Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Many non-hispanic whites are actually Mestizo as they have Amerindian blood in them. It's common to hear people saying they have Cherokee ancestry.
Yes many people say that but none of them consider themselves non white while many hispanics are called mixed or biracial for the same thing. As long as you don't speak spanish, you can always be white unless one of your parents is a 100% black, asian or native american. Hispanics too bad, you are not white unless you can prove that all of your ancestors for the last 520 years came from Europe.

A poor soul In the Mexico board was concerned that he might have Ameridian ancestors so he felt the need to ask anonymous posters if he and his family looked "European" Someone told him he looked Euro-mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Many of Miami's Hispanic residents are biracial.
I was responding to the post that stated "whites and Hispanics were pretty integrated with each other and there is a lot of interracial dating."

Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. I was providing the correction that it would be "interethnic" dating, as the term "Hispanic" does not mention anything about race.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsampedro View Post
This is what I think. I am Anglican married into the Latin culture for the last 30-years and have heard both sides along with feelings of my own... If you decide to live in another country for WHATEVER reason by choice or necessity as a matter of gratitude and ANY kind of interest in your new country I feel a person does have some kind of obligation to learn at the very least the basics of the language of the land. I understand this makes many angry and they say "no, you learn Spanish" but please consider my family fought in the Civil War & WWII and our family suffered many hardships. I truly do not feel learning the language is so very much to ask. Please at least make the effort if for no other reason than for those who have here come before you and died to preserve this country that many now call home. If this is such a very awful request please reconsider the country in which you now reside.
Here is my reply. Me and my entire family have chosen to learn the language and learn it to the point that we sound like normal Americans. But, here is the catch we have all chosen to keep Spanish as our default language in our everyday lives. so if a white non Hispanic wishes to talk to us in English I am more than happy to oblige. But, don't expect us to stop speaking Spanish as we go about our day.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Here is my reply. Me and my entire family have chosen to learn the language and learn it to the point that we sound like normal Americans. But, here is the catch we have all chosen to keep Spanish as our default language in our everyday lives. so if a white non Hispanic wishes to talk to us in English I am more than happy to oblige. But, don't expect us to stop speaking Spanish as we go about our day.
I have no problem with your position re language choice - it's fairly common amongst my Hispanic heritaged neighbors. However, it is that same position/attitude that can make non-Spanish speaking newcomers to Miami feel uncomfortable in their own neighborhoods. It's hard to make friends when most of your neighbors can speak English, but prefer to speak Spanish amongst each other as they all go about their days...

Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with your position re language choice - it's fairly common amongst my Hispanic heritaged neighbors. However, it is that same position/attitude that can make non-Spanish speaking newcomers to Miami feel uncomfortable in their own neighborhoods. It's hard to make friends when most of your neighbors can speak English, but prefer to speak Spanish amongst each other as they all go about their days...
true but honestly I think this has to be a two way street. Non-Hispanic Americans can't just expect all the Hispanics to forget there heritage culture and language. asking them to learn English is one thing but expecting them to stop speaking Spanish is quite another. If Non Spanish speakers wish to feel truly at home they should also learn Spanish and not just expect everyone to speak English. As long as they attempt to learn Spanish they will do fine. it's only if they are Hell bent on making everyone speak English that they will have a problem.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
true but honestly I think this has to be a two way street. Non-Hispanic Americans can't just expect all the Hispanics to forget there heritage culture and language. asking them to learn English is one thing but expecting them to stop speaking Spanish is quite another. If Non Spanish speakers wish to feel truly at home they should also learn Spanish and not just expect everyone to speak English. As long as they attempt to learn Spanish they will do fine. it's only if they are Hell bent on making everyone speak English that they will have a problem.
I don't think anyone expects Miami's Hispanics to forget their heritage, culture, and language. To feel truly at home in the US, you are suggesting that people learn to speak Spanish - ahhh, a sign of times to come....

Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone expects Miami's Hispanics to forget their heritage, culture, and language. To feel truly at home in the US, you are suggesting that people learn to speak Spanish - ahhh, a sign of times to come....
And why is asking people to learn Spanish such a strange request? we(Hispanics) have learned English now it's time for non Hispanics to learn Spanish.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
^^^Because this country as a majority doesn't speak spanish, english is the language spoken by most people in this country. By learning English immigrants show respect to this country as well as assimilate into the America culture. When my mother came to this country she learned english, when I go to her home country I don't expect them to speak english. I speak the language of that country out of respect and the immigrants coming to this country should learn english out respect to this country. They shouldn't expect people here to speak their language, that is just arrogant and disrespectful of them.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
And why is asking people to learn Spanish such a strange request? we(Hispanics) have learned English now it's time for non Hispanics to learn Spanish.
That you even ask this question is evidence enough of why non-Hispanics find Miami an unfriendly city to call home.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
No....or are as they say in Spnish, No.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 06-10-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami