Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 01:28 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times

Advertisements

My wife is filipino with quite a bit of Spanish blood in her. When we visited Mexico a few years ago, she got a lot more attention than I did but that's par for the course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not really.
Wow kind of rude lol.

They will probably assume you are from China as my husband, who is from Mexico, when we go to a Asian food place there always says "Cheena?" to the workers, And I am like "Can you not say that"!

Old 04-22-2020, 04:37 PM

169 posts, read 170,578 times
Of course. Especially in the big cities where the populations are more diverse. People of Asian background have been migrating to independent Mexico since the 1800's, and Mexico was event he administrative centre for the Philippines during the colonial era. Lots of Korean and Chinese migrants in the last decades. And among the younger population, growing up in a more diverse society it is more than accepted. Just be alert that people in Mexico are always poking fun and the PC culture is a bit less strong that what it is in the USA but still there. So all people of Asian background in Mexico are "Chinos". Just an FYI.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I've seen Mexicans that can pass for Southeast Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino), some that can pass for Indian-Hindu, I've seen Mexicans that can pass for Middle Eastern and then of course others that can pass for full European.
Very true. I live in So Cal with lots of people of Asian and Mexican decent. Some can't tell the difference even between eachother.
At work, a customer wanted to speak to someone that helped them the day before. The customer was of Mexican decent. When I asked him who helped him the first time he said he didn't know except it was a little Chinese guy.
It turned out the "little Chinese" guy was Juan, fully Mexican decent. So here's a case of one Mexican calling another Chinese by how he looks.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 22,393 times
My son is half Asian and he went to the equivalent of middle school and high school here in Mexico. He had zero problems. He also made many lifelong friends.

You might get called “chino” by a stranger but don’t get offended. Nicknames are commonly used here. I get called guerro, or “blondy” often. It’s just part of the culture.

The first time my son got called chino, he was ready to throw the gloves down and fight and the other kid told him to just chill out. They wound up best friends.

The golden rule applies here. Treat others like how you want to be treated and you’ll be fine.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Surely some of them, maybe 20% or so look a bit Asian? My brother is dating a Mexican girl in France and in his own words she looks like "Jennie from Korean group Blackpink" lol I don't see it at all, but he has the understanding of Korean culture as much as I have about Irish language (none).

Old 06-25-2020, 07:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinginbaja View Post
You might get called “chino” by a stranger but don’t get offended. Nicknames are commonly used here. I get called guerro, or “blondy” often. It’s just part of the culture.
Yeah man the first time I heard someone in Colombia refer to a black woman as "la negrita" I was horrified. Then I heard it dozens more times, negra, negro, negrito, negrita, etc. and nobody gave a ****.

What makes it interesting with "chino" is that's what they call kids. Los chinos, etc. So would it be weird for a Chinese family that grew up in a Spanish speaking country to call their own kids chinos?

Old 06-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yeah man the first time I heard someone in Colombia refer to a black woman as "la negrita" I was horrified.

You'd be also horrified when you discover how a Black Hole is called in Latin...how dare those peoples from the Roman Empire be so racist, even more so than Spanish speakers!

Old 06-27-2020, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 22,393 times
When I first moved here, I was shocked but then realized I was conditioned in a politically correct (PC) environment.

PC is out the window here. I’m continued to be shocked by the racist stereotypes here all over everywhere. For example a kids song “negrito sandia” being sung in schools. That would be lawsuits and riots in the US.

Japanese restaurants with a stereotype logo of exaggerated eyes, round glasses, and buck teeth. I finally just ignored it but it still bothers me to see these all over in 2020.

The locals view foreigners as uptight. It’s still interesting to see how the Mexicans think of foreigners and their stereotypes. I’m able to laugh at some of them like an old movie portraying “la migra” making a bust on a worksite and every other word was “freeze mother...” then indiscriminate shooting to death everyone just for being illegal workers.

If you really want to see the absence of PC, just read the classified job ads and be prepared for a shock

Old 06-27-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinginbaja View Post

Swedish-American...sounds like you know something about moral and how to deal with Covid, so I'd listen to you about how Spaniards should change their 1000 years old language to fit in American political bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico