Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,670,389 times

Advertisements

I do not have any children. To those of you who do, what do you think about these "conditions"? I believe that, though they may exist, oftentimes it is a label stuck on kids so they may be medicated, and be more easily controlled. This is especially true when the kids are boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,383 times
Children are not easily medicated or diagnosed with ADHD. They go through several tests (cognitive and physical lab work) and must see a psychiatrist as well as their pediatrician before and during treatment. It's very easy for someone who only occasionally sees a misbehaving child to think they just need more discipline. Maybe there are some children who are misdiagnosed, and maybe not all doctors follow all the rules in prescribing, but the parents I've known who have an ADHD child did everything within their power before placing the child on medications.

And there are adults who are ADHD as well. Once they are treated with the proper medication, they find they can focus, are more organized and actually accomplish much more.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
I think dosage can be tricky, though.
I've seen some kids who seemed downright robotic.
However, I do agree that with proper treatment children can increase their learning potential and accomplish much more.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I do not have any children. To those of you who do, what do you think about these "conditions"? I believe that, though they may exist, oftentimes it is a label stuck on kids so they may be medicated, and be more easily controlled. This is especially true when the kids are boys.
I think sometimes it is over diagnosed, especially with parents who have just downright...bad (lack of a better word) children and want to blame it on something. Being a teacher, I have seen children with actual ADD/ADHD and how they behave without meds, and then children who are just little terrors because they haven't been taught better-but they are not ADD/ADHD. There is a difference.

I have two sons. My youngest (6 years old) is going through the process right now of finding out if he has ADHD. Ever since he was 11 months old even his peditrician said that I had my hands full. The behaviors he exhibits are actually not at home-they are in enviroments that are very active with a lot of stimilu, and in those environments, he just is a different child. Even teachers who have seen him going to town at school, and then seen him in a home environment (he goes to my school and my friends are the teachers) say that he is so different. At all environments (home, school, basketball) he is fidigty with his hands (has to be twirling a pencil, a fork...something to keep him busy and not bored), and watching a movie he has to constantly switch his positions. But in school...he is constantly out of his seat, can't concentrate with the noise, always has to be hands-on (not hitting other kids, just goofing touching), doesn't finish his work, jumping around, making noises, calling out...and forget it if it's PE (physical education) or music time when they have to be up and about and active. At basketball while standing in line waiting his turn he has to do karate moves, or spin or be playing with another kid in line, or crouching...he always wants to be the one to speak out, run screaming....

He has been seeing a counselor for a couple of months and he hasn't been diagnosed with ADHD because he is not like this at home. We will shortly be seeing why he has to go overboard in active environments. I don't want to medicate. At all. I don't want a zombie, not when I have a child right now who is so intelligient and witty and the kind of kid that is memorable and not for bad behavior. But, I have tried everything. I am very structured and organized. We have done every consequence and reward under the sun and have even involved family members into the rewards. But when he does something at school wrong, he sometimes can't even tell me why he did it because it just happened. Even the officials at school-counselor, vice-principal and his home counselor have said to stop punishing him for school behavior. If it's behavior that he can't help...the school will enforce punishment, they will give him consquences for school behavior. But if he is punished at home too for school behavior, and then of course for whatever he does wrong at home (like every child), his self-confidence may take a blow, he may feel he is always in trouble, and it could ruin him. And I have already seen that by pictures he has drawn on his own.

My son is very bright. Right now in first grade he is reading almost at a third grade level, and I see by the end of first grade he will be. He was tested for gifted but did not pass, and they are wondering if he was just distracted, and couldn't really focus 100% and just didn't want to be there.

I don't want to not try medicine when it is what he needs. Since everything else has been tried, I will do it. Only for school though. And then see what happens. I will not let him be a zombie. but I want to see if it opens doors for him, let's him slow down and concentrate better...and perhaps excel even more. Maybe his behavior is holding him back.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Some kids simply take longer to learn impulse control.
Developing self-discipline is oh so important, but sometimes it is oh so difficult.
I think perhaps the difference between home and school is overwhelming for some kids, ADD or not. So many more rules and distractions.
There is also sensory integration disorder, I have known some kids who were coping with it. But these kids displayed symptoms at home as well as school.
Good luck and best wishes for you and your son, mrshvo.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Anybody read....?

"The War on Boys" by Christina Hoff Sommers

or

"One Nation Under Therapy" by Christina Hoff Sommers and Sally Satel

I haven't read either, but they sound interesting from the reviews.

Ms. Sommers wrote another book called "Who Stole Feminism?" which made her less than beloved of those people I call "Women's Studies Types.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Drugs

Chemicals like Ritalin and Adderall are extremely powerful stimulant drugs that have profound and possibly persistant effects on the human nervous system.

If I were a parent, I would think a thousand times before allowing any such substances to be administered to my kids. They may be a godsend to those who really suffer from some neurological disease, but their administration to children who are merely unruly is, in my opinion, egregious medical malpractice.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 AM

607 posts, read 3,558,985 times
ANYONE who has a child with ADD, ADHD, Autism should research the possible links these diseases have to mercury exposure. Mercury is considered the second most dangerous element known to man, the most dangerous being plutonium. The immunizations given to infants are composed of over 50% mercury as a preservative. Occasionally this poison does not flush out fast enough and makes it's way into the brain. Mercury is one of the few elements that break the blood/brain barrier.
I have done extensive research on the subject of heavy metals toxicity and the symptoms in adults from mercury poisoning very much mirror the symptoms of ADD and autism.

There are many ways to get mercury out of the brain without taking medicines. Selenium, found in black beans and other legumes will bind to mercury and chelate (guide) it out of the body. Cilantro is one of the few supplements that will "loosen" Mercury deposits in the brain so it can be expelled with the help of selenium. Simple garlic is a great source of sulfur which is another good chelator (though not as efficient as selenium).

This diet has to be intense and deliberate and continued for years along with a otherwise healthy organic diet. (pesticides used to grow fruits and vegetables contain many heavy metals and put an increased strain on the organs).

These ideas and facts are not written to impress anyone, I'm writing this to help people that feel as if there is no hope. Doctors are not taught this nor do they want to believe it. If more people followed this plan many doctors would have to get second jobs and drive older cars.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,670 times
My neice was diagnosed with ADD..........when she was 5!! I personally think it's a crock. What 5 year old isn't hyper at the best of times anyway?? They have her on these meds that makes her a zombie.

Her teacher at school was the one that started the whole thing. You know, if you don't want to deal with hyper 5 year olds..........don't teach kindergarten!! I keep telling my brother to get another assessment because it's bull. Teachers should not be the deciding factor in a kid getting medicated just because they want silence.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 AM

607 posts, read 3,558,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
My neice was diagnosed with ADD..........when she was 5!! I personally think it's a crock. What 5 year old isn't hyper at the best of times anyway?? They have her on these meds that makes her a zombie.

Her teacher at school was the one that started the whole thing. You know, if you don't want to deal with hyper 5 year olds..........don't teach kindergarten!! I keep telling my brother to get another assessment because it's bull. Teachers should not be the deciding factor in a kid getting medicated just because they want silence.
TEACHERS................ don't get me started... I agree with you. Many "energetic "kids are falsely misdiagnosed and medicated leaving an empty shell of a otherwise VERY productive person.

Many kids that teachers refer to as A D D are simply eating too much sugar for breakfast either in their cereal or Pop Tarts. Or Believe it or not some parents give their kids caffeinated soda with their kids breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health