Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:00 PM

351 posts, read 270,847 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever tried online/virtual therapy? If so did you have a good experience and which site do you recommend? Please feel free to explain the positive impact it had on you. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 11:14 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
None of them. All of these online/virtual sessions are digitally archived and are therefore open to future viewing or monitoring by whomever has access to the computer servers. The odds for misuse of this strike me as very high.

Seek counseling face to face in real life with someone you know and trust, or a referral to a qualified stranger if you're unable to talk to anyone close to you.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:41 PM

351 posts, read 270,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
None of them. All of these online/virtual sessions are digitally archived and are therefore open to future viewing or monitoring by whomever has access to the computer servers. The odds for misuse of this strike me as very high.

Seek counseling face to face in real life with someone you know and trust, or a referral to a qualified stranger if you're unable to talk to anyone close to you.
I never realized this before and always assumed online would be more anonymous which is what I was hoping for. Thank you for mentioning this and making me aware. I truly appreciate your input and now I am truly against online/virtual therapy. I feel like the world we live in is so crazy and nothing/nobody can be trusted.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:14 PM

The constant data breaches of things like credit card numbers and passwords is bad enough...can you imagine the damage that could be caused if your "virtual therapist" had their server hacked and all client's private information and videos of the online sessions ended up in the wrong hands? Huge potential for blackmail, invasion of privacy, and more government interference.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:05 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
I never realized this before and always assumed online would be more anonymous ...
If it were on an anonymous forum, it would be anonymous.

You choose a handle like 'possibleyou' and I use a handle like 'submariner', neither one of us is using our real names.

If you logon to a paid website with professionals, those professionals expect to be paid, so your logon will require your real name and CC payments. The risk of identity fraud lingers.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:36 AM

For the time being, City Data is my "online therapy". I was strictly a lurker for several years, mainly reading threads in the Psychology forum written by people struggling with the same conditions or life problems that I have, and seeing what others suggest as ways to heal or cope.

If the internet as we know it ever converts to a non-anonymous system like they have in China, where your legal ID is required to use it, I'm out.

Old 11-23-2023, 10:22 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried online/virtual therapy? If so did you have a good experience and which site do you recommend? Please feel free to explain the positive impact it had on you. Thank you
Only recently, but it wasn't a random site that does therapy. I lost the man I love and with whom I was planning to spend the rest of my earlier this year and was having difficulty moving forward with the grief and trying to figure out where to go/what to do next.

Daughter encouraged me to seek grief counseling. I hear every year on 9/11 from the therapist I was seeing a couple of decades ago when my marriage ended, so this year I asked if he was still practicing. He already knew my history and me, no wasting time rehashing things already covered with a new person.

He is in his 70s now and only does therapy via Zoom. It worked for me, and next week will be my last session. I worked out what I needed to get through.

So maybe, instead of one of the random therapy sites that have sprung up since COVID, ask a friend or relative who has a therapist that served them well for a name and see if they do online/Zoom sessions. It might feel safer that way.

Old 11-23-2023, 10:24 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
For the time being, City Data is my "online therapy". I was strictly a lurker for several years, mainly reading threads in the Psychology forum written by people struggling with the same conditions or life problems that I have, and seeing what others suggest as ways to heal or cope.

If the internet as we know it ever converts to a non-anonymous system like they have in China, where your legal ID is required to use it, I'm out.
To that point, in addition to the therapy, I found the posters on City-Data's Grief and Mourning forum to be very helpful, as well, if only to connect with people who understand.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:42 AM

239 posts, read 106,467 times
Quote:
Just don't use any freebies which are included with your job. They are biased and will not tell you it's best to quit your job or move over to a different one, for example. That would be problematic if it's your job causing your mental health issues.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Just don't use any freebies which are included with your job. They are biased and will not tell you it's best to quit your job or move over to a different one, for example. That would be problematic if it's your job causing your mental health issues.
Good advice. I wasn't aware that some jobs included "free" therapy sessions. I can totally see that backfiring somehow, one example being that unfortunately 'mental illness' is still stigmatized and if one were to use the therapy too often that might be a good enough reason to be let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health