Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times

Advertisements

Mexico should build a canal across Baja California. I don't mean a little canal like the Panama Canal either but a really wide one. This would give North America a huge island off its coast which we really should have. Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa all get big coastal islands why can't we?

Also in Mexico what is the body of water between Baja California and the rest of Mexico called? Similarly I've seen Baja California referred to as one state in some sources and maps and referred to as two states (Baja California del Norte and Baja California del Sur) on others. Which is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Really?

Make a canal like that is not a joke, is so expensive that will be not posible for a country like mexico. Even if possible is plain stupid idea, dont you think?

Now the peninsula is divided in 2 states: Baja California and Baja California Sur.

Mexicali is the capitol of Baja California and La Paz is the capitol of Baja California Sur.

The water body as you called is named Mar de Cortez (Sea of Cortez).

Now, I dont know why people dont mind in search on Google or Wikipedia easy data as this.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Mexico should build a canal across Baja California.
Hey, how about a canal that crosses the U.S. from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans? Seriously now, what purpose would your proposed canal serve??? I'm not opposed, just curious. And by the way, we have quite a few islands along the southern California coast!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
I think we should just extend the Sea of Cortez up to Oregon along the California state line and then over to the Pacific, then California could be that island.

But we'll need to put all that dirt somewhere so how about we truck it to East Texas and make a mountain with a world class ski resort?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
I think we should just extend the Sea of Cortez up to Oregon along the California state line and then over to the Pacific, then California could be that island.

But we'll need to put all that dirt somewhere so how about we truck it to East Texas and make a mountain with a world class ski resort?
Hey Todd, I'll get you a pair of free TX-sized ski passes if you'll cut that California canal right through my back yard.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Really?

Make a canal like that is not a joke, is so expensive that will be not posible for a country like mexico. Even if possible is plain stupid idea, dont you think?
No, it would be awesome. Like a giant practical joke on the world. Plus it would probably make for some great ports on the inland side of it you'd be well sheltered from the Pacific. On the other hand it is expensive and would very likely ruin the ecosystem in the Sea of Cortez, but when you do something this over the top you can't let cost stop you.

Quote:
Now the peninsula is divided in 2 states: Baja California and Baja California Sur.

Mexicali is the capitol of Baja California and La Paz is the capitol of Baja California Sur.

The water body as you called is named Mar de Cortez (Sea of Cortez).

Now, I dont know why people dont mind in search on Google or Wikipedia easy data as this.
I started with the post about the canal, and then I figured why not ask the other two since they'd been bothering me for a while. In English language materials I'd seen the body of water called the Sea of Cortez and the Gulf of California so I wanted to see what people in Mexico called it. Thanks for answering the questions.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Hey, how about a canal that crosses the U.S. from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans? Seriously now, what purpose would your proposed canal serve??? I'm not opposed, just curious. And by the way, we have quite a few islands along the southern California coast!
First we have to get this one and a Florida Canal. Yeah, there are some small islands off California, and Vancouver and some of the islands on the Atlantic side of Canada are no slouches while Cuba holds it down in the Gulf. However, they don't seem that great compared to the British Isles, the Japanese Home Islands, Madagascar, Bornia, and New Guinea. Baja California would be like the ultimate tourist destination though. Warm, dry weather, beaches, whale watching, man eating squid, what more could you want?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
First we have to get this one and a Florida Canal. Yeah, there are some small islands off California, and Vancouver and some of the islands on the Atlantic side of Canada are no slouches while Cuba holds it down in the Gulf. However, they don't seem that great compared to the British Isles, the Japanese Home Islands, Madagascar, Bornia, and New Guinea. Baja California would be like the ultimate tourist destination though. Warm, dry weather, beaches, whale watching, man eating squid, what more could you want?
I can't begin to imagine what your point is in this thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
When USA do this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/antgar/bugs-florida.gif (broken link)

Then we talk about Baja

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
When USA do this:

Then we talk about Baja
Don'tcha just love the internet!?! Thanks for adding this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico