Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 4,170 times

Advertisements

Source

Quote:
To save $24 million, the county's current transit proposal would cut 8 percent of Metrobus’ $248 million and 6 percent of Metrorail’s $75 million budget. Bus routes would be eliminated, operating hours would be reduced, and wait times for trains would increase.
Comments? Thoughts?

When I was in Miami last couple of times I was thinking spending for public transit needs at least double as current situation is laughable. I don't know how old are those buses and trains but probably most of the Eastern European countries have better ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:54 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert1 View Post
Source

Comments? Thoughts?

When I was in Miami last couple of times I was thinking spending for public transit needs at least double as current situation is laughable. I don't know how old are those buses and trains but probably most of the Eastern European countries have better ones.
We have Uber, perhaps soon drone delivery of basic goods and driverless cars on smart roads.

Probably a lot of those train and bus routes are scarcely used and such modes of transport and need for such could become obsolete. Why invest millions and billions in 1840s-1950s technology?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,768,437 times
Yhe more people that live here the more tax money the county gets. The more money the county gets the more is lost to corruption. This is why there are fewer public services now than 60 years ago.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
We have Uber, perhaps soon drone delivery of basic goods and driverless cars on smart roads.
Uber is probably not a best solution replacement for public transit. Population is growing really fast and adding more cars to the streets leads to more of this:

And with good public transit it can be more like this:

And then there is no need to build huge buildings just for parking and have large parking spaces to accommodate all the cars. There is probably better use of all that space:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Probably a lot of those train and bus routes are scarcely used and such modes of transport and need for such could become obsolete. Why invest millions and billions in 1840s-1950s technology?
Meanwhile in China

The thing is, technology can advance more, but it didn't advance in last 30-40 years because too big focus was on car industry. Good real public transit can bring so much more development and small business around major transit hubs and it's much more sustainable. After traveling to a lot of cities with great public transit, I'm completely for it

Old 09-03-2017, 04:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,669,294 times
Typical Miami. This city has such a **** transit it's not even funny, and now they're cutting back even more services, what backwards way of thinking. They complain that there's too much traffic, yet don't improve transit to cut traffic congestion and to encourage more people to take transit. The city is already behind in many aspects and this took it up a notch.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Typical Miami. This city has such a **** transit it's not even funny, and now they're cutting back even more services, what backwards way of thinking. They complain that there's too much traffic, yet don't improve transit to cut traffic congestion and to encourage more people to take transit. The city is already behind in many aspects and this took it up a notch.
and Miami want to be World Class City but all world class cities are trying improve their transportation

Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,768,437 times
Maybe Irma can help fix that pesky traffic problem!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times
The city has increased its population by like 10% over the last ten years, yet they struggle for money. Stupid place and the people who vote for the idiots due to demographics only. Maybe a new stadium somewhere will solve the problem? Oh wait, yet another mega condo complex.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:58 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,669,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
and Miami want to be World Class City but all world class cities are trying improve their transportation
Miami wants to be world class and International yet they only care about tourism and real-estate. Tourism makes up for 60% of the economy, you would think with all that $ plus FDI in real-estate will help but nope. The city is behind in many aspects such as jobs, transport, cultural offerings, etc... and all that money goes to waste. The stadium for a failing team is one thing, or the failing pipes in SoBe which only have a lifespan of 10-15 years, raising roads to keep them dry yet businesses still get flooded... ridiculous. I know I don't live there anymore, but anytime governments misspend funds anywhere, I get pissed.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:14 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,134,604 times
The lack of common sense in all aspects of life (government, education, driving, etc) in Miami drove me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami