Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,073,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
I don't really know of any MI-specific words but I have noticed that MI people tend to add 's and the end of words, like saying Meijer's instead of Meijer.
Guilty. So, it's not just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,959,574 times
We have a small room coming in from the garage, some of the homes here have it as their laundry room, we don't. We have a closet there that houses brooms, vacuums and such and the other side has canned goods and such. We have a bench seat there and a coat rack. I call it the mud room, DH calls it the pantry, back hall...whatever. We just can't get that room right!

Front room I have also heard. Or back room. That must come from having a formal LR. So, people had two living rooms, they called one the front room. Now, I think they just call the second one the family room. Or great room?

Porch to me is always outside.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,073,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Coney Island = A greasy spoon, diner kind of restaurant. Also a hot dog with all sorts of nasty stuff piled on it. I just don't get this one at all. I thought Coney Island was an amusement park in NY or NJ.
I've always wondered if a Coney Island restaurant could survive outside of Michigan, especially a couple states away. If someone opened up an authentic one it would be unique in most areas.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM

They did open one in Henderson, NV. It is actually all things MI. It has Better Made chips, coney dogs, Sanders Hot Fudge and Vernors. I do not know how it is doing. I have wanted to go there and check it out, but have not yet.

The good thing about that being there is that there are a lot of MI transplants, so they appreciate it!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,247,181 times
I have lived in MI all my life and never heard of a doorwall, paper-toweling or a tag sale. Doorwall may have been a builder's term...like those windows on each side of a fancy front door. They're called "doorlights" in the industry.

The large thing we sit upon in the family room is a couch. Not a sofa or a davenport. Who ever heard of a davenport potato?

And, I never go to Meijers. It's Meijer.

Another thing that used to bug me was when people went to "the show" on Saturday, I always said "to the movies."

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
We have a small room coming in from the garage, some of the homes here have it as their laundry room, we don't. We have a closet there that houses brooms, vacuums and such and the other side has canned goods and such. We have a bench seat there and a coat rack. I call it the mud room, DH calls it the pantry, back hall...whatever. We just can't get that room right!

Front room I have also heard. Or back room. That must come from having a formal LR. So, people had two living rooms, they called one the front room. Now, I think they just call the second one the family room. Or great room?

Porch to me is always outside.

It is all mixed up. They used to call them the front parlor (the room for entertaining) and the back parlor (the casual room for family messiness). I find these easier to remember so I use them now (plus our houseis pretty old). Then they became Family room and living room. I can never rememebr which is which. Now many homes have only one. Thus they get mixed togeehr front room, family parlor, etc. I think it is only a great room when it has a two story ceiling. However our masterbathroom is really nice and the only room that is finished, so I call that the great room. It is all very confusing.

OUr kids make things worse. They can never remmebr any of the terms, so inadditioan t front and back parlor, living room family room, they call the rooms "the indian room" (Front parlor where indians used to come and sit ont he floor to trade in days long ago) or the Green Parlor (same room), and the "New parlor" (because it was added on in 1850), or the "brown parlor" or sometimes the left room and the right room (more confusing bcause it depends on wich way you are facing). They also mix any number of the varous terms together ("green right living room" "the new brown room on the left" "the left indian parlor front living room" ) It is just a mess. No one really knows how to refer to any given room except the kitchen and dining room. I tried putting up signs identifying each room, but to no avail. I wish that there was a standard in Michigan or anywhere else so we can all tell each other what room we are talking about.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM

749 posts, read 2,774,787 times
Lived in Michigan all my life...and use the term door-wall, mud room, laundry room ( I have one of each) and I add *s* to everything: Meijers, K-Marts etc....second living room is the family room to me and in the U.P. they *pank* down their snow instead of packing it down.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
I have lived in MI all my life and never heard of a doorwall, paper-toweling or a tag sale. Doorwall may have been a builder's term...like those windows on each side of a fancy front door. They're called "doorlights" in the industry.

The large thing we sit upon in the family room is a couch. Not a sofa or a davenport. Who ever heard of a davenport potato?

And, I never go to Meijers. It's Meijer.

Another thing that used to bug me was when people went to "the show" on Saturday, I always said "to the movies."
LOL on the davenport potato! But, back when my grandparents called it that...there were no couch potatoes! Those people moved all the time! That must be why my grandfather is still kicking it at almost 96!

We go to "the show". I hear the younger gen call it "the theater".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is all mixed up. They used to call them the front parlor (the room for entertaining) and the back parlor (the casual room for family messiness). I find these easier to remember so I use them now (plus our houseis pretty old). Then they became Family room and living room. I can never rememebr which is which. Now many homes have only one. Thus they get mixed togeehr front room, family parlor, etc. I think it is only a great room when it has a two story ceiling. However our masterbathroom is really nice and the only room that is finished, so I call that the great room. It is all very confusing.

OUr kids make things worse. They can never remmebr any of the terms, so inadditioan t front and back parlor, living room family room, they call the rooms "the indian room" (Front parlor where indians used to come and sit ont he floor to trade in days long ago) or the Green Parlor (same room), and the "New parlor" (because it was added on in 1850), or the "brown parlor" or sometimes the left room and the right room (more confusing bcause it depends on wich way you are facing). They also mix any number of the varous terms together ("green right living room" "the new brown room on the left" "the left indian parlor front living room" ) It is just a mess. No one really knows how to refer to any given room except the kitchen and dining room. I tried putting up signs identifying each room, but to no avail. I wish that there was a standard in Michigan or anywhere else so we can all tell each other what room we are talking about.
Too funny!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

550 posts, read 2,054,660 times
I like this thread

I always called it the show when going to the movies, but I don't think I do anymore...

A party store is a convenience store where you get your "supplies" for a party- chips, dips, pop, beer, etc. of course out here in philly that is not true, but it will always be a party store to me

To me it was always and is a couch, but i take no offense and have heard often in MI sofa....and occcasionally davenport..

how about breezeway for an entrance area.....our back hall was always that, back hall where we walked in and took off our shoes and hung up our coats....my friends' were mud rooms that didn't have an inner door, like our back hall does...

I think my grandma always called it paper toweling....

a glass sliding door was always a slider to me...

Perferator: we had a couple homemade "bumper Jumpers" growing up...OMG are those things fun!!!!!!!!

I've noticed that I call it a grocery store all the time and nobody around me does...it is full out "supermarket" to them here (philly)

Going up north is like people here in philly "going down the shore" i hate this expression! haha...

Yeah, I never add 's to store names, but many people do...

I grew up saying "you guys" a lot....out here they just say "yous" i hate that
I know some people in MI say yous too......ick!

.....still thinking....

Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM

271 posts, read 665,949 times
I have always known going to the movies as going to the theater. I must be on the edge of the younger generation.

I had a bumpjumper too when I was a kid.

To me it's only a breezeway if it connects a garage to a house.

Never heard paper toweling. It's always paper towels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan