Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times

Advertisements

Interesting stat from an article about Central American drug violence:

That is exactly what frightens the people and leaders of small countries like Costa Rica and Honduras. While Mexico continues to struggle with heinous violence, its murder rate is still relatively low, at 12 per 100,000 people. In Honduras, the already high murder rate has climbed rapidly and is much higher than Mexico’s — at 66.8 per 100,000 people, it is the worst in Central America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/wo...s/24drugs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
And in Mexico, drug violence really wouldn't scare me off because I'm not competing with drug lords nor do I owe any money to one. They wouldn't be after me. What does scare me off a whole lot more is the other crime, the carjackings, the kidnapping for ransom - even though they aren't kidnapping Americans, it seems like they could decide it's a good thing to do.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And in Mexico, drug violence really wouldn't scare me off because I'm not competing with drug lords nor do I owe any money to one. They wouldn't be after me. What does scare me off a whole lot more is the other crime, the carjackings, the kidnapping for ransom - even though they aren't kidnapping Americans, it seems like they could decide it's a good thing to do.
Go to Phoenix and you could get kidnapped. Carjackings throughout the U.S. are not as common now since it became a federal offense. Like anywhere, stay away from the criminals and they will likely stay away from you.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post

That is exactly what frightens the people and leaders of small countries like Costa Rica and Honduras. While Mexico continues to struggle with heinous violence, its murder rate is still relatively low, at 12 per 100,000 people. In Honduras, the already high murder rate has climbed rapidly and is much higher than Mexico’s — at 66.8 per 100,000 people, it is the worst in Central America.

Don't forget that statistics are very underestimated in Mexico since the police departments are on the take. There was a website I found earlier, that something like 30-70% of statistics are under reported in Mexico, depending on the region. If we go by just published numbers, then Veracruz and Baja California Sur are the best states

Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM

469 posts, read 1,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Go to Phoenix and you could get kidnapped.
Irrelevant – unless rate of incidence is comparable.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM

950 posts, read 1,516,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post

Damn, Honduras per capita murder rate makes Detroit and Rio De Janeiro look very safe in comparison.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Don't forget that statistics are very underestimated in Mexico since the police departments are on the take. There was a website I found earlier, that something like 30-70% of statistics are under reported in Mexico, depending on the region. If we go by just published numbers, then Veracruz and Baja California Sur are the best states
Murder rate is one that would be hard to fudge though. I doubt someone will say the bullets in their family member's body came from their own gun as they were cleaning it. In any case I am sure the crime stats are no different in Honduras or Guatemala, no one trusts the police there either.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Being the cheapskate traveler I am, don't want to run into any of my own people (Americans) while traveling, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Tijuana have served me very well over the years, so easy on the pocketbook.

I just love it! Traveling with no reservations! Pull into a town, the town is yours, pick and choose your motel, sometimes, a luxury of all luxuries, you'll find you're the only tourist staying in that cheap motel that night and the only tourist in town. All yours! Makes me feel like a King!

Never have I ever felt in danger down there!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
... don't want to run into any of my own people (Americans) while traveling...
You sound like me. I love non-tourist motels, second-class buses, and meeting shop owners, residents, and even 'colorful' locals around town. These are places where you learn the heart of the land.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That is where you are wrong. They are doing those things to Americans. They just never get a chance to do it at the right moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico