Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing from people I know who have lived in Miami that it is a disgusting trashy place with no character and is filled with crime. The other night I saw a presentation on CNN and they were talking about (I believe the Liberty City area) and how you can't go out at night because the crime is so high and how it's affecting Miami.

I guess in Liberty City they even let the traffic lights flash yellow so you don't have to stop (to prevent carjacking). Is it like that all over Miami? What is the real scoop?

Daniel_T

Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quick answer: NO.

Don't believe the sensationalist media's BS about Miami being a crime-filled third world country and take most of what people say on this board with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, many of these people buy into the third world country BS as well.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
... lived in Miami that it is a disgusting trashy place with no character and is filled with crime. ... CNN ... Liberty City area ... affecting Miami.

... Is it like that all over Miami? What is the real scoop?
You do well to seek a more serious source of information than CNN. Turn off the television, for good. Believe me, in ten years you'll love yourself for it.

Liberty City is well south in Miami-Dade County, not sure what the report you watched meant by Miami, the word can have at least three meanings.

It is true that much of Miami-Dade County is disgusting, trashy, and characterless - but most of the US is characterless anyway (though not necessarily disgusting and trashy) - and that there are relatively few good neighborhoods.

As for crime, yes, statistically Miami scores well above the national average. But to say that it is filled with crime depends on your personal experience. It is a crap-shoot, Russian roulette: if you or someone you love is a victim of crime, then it is full of crime; if not, then it isn't.

In my view, the main problem with Miami-Dade in general is that it is not a good deal for the money: you can spend around the same amount or less in many areas of the other counties of southern Florida, and elsewhere in the US and around the world, and enjoy a better quality of life, despite the tropical weather.

Nevertheless, if one can afford to live in one of Miami-Dade's better neighborhoods, in combination with the right set of skills, experiences and contacts, it does offer certain opportunities, excitement, and, yes, even quality of life.

But, at least it seems, the proportion of people who enjoy such things is relatively small. In that sense, Miami-Dade shares a "third-world" characteristic. Nevertheless, as people on the ongoing Puerto Rico thread are pointing out, not nearly to the same degree. On the other hand, the social gap in the US is widening, making it more like the rest of the world, little by little, and perhaps the pace of this widening is faster in Miami-Dade than elsewhere in the US.

If you can afford and are willing to spend what it takes to enjoy the best of what Miami-Dade has to offer, it may be a worthwhile experience. If not, there are, relatively speaking, better opportunities elsewhere, even in southeastern Florida.

It all depends on how you measure the quality of life and the opportunity that you have to pursue it.

Last edited by Keeper; 12-16-2007 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Quick answer: NO.

Don't believe the sensationalist media's BS about Miami being a crime-filled third world country and take most of what people say on this board with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, many of these people buy into the third world country BS as well.
you don't even live here, who are you to give information?

there is a case currently going on regarding 7 people from liberty city who where going to bomb several buildings, including the chicago sears towers; i'd be careful.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:53 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Excuse me? I grew up there and visit regularly (I will be there again in four days to spend Christmas with the family)

Old 12-16-2007, 09:06 AM

15 posts, read 124,585 times
Default Yes, it's true

Hi, I am a travel nurse, and have lived in 6 other states. West coast, East Coast, Mid-west. Miami is the scariest, crime ridden place I have EVER been.
People kill each other for no reason, even if they are wearing a mask and you can't identify them, they will still kill you after they rob you. This is the only place where, at my place of work in the parking garage, my car window was smashed in and I was robbed. The officer that did my police report told me to get out of Miami if possible, and that in that area there is a homocide everyday. They also kill so many cops here, I have never seen that anywhere else. Yes, it is a third world country. People that have only lived here and no place else are desentisized to the crime. People don't care about anything here, they don't obey the traffic laws, I could go on and on. It's dirty, way too hot, buggy, swampy. This comes from a person who can compare it to other places. Do a crime rate search, you will see. Good luck to you. Also, I worked in DC, LA, Detroit and Flint, MI. I felt much safer in those places.
Sincerely,
Traci

Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
you don't even live here, who are you to give information?

there is a case currently going on regarding 7 people from liberty city who where going to bomb several buildings, including the chicago sears towers; i'd be careful.
One acquitted, hung jury for the other six.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:09 AM

686 posts, read 3,716,236 times
thank you. I guess then Miami is probably not for me then. I don't want to live in a city where if you don't have a lot of money, you can't enjoy a fair standard of living. I've heard Miami is going downhill, but I figured it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Thanks for all the info.

Daniel_T

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

398 posts, read 1,409,521 times
In response to the title of your thread, YES. It is a dangerous nasty third world place.

Is it all like Liberty City? NO. There are good areas in Miami.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracivrn View Post
Hi, I am a travel nurse, and have lived in 6 other states. West coast, East Coast, Mid-west. Miami is the scariest, crime ridden place I have EVER been.
People kill each other for no reason, even if they are wearing a mask and you can't identify them, they will still kill you after they rob you. This is the only place where, at my place of work in the parking garage, my car window was smashed in and I was robbed. The officer that did my police report told me to get out of Miami if possible, and that in that area there is a homocide everyday. They also kill so many cops here, I have never seen that anywhere else. Yes, it is a third world country. People that have only lived here and no place else are desentisized to the crime. People don't care about anything here, they don't obey the traffic laws, I could go on and on. It's dirty, way too hot, buggy, swampy. This comes from a person who can compare it to other places. Do a crime rate search, you will see. Good luck to you. Also, I worked in DC, LA, Detroit and Flint, MI. I felt much safer in those places.
Sincerely,
Traci
lol i wouldn't say it's as bad as dc or detroit, those places are the american versions of iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami