Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,771 times

Advertisements

Dear cwarner,

4 yrs ago I moved from Minneapolis MN looking for the exact things that you mentioned in your posting. I found a small, family orientated community, with low taxes, inexpensive housing and land, great schools and an old fashion downtown. The name of the town is Stephenson Michigan which is 90 miles directly north of Green Bay in the UP of Michigan. There is no traffic, we walk to the local movie theater and pay $4 per ticket, buy the largest popcorn and drink for $2 each. Everyone at the two small grocier stores, hardware stores and gas stations know you by name. Everyone attends the local school events including an old fashion Christmas program, basketball games, volleyball, football and cross country. There is a small par 4 golf course 1 mile out of town and 6-8 courses of various skill levels within a 20 mile radius.

We have miles of snowmobile, ATV, running and hiking trials near-by. There is all types of fishing including trout, sturgeon, salmon and fly. You can boat on Lake Michigan, canoe in the river, whitewater kayak or "ocean kayak" in Lake Michigan.

We sold our 1600 sq/ft house in Minneapolis for 230K and bought a 3 story 1896 Victorian 4200 sq/ft with 4 acres of mostly wooded land for 150K. We are only 90 miles of country driving from: a small International Airport that is easy to travel in and out of; major cultural events such as musicals, ballet, concerts, NFL games, museums, upscale shopping and everything a city offers. There are several colleges within the 90 mile radius including two 2yr colleges that local high school students are able to attend while in high school. If you want really big cities we are only 3 1/2 hours on mostly highway/interstate from Milwaukee and 4 hrs. from Chicago.

Lake and River property are readily available and inexpensive although many retirees from Minnesota, Chicago, downstate MI and Milwaukee are starting to move in. We are only 12 miles from Lake Michigan and a gorgeous state park right on the Lake.

It does get cold but due to the effects of Lake Michigan and Superior we are in a "Banana Belt" compared to our neighbors north and south or us. We do receive snow and cold weather but nothing compared to what happens 30 miles north of us. We have enough snow to snowmobile, cross country ski on snowshoe on the many trails. Our springs spring later but we enjoy great summers and beautiful falls.

One catch is that most of the jobs around here are manufacturing, agricultural which includes forestry products. If you have to ability to work out of your home or you travel so your home base doesn't matter this is a great place. Another catch is all the wild life. You have to get used to seeing eagles flying above the road, deer as thick as cows in the fields, by the roads and crossing through your yard. You also have to share the great outdoors with the occassional linx, fox, coyotes, bear, elk and even wolves once in a while.

I know I sound like a real estate agent or the mayor but we really like it here. I am the elementary school principal and we moved here for the same reasons you are looking. The other reason was to give our children a quality education which I am personally able to influence!

Hope this helps and that you consider the Stephenson area.

UPRUNNINGMAN, aka, Al

p.s. If you have any further questions I believe my email is available otherwise contact me at Stephenson Elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarner
Hello, I am interested in small town living away from traffic/noise, big city. Preferably in SW MI...does anyone live in or around Plainwell, Otsego, Hastings, and could tell me something about these places? Are they nice, community/family oriented towns to make home? Any responses would be great! Thanks and have a great day! Also, am open to any other towns you may suggest to me as good ones...

cwarner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,770 times
Default Try this site

https://www.city-data.com/

Good Luck

Old 06-12-2006, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,790 times
How has the search gone? I know this is 3 months late, but I want to suggest Lyons. It's next to Ionia, which has Walmart, Meijer, Lowes but still a small town. Lyons has only about 800 people. It is an hour from to 2 large cities of Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Nice small town with friendly people.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:36 AM

18 posts, read 94,466 times
I grew up in Wayland, which is a town of about 5,000 or so. It is the exact center point between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo on Highway 131. It has a small town feel with all the convenience of being only twenty or so minutes away from everything. Also, you can choose to live in the town or you can be on the outskirts, and that changes the feel. I lived just outside of it, and it was quiet and out of the way, but still extremely close. I hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,924 times
Michigan is going through tough times right now. I assume you will have a job lined up or you are retired.

Those towns you mention are small towns with a couple of traffic lights. To the north (about 35 min) is Grand Rapids. Kalamazoo is about 20-25 mins south.

I live outside of Grand Rapids in Ada. It's nice and rural with bike paths and good schools. Only 15 minutes drive to downtown GR.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,803 times
I worked in Plainwell/Otsego at the Wal-Mart there and they are both nice small towns. You can always work in Kalamazoo which is only about 15 miles from there. It's close enough for the shopping but far enough away to not affect the small town effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan