existed in American or Canada where I lived. The first company I worked for as a sign holder was a tamp company at 26 years old for five months before COVID happened and the second company I worked for as a sign holder was temporary for three months and they both said I had done a wonderful job with that position and I worked well. The current company I’m working for as a sign holder I’m doing great which the owner and managers are telling me. As for accommodation in the workplace I need written instructions because I get confused a-lot and misunderstand things like misinterpreting things since I don’t have good listening skills. Noisy environments makes it harder for me to listen. When I’m in my anxiety phase I panic and get worried a lot where I start to sweat and talk loud so I need a calming room. I think the greeter role in Walmart I would do ok in. Even a flagger job I think I would do ok in. In my sign holder job I don’t get any breaks if I work five hours straight. I only get breakers if it’s five and half hours which is one 30 minute break. I twice worked six hours as a sign holder with no breaks. Sign holder jobs will hire everybody including mentally ill, felonies, low iq, high iq, high school dropout, high school graduate, college graduate, university graduate, college dropout, university dropout, younger people, middle age people, older people, single moms, single dads etc I guess I’m trying to say is that sign holder jobs are an all inclusive environment but you can’t live on sign holder jobs unless it’s full time in Canada which there aren’t any full time sign holder jobs in Canada and I only make $18 an hour with no benefits in a province where the minimum wage is $15.50 an hour. Only America has full time sign holder jobs where you can make $15 to $20 an hour in California with breaks.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:04 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Yeah, as the other poster noted, you are not low IQ, since you can express yourself as well in writing as you do. It is likely more of a social anxiety issue or a matter of you being somewhere on the infamous "spectrum". You might just suck at taking IQ tests.

Don't be ashamed of your stint in special ed. Can't go back to it, can't change it, doesn't matter anymore. Look forward.

I am an American temporarily living in Ontario with an incapacitated and terminally ill significant other. Because I have gotten to know your health care system, I am aware that your country is in dire need of PSWs for home care. There are not enough for all the need.

It's a job that a lot of people don't want to do. You're taking care of the personal needs of old, sick, bedridden, and dying people. It's also a caring profession that helps make our weakest and most vulnerable neighbors a bit more comfortable and gives them exposure to kindness and human contact. You do not have to be outgoing and social or competitive. The work is one on one with a person who needs your help.

Just something to consider. Google PSW training. There are courses that you can start online, and some pay while you are training.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, as the other poster noted, you are not low IQ, since you can express yourself as well in writing as you do. It is likely more of a social anxiety issue or a matter of you being somewhere on the infamous "spectrum". You might just suck at taking IQ tests.

Don't be ashamed of your stint in special ed. Can't go back to it, can't change it, doesn't matter anymore. Look forward.

I am an American temporarily living in Ontario with an incapacitated and terminally ill significant other. Because I have gotten to know your health care system, I am aware that your country is in dire need of PSWs for home care. There are not enough for all the need.

It's a job that a lot of people don't want to do. You're taking care of the personal needs of old, sick, bedridden, and dying people. It's also a caring profession that helps make our weakest and most vulnerable neighbors a bit more comfortable and gives them exposure to kindness and human contact. You do not have to be outgoing and social or competitive. The work is one on one with a person who needs your help.

Just something to consider. Google PSW training. There are courses that you can start online, and some pay while you are training.
If I had access to a car I would do personal support worker but I can’t afford to buy a car. I never got tested for the infamous spectrum called autism. I have anxiety in general like my job performance and my finance like will I have enough money to survive when I’m older. Also if I want to get tested for autism as a 30 year old man then I have to pay thousands of dollars which I can’t afford to. I do find social situations stressful.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:33 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Are you being treated for anxiety and depression? If not, why not? Those conditions aren't debilitating for many people. I would imagine Canada has a pretty good safety net for people in your position. The US does; every state has an agency that provides all manner of services for people, who have trouble finding work due to disability. They arrange for any appointments needed to diagnose the client, then they work out a plan to help the find work, and arrange for support services as needed. All of this is provided free. You should look into what your city or province offers.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Introvert View Post
If I had access to a car I would do personal support worker but I can’t afford to buy a car. I never got tested for the infamous spectrum called autism. I have anxiety in general like my job performance and my finance like will I have enough money to survive when I’m older. Also if I want to get tested for autism as a 30 year old man then I have to pay thousands of dollars which I can’t afford to. I do find social situations stressful.
Don't shoot down ideas automatically. There is always a way. Practice thinking in a "what-if" way instead of immediately leaping to an "I can't" way.

Nobody wants you to get tested for autism.

Of course you have those anxieties about finances and surviving when you get older. You're hardly alone in those things. The way to combat the anxiety is to come up with a plan.

If you don't drive, then you must have gotten to your sign holder jobs in some way. Do you live where there is public transport?

And instead of "I can't afford to buy a car", think about how much you would need to buy a running used car. Write it down. Think about getting a car. Let your brain work in the background as to how you might be able to get one. Something may come up.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you being treated for anxiety and depression? If not, why not? Those conditions aren't debilitating for most people. I would imagine Canada has a pretty good safety net for people in your position. The US does; every state has an agency that provides all manner of services for people, who have trouble finding work due to disability. They arrange for any appointments needed to diagnose the client, then they work out a plan to help the find work, and arrange for support services as needed. All of this is provided free. You should look into what your city or province offers.
Ontario definitely does have such mental health support services.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-get-help.html

Old 02-12-2023, 07:02 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't shoot down ideas automatically. There is always a way. Practice thinking in a "what-if" way instead of immediately leaping to an "I can't" way.

Nobody wants you to get tested for autism.
I don't know--I think it would benefit the OP to talk to their primary doctor about getting tested for an actual diagnosis, whether that is autism, anxiety, ADHD, etc. Then they can actually get treatment and access provincial resources and accommodations. OP is putting a lot of weight on a school-age IQ test, which many professionals don't think is a valid measure of ability and intelligence.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you being treated for anxiety and depression? If not, why not? Those conditions aren't debilitating for many people. I would imagine Canada has a pretty good safety net for people in your position. The US does; every state has an agency that provides all manner of services for people, who have trouble finding work due to disability. They arrange for any appointments needed to diagnose the client, then they work out a plan to help the find work, and arrange for support services as needed. All of this is provided free. You should look into what your city or province offers.
Thanks. I was in six weeks free therapy for my anxiety and depression and learned skills liked mindfulness, wellness, problem solving, TIPP, Check the facts Opposite Action and distraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health