Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,101 times

Advertisements

Totally loved Farrells, especially the candy counter strategically placed at the check-out area. Oh well. Crandon Park with all the caged animals wasn't so nice, but the painted bridge to the children's area was fun, as well as the stone animals with the mouths open so you could sit inside. The rides outside the zoo were a blast, I especially like the dumbo-like ride that went up in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 26,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish75 View Post
Wow!! Weird flashbacks. Did Lilas close for real? I will sure miss that mountain of french fries with that paper thin steak buried underneath! Pirates, I totally forgot about that. Anyone remember Lindsay (sp.) Lumber on 8th street and 127? ave? My fathers favorite stomping ground back in the day. How about the restaurant on 87th and Coral Way, nw corner, I believe it was called Westward Ho?? I used to live right next to that LUMS by FIU and Taco Viva rocked!! What about that place by Dadeland mall called the Golden Pyramid? Remember that one. Keep this one going!
Lila's didn't close.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMissM View Post
Lila's didn't close.
Did they move it? I didn't see it open when I drove by there recently...

Old 03-01-2008, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 48,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Did they move it? I didn't see it open when I drove by there recently...
I'm curious about that myself. Growing up in the '80s, I lived only a few blocks from Lila's Restaurant and that was definitely our family's restaurant of choice. I continued to go to Lila's until my husband and I moved to the West Coast in 2003 because everything was good as it was in my childhood -- the big baskets of buttery bread, the steaks heaped with mountains of julienned fried potatoes, the efficient waiters in their ever-traditional black and white.

From my googling, one search comes up as Lila's POSSIBLY having relocated to 10481 SW 40th St. Unfortunately, I'm now 3,000 miles away and can't confirm. We hope to take a trip to South Florida next year and Lila's would definitely be on the list. I miss Cuban food!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitzmom View Post
I'm curious about that myself. Growing up in the '80s, I lived only a few blocks from Lila's Restaurant and that was definitely our family's restaurant of choice. I continued to go to Lila's until my husband and I moved to the West Coast in 2003 because everything was good as it was in my childhood -- the big baskets of buttery bread, the steaks heaped with mountains of julienned fried potatoes, the efficient waiters in their ever-traditional black and white.

From my googling, one search comes up as Lila's POSSIBLY having relocated to 10481 SW 40th St. Unfortunately, I'm now 3,000 miles away and can't confirm. We hope to take a trip to South Florida next year and Lila's would definitely be on the list. I miss Cuban food!
I will check that address when I get back to Miami... I am actually on vacation in San Francisco now...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM

11 posts, read 48,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
I will check that address when I get back to Miami... I am actually on vacation in San Francisco now...
Thanks! This is the link to where I found that address for Lila's:

Restaurant: Lila's Restaurant (broken link)

Now, when I did another searching using that Bird Road address, there were several mentions of a "Villa Habana" at that location with a different phone number. The mystery deepens...I cling to the hope Lila's still exists somewhere.

And a belated thanks from this Banyan Elementary/Rockway Junior/Coral Park Senior High graduate to everyone with the great Westchester-Miami memories. I only recently stumbled on this thread and my daughter was asking why I had such a big grin on my face; it was a kick to share everything with her. I grew up in a big city during the time of Miami Vice, but in some ways it felt like a small town. My neighbors and hang-outs were the same for close to 20 years.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Gone but not forgotten

My husband grew up in Hialeah and has so many memories he will share later -I know he always mentions Lums but I remember going to the Rusty Pelican in Key Biscayne, I think.

He also remembers all the WQAM stuff with Rick Shaw and all the guys very fondly. He grew up in the 60's.

Great water views and wonderful seafood!!!

I grew up in Broward County and anyone remember Code 1?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM

747 posts, read 2,104,979 times
What was the name of the club at the Omni hotel in the early 80"s? That was the time of the Cocaine cowboys, and I remember gunfights at intersections in South Dade. I went to Killian HS in the 70's, and remember sitting behind a guy with an afro so big that I couldn't see the teacher. I worked at the Publix in Suniland (now a Helath food store). I owned a Baseball card store in the shopping center where the Serpentarium used to be. Joe Dimaggio ate dinner at the Italian restaurant in that strip center. I used to go to Miami Jai alai on Saturday nights- got in for a buck- cheap date! I used to pick strawberries at Burr's in South Dade, and got to know Charlie Burr real well. He passed away about 5 years ago or so. I remember when Dadeland was not a mall, and you could ride your bike on the sidewalk along US 1 to get there. I used to shag lost golf balls next to the Palmetto Golf course on US 1 and 152-160 Street. I sold the balls for a dime to the pro shop. I used to deliver the Miami News after school, and stop half way through my route for a Coke at 7-11. Probably cost me a quarter? Saw Star Wars at the Dixie Drive in when it came out, saw Saturday Night Fever and Aliens at Dadeland. Saw ET about a dozen times at Suniland Theater. Went to Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday nights in the Grove. Even dressed up and threw rice!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,727 times
Yeah, I have good memories of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Trivia question (I don't know the answer and really want to know):

The used to show 2 videos (at least I think it was 2) before the RHPS. One was Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Anyone remember what the other one was (if there was one? or was there more than 2? I seem to remember 2)?

On an unrelated note, does anyone remember the old Miami baseball stadium? Where exactly was that? I remember seeing the Boston Orioles doing spring training there, and I went to see Aerosmith/Journey play there sometime in the '80s. Anyone else have any memories there?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM

66 posts, read 375,566 times
VERCASI...

and scarface LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami