Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2024, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 4,716 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I went to see an improv show for Valentines and it was so bad that it was good. We both love comedy, and cringe humor like in The Office or Nathan Fielder, but this felt like drugs, because I literally just discovered an unexplored part my brain with these new feelings (or concept?)

I couldn't stop laughing so hard the whole time, just never at the joke but at all the failing. The performers were nervous, barely came up with stuff that made sense, suddenly mumbling, inventing new words, suddenly having accents even though they're white, and sometimes desperately explaining jokes that turn out to be lame even if we got it. They inadvertently showed us all of their ticks, baggage and traumas. It was so rich and intimate! The host had a horn that he used to cut/switch performers when the joke was falling flat, but always used it a few seconds too late, always after an uncomfortable amount of squirming. I was involuntarily clutching my chest in excitement like it was a rollercoaster, feeling what I later learned was second-hand embarrassment.

I called it "inverse humor" at the time. I was sure I wasn't the only one laughing at all the wrong times and thought it was an intended comedy reserved for those who have unlocked that portion of their brain. I told my boyfriend "i had no idea improv was ALL about this, this is amazing!" He assured me no, the comedic value of improv is usually mostly in the "normal" realm, not just in the upside-down.

He was a bit uncomfortable with my laughing, and we're wondering if it's because the laughter is perhaps coming from a dark place since I'm laughing at their humiliation, at their expense. I figure comedians would welcome laughter at any time, even just for vibes? Was it rude? Thoughts?

Last edited by justin1222; 02-15-2024 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 05:51 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,245,013 times
I don't think there is a wrong time to laugh in a comedy club.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
IME, "bad" and "comedy" are subjective terms.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:18 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
I've attended comedy shows where it didn't go well for the comic, or they just weren't funny (to me). I still applaud to show my appreciation even if I can't laugh. It takes a HUGE amount of courage to get up on stage and deliver your own material. I would never walk out on a performance like that, they can see you and it might crush their confidence if enough people do it.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:18 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
This explains the OP's other thread.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
nothing wrong with it. What some people find funny others don't. My husband and I laugh at ridiculous stuff that other people might find wrong with. But I am one of those who does not care what others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health