Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 12:09 PM

152 posts, read 568,767 times
Im an online poker player from the usa. I had relocated to canada in montreal a while back and staying there. However, there is a processor called skrill that i use to move funds around and last year or so... they basically dont allow canadians to use skrill anymore for gambling transactions. I need to be able to use this to move funds around.

I know there are many online poker players that moved to mexico. I know the top 2 destinations are rosarito beach and playa del carmen.

Does anyone know if its possible to rent a studio on short term in either playa or rosarito beach? By short term i mean 3 months or less? I go on the poker forums and many of the poker players there sign 6 month or 1 year lease and most of them rent a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom place and then they split the cost between 2 or 3 players. The thing is i dont know anyone and would prefer to be by myself so i would want a studio. I pay around 1k for a studio furnished in montreal. I heard mexico is much cheaper. But can you get sometime like that short term and furnished? Also i read that the june, july, august months cost a lot lot more. Is that true?

I also read playa del carmen cost more than rosarito beach and there are lot of things to do in playa as oppose to rosarito. I would be mainly playing online poker and doing other stuff on the computer so i won't need much entertainment outside. However, it surely would be strange going outside and then its not like regular streets like im accustomed to in the usa where im from and in montreal.

Also from what i hear of other poker players, rosarito beach and playa del carmen is very safe. Is that true? Obviously i would not be going out late in the night in mexico but it seems like as long as you live in the condos in the main areas... that should be fine? I also hear rosarito beach is very boring such as there is nothing really to do. However, its close to san diego so 1 hour cab ride there and then you in SD and then could fly to vegas in 1 hour etc.

Does anyone know if its possible to rent short term like 3 month or even less in rosarito? And how much are the costs? My primary importance is internet... i read that internet not very reliable there so you need like those backup internet sticks etc and its tough to buy regular food like chicken breast, rice, salmon etc while there. Is that true? I hear lot of ppl mention they eat fish tacos etc but i wouldn't want to eat those things on daily basis.

The only reason why i want to relocate to mexico is b/c basically the ewallet that i use in canada... skrill no longer processes transactions anymore for gambling and thus without it, its tough for me to move funds and thus skrill is allowed in mexico. So had they didn't do this, i would still be staying in canada.

It certainly feels strange going to a country like mexico but i read so many ppl who went there and many seem to like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM

152 posts, read 568,767 times
Anyone?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM

836 posts, read 2,958,331 times
Is possible to find one furnished studio to rent 3 months either Rosarito or Playa del Carmen? Yes. But maybe in that short time will be more expensive and hard to find. Maybe it will be better to stay in one cheap hotel?

I guess for you will be more easy to find an apartment in Playas de Tijuana.

Now about the cities:

Rosarito is small community in Baja California, more focused to retired expats from USA.
Playa del Carmen is a hot tourist spot south of Cancun and attracts thousands of tourist from all the world daily.

which one you think will be more expensive? and fun?

My recommendation is that you spend a few days in Playas de Tijuana and see if you like it or not, you ask for rent prices and the same in Rosarito and Playa del Carmen, there is really no other way...

Last edited by mexguy; 07-14-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

6,394 posts, read 11,956,958 times
Why ask here? There are plenty of posts in online poker forums about it, I have read quite a few and they are plenty enlightening in their own ways and focused on what you want to focus on with lots of suggestions about short term living and general budgets needed. They also talk about is Tijuana/Rosarito really the best place to be in terms of are you moving there to still spend a lot of time playing live in the US or if you are staying online nearly 100% of the time you probably are better served elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:29 PM

519 posts, read 780,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why ask here? There are plenty of posts in online poker forums about it, I have read quite a few and they are plenty enlightening in their own ways and focused on what you want to focus on with lots of suggestions about short term living and general budgets needed. They also talk about is Tijuana/Rosarito really the best place to be in terms of are you moving there to still spend a lot of time playing live in the US or if you are staying online nearly 100% of the time you probably are better served elsewhere.
Seriously? This website is specifically for questions like the OP's.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,814,121 times
Very old thread guys (March 2014). OP is long gone.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:05 AM

15,144 posts, read 32,489,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Very old thread guys (March 2014). OP is long gone.
People don't pay attention. Same problem on the San Diego Forum. Someone bumped up a thread from 2013, and it started getting answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico