Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,954,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chero View Post
One of the biggest reasons I moved from Michigan,,,,way to much winter. I can reach a happy medium with a few months of the cold wet stuff. Usually, the weather is cold and gloomy from November through the first week in May. Snow starts up in November.

I lived on the east side of Michigan and it doesn't reach the 70's bracket until the last week in May, first week of June!. The further north you go, the longer the winter and the more snow. I love the four seasons, so Tennessee is perfect for me....smile.....

If you're a big outdoors person and hate to be cold the majority of the year, don't move to Michigan!
I'l take the real white stuff , any day , over the ice......thats what the mid south has lots of. Worst day I can remember was in Knoxville,slick as snot, no power, I-75 closed, trees down everywhere.........still a nice city along with Asheville. I lived in the mountains down there 18 years. Was colder there at times , than I have ever seen in Michigan........ If you are moving south , forget the mid way points, even most of Florida, go for the real stuff, Key West ! everything else is just a comp.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
One of the biggest reasons I moved from Michigan,,,,way to much winter. I can reach a happy medium with a few months of the cold wet stuff. Usually, the weather is cold and gloomy from November through the first week in May. Snow starts up in November.

I lived on the east side of Michigan and it doesn't reach the 70's bracket until the last week in May, first week of June!. The further north you go, the longer the winter and the more snow. I love the four seasons, so Tennessee is perfect for me....smile.....

If you're a big outdoors person and hate to be cold the majority of the year, don't move to Michigan!
That's like where I am. It's 70 degrees right now -- that's cool enough for a fall day. There will be a couple weeks where it doesn't get over 60 but will even get down in the 20s -- that's enough of a winter for me. However -- I can drive for 2 1/2 hours and have great mountain skiing and snow tubing and hiking in snow. The only thing I really miss are the many rivers, streams and lakes.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,448,031 times
It was in the 70's in OK. yesterday and it's suppose to rain the next 3.

For years in Ca. I was happy to be away from the cold Michigan winters. If I wanted it see snow all I had to do was look out my back door and see the snow on the mountains. I lived right at the foothills.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,949,760 times
Here in Denver it is 22 and snowing steadily right now....but it was 72 on Tuesday so go figure. It seems CO weather is even more random than MI

Old 12-08-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Here in Denver it is 22 and snowing steadily right now....but it was 72 on Tuesday so go figure. It seems CO weather is even more random than MI
I've only been to Colorado once -- to Pagosa Springs in October. Beautiful country -- a bit on the cold side but absolutely beautiful. The advantage in Colorado is that even if cold, the sun comes out most of the time -- important to some, not important to others.

There's beauty everywhere -- but what suits some doesn't suit others.

If the economy was good in Michigan and jobs were plentiful and taxes low, then you wouldn't see the negative posts. Even though I don't live there now and I didn't leave over the economy, I can see how facing a long winter with little money or fears over not having a job would make someone negative. When people look and look for a job and get no bites -- they begin to become very discouraged.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM

Even in Ca. if the suns not out you feel much colder then you actually are. Once the sun comes out your body warms up..

That's one thing I remember about Michigan, a gloomy winter day can be depressing.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've only been to Colorado once -- to Pagosa Springs in October. Beautiful country -- a bit on the cold side but absolutely beautiful. The advantage in Colorado is that even if cold, the sun comes out most of the time -- important to some, not important to others.

There's beauty everywhere -- but what suits some doesn't suit others.

If the economy was good in Michigan and jobs were plentiful and taxes low, then you wouldn't see the negative posts. Even though I don't live there now and I didn't leave over the economy, I can see how facing a long winter with little money or fears over not having a job would make someone negative. When people look and look for a job and get no bites -- they begin to become very discouraged.
Yes , Colorado is a beautiful state, but(in some places) extra cold because of it's alttitude.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Even in Ca. if the suns not out you feel much colder then you actually are. Once the sun comes out your body warms up..

That's one thing I remember about Michigan, a gloomy winter day can be depressing.

There is a real disorder called SAD, seasonal affective disorder and that's a kind of depression brought on by dark dreary days and lack of sunshine.

I suppose some people may move to sunny areas for that reason. I can handle cold better than cold and dark. In fact -- I very much like a clear mountain day with bright blue skies and brilliant white snows. I'm not real keen on shoveling it out of a driveway every time I want to get to work -- so for now I just live where there isn't any.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 AM

86 posts, read 267,956 times
Quote:

Truer words were never spoken!!!

Although I hear it's just a rumor, and that you can dress your way out of it

Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM

malamute wrote:
Quote:
I'm not real keen on shoveling it out of a driveway every time I want to get to work.
Well. that's one thing that will warm you up. Getting started is the hardest part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan