Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2024, 11:29 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried this, or know of someone who was helped by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 03:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Just speculating here OP so take it for what it's worth. I am clearly not a professional but I certainly have been a patient.

Considering that managing clinical depression involves more than medication, how effective any antidepressant might be probably can't be completely predictable using genetic testing. There's more to it than chemical neurotransmitter manipulation. There's a cognitive aspect to relief too. A huge and constantly shifting variable. As the patient learns better ways to manage via counseling and behavior modification, that changes the brain. Just as the chemicals they might be using do.

In my own immediate family for example. Everyone but my mother has dealt with clinical depression for a significant portion of their lives. The same antidepressant that worked for one person didn't for another. One hasn't gotten any benefit from any of them and believe me they've probably tried all the options approved for use in the USA. I would bet testing would reveal that each of us are pretty similar genetically. Unless the genetic testing used is very, very fine scale (down to exactly how much influence one combination of a parent or ancestor's DNA influences the rest), it might not be sensitive enough to suggest which meds might have worked better. That certainly could change in future, but I doubt the technology exists right now.

Then there's the reality that it is still unclear exactly how some chemicals contained in antidepressants influence the brain. Sure, they have been shown to be effective for many people but not exactly why. How much of the benefit is hope, suggestion, or assumption on the part of the patient and how much is chemical? Then there are combinations of meds that seem to compound each other and end up working better together than any of them alone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-01-2024 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-01-2024, 03:35 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
the gut microbiome plays a role. so genetic testing would miss that. coincidentally, gut dysbiosis and/or leaky gut are the most common causes of depression/anxiety/panic.

fixing gut health could reverse the condition....forever.....and without the toxicity of pharma

Old 03-01-2024, 05:11 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just speculating here OP so take it for what it's worth. I am clearly not a professional but I certainly have been a patient.

Considering that managing clinical depression involves more than medication, how effective any antidepressant might be probably can't be completely predictable using genetic testing. There's more to it than chemical neurotransmitter manipulation. There's a cognitive aspect to relief too. A huge and constantly shifting variable. As the patient learns better ways to manage via counseling and behavior modification, that changes the brain. Just as the chemicals they might be using do.

In my own immediate family for example. Everyone but my mother has dealt with clinical depression for a significant portion of their lives. The same antidepressant that worked for one person didn't for another. One hasn't gotten any benefit from any of them and believe me they've probably tried all the options approved for use in the USA. I would bet testing would reveal that each of us are pretty similar genetically. Unless the genetic testing used is very, very fine scale (down to exactly how much influence one combination of a parent or ancestor's DNA influences the rest), it might not be sensitive enough to suggest which meds might have worked better. That certainly could change in future, but I doubt the technology exists right now.

Then there's the reality that it is still unclear exactly how some chemicals contained in antidepressants influence the brain. Sure, they have been shown to be effective for many people but not exactly why. How much of the benefit is hope, suggestion, or assumption on the part of the patient and how much is chemical? Then there are combinations of meds that seem to compound each other and end up working better together than any of them alone.
Pharmacogenetic testing is not interested in your relatives. It looks for genes that can identify how an individual metabolizes different drugs. If you metabolize the medication more rapidly than the average person, it may not work because the drug is eliminated before an effective blood level is reached. If you are a slow metabolizer, higher than needed blood levels can accumulate, increasing the risk of side effects. In the first cse, a higher dose may work. In the second, the dose needs to adjust downward.

Testing can be expensive but helpful for people having a hard time finding the right med and dose.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...ntidepressants.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:24 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Pharmacogenetic testing is not interested in your relatives. It looks for genes that can identify how an individual metabolizes different drugs. If you metabolize the medication more rapidly than the average person, it may not work because the drug is eliminated before an effective blood level is reached. If you are a slow metabolizer, higher than needed blood levels can accumulate, increasing the risk of side effects. In the first cse, a higher dose may work. In the second, the dose needs to adjust downward.

Testing can be expensive but helpful for people having a hard time finding the right med and dose.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...ntidepressants.
Makes sense, thanks!

Old 03-01-2024, 06:54 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
note my bold below -- pathogenesis, aka cause. reverse the cause and the problems fade away. seen it more than once

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10843545/

The correlation between gut microbiota and both neurotransmitters and mental disorders: A narrative review

Gut microbiota has multiple effects on many body organs, including the brain. There is a bidirectional connection between the gut and brain called the gut-brain-axis, and these connections are formed through immunological, neuronal, and neuroendocrine pathways.

In addition, gut microbiota modulates the synthesis and functioning of neurotransmitters. Therefore, the disruption of the gut microbiota in the composition or function, which is known as dysbiosis, is associated with the pathogenesis of many mental disorders, such as schizophrenia, depression, and other psychiatric disorders.

more at link....and a TON of related scientific papers/trials available at the pubmed website

google this: depression microbiome pubmed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health