Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times

Advertisements

The name of the medication is Chantix. Most insurance doesn't cover it, because it is expensive. Well worth the cost!!! You can go on line to the Chantix site. They even have an online support plan that is a great help with the first week as you prepare to quit. Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
.....Coronary Artery Disease runs in my family on both sides. I guess my age is making me really think hard about it now.
I'll ask about that vaccine. Thanx!
Good for you. Whatever it takes.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 PM

117 posts, read 431,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
Hi there!

I've been smoking since I was 15, i'm 41 now. I really haven't tried to quit in the past, never really wanted to. I guess getting older, plus I had angioplasty done when I was 35, and a friend of mine being on me and my husband constantly are the big reasons why I want to quit. I bought some of that nicorette gum stuff? BLAH! That's just too nasty for my liking!

Something to complicate the mood thing......i'm in the early phase of menopause! My husband thinks that, along with me quitting smoking could jeopardize his well being!!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, maybe things that helped them along the way? I'm not really wanting to use any medications if I can help it. I take enough as it is.

Thanx!
Quitting smoking, for me, was a gradual behavioral modification thing. For instance, when I smoked, I made it inconvenient. I put my lighter in the glove box of my car and I put the pack in the house, I would only smoke outside.

There was a quiz I took about the reasons why I smoked too, that quiz was helpful to me. For instance I smoked because I was bored and anxious.

I did not quit cold turkey either. It took me about two years to quit and now and then I have one when I am really really stressed.

I found the patch stunk. Regular gum helps, except I chew like a cow when I really want a cigaret, smacking my gum and blowing bubbles. I suppose gum is a stress buster now.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,935 times
A little milestone, but for me it's huge!!

4 days so far and neither the lack of nicotine or the menopause has caused me to harm anyone!!

Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,544,745 times
Well, that is good news! Just tell your husband he'll just have to tread lightly for the next-ummmm...have to get back to you on that one! Only been about 3 1/2 months.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times
GO GIRL!!!!One day at a time is all you need to focus on. Hubby will live through this one way or another. Did you go cold turkey? I have been free for a month now. Gets easier every day..Keep us all up on your progress..

Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Day 5!

Yeah, I stopped cold turkey.
I've had so much water, I feel like that girl on Willy Wonka that blue up into the giant blueberry! Minus the blue skin!!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM

17 posts, read 67,314 times
The best thing I used to quit smoking was a purple pill called Zyban. Like you, I had no desire to actually quit smoking. I had tried quitting several times in the past and the first time I did try, that was the most horrifiying 15 minutes of my life. I would get more nervous when I was down to half a pack and not being able to get another pack before running out than I would if I was running on empty in my truck out in the middle of no where. I had the habit bad. I was at 4 packs a day when I finally stopped. I asked my doctor for help and he recommended Zyban. What I really liked about it, unlike other times I have tried to quit with the gum or patches, the directions said for me to pick a day for when I wanted to quit. There was no need to cut back on how much I was smoking as long as I took the prescribed amount of pills daily. I figured what did I have to lose. It didn't take but about a week before my wife first noticed I had not gotten up to go out in the garage to smoke. She didn't say anything until I had not lit up a cigareet for almost 4 days and that's when I noticed myself that I haven't smoked anything in a while. I work with wood so I usually stay pretty busy. However, even staying busy I usually lit up a smoke without even thinking about it. It was about the second week that I realized that I have not even had the urge to smoke and at the time I worked in a local bar on the weekends and you know what they are like. Smelling others smoke didn't even make me want to lite up. That has been 10 years ago now and not once in this time have I wanted to smoke since. I highly recommend trying the Zyban but be sure and check with your doctor as to which one is right for you. One is a bit stronger than the purple pill I was taking. Forget the gum and those patches. I found myself really loving those patches, the feeling I was getting from them. I got to where I'd have 4 or 5 under each arm pit just for the effect. Ha! Ha! Good luck though. I know if I could do it, and I smoked for over 40 years and 4 packs a day by the time I did quit, I know you can too.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Thanx, windsor!
Day 9!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health