Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM

34 posts, read 95,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcandy View Post
THERES NO FUTURE IN MICHIGAN.

yes, its a gorgorous state, but the state is falling apart. I read in one of the posts that there are jobs in other places besides Detroit. NOT TRUE. there are no jobs to be found anywhere. And just for the record of another post, ppl in Michigan DO use the internet. But getting back to the jobs, if you are thinking of moving here, think again. I was raised in Michigan and I am leaving. I am relocating because there are NO jobs and NO sign of change any time soon. Its sad but very true. Unemployment is at an all time High. Businesses are closing or going bankrupt, schools are closing, 2 million registered voters have left the state this past year due to forclosures or job lay offs or something worse. It is bad and getting worse. It is not exaggerated either. There are ppl here with college degrees that cant find a job!! So if you are thinking of coming here, be sure you have a SECURE job because otherwise, youll be in the poor house before you know it.!
I moved here from WI when a company in Troy called me and offered me a job paying low 70's and it is not in manufacturing and I do not have a degree(or any college) as for the cheap housing in Detroits suburbs I have not found any decent houses for under 200K. If no one has jobs why are the houses so expensive? I think it would be nice if 2 million more people left the state maybe the commutes would be nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
sounds like scott has his head up a dark place.
I have personaly seen homes go for 145 thousand that were selling for 275 a couple of years ago.
If you would wipe your eyes and look you would see clear enough to find a cheap home.
Crap, ABC did a segment on homes across the us and found a corner lot with a 4 bed 3 bath all brick only 4 years old in a high end sub that was selling for 350k and now was asking 225 and would take 175.
I guess you can not see the forest through the trees.
To much wisconsin cheese clogging your veins.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
Default nicer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi65 View Post
I think it would be nice if 2 million more people left the state maybe the commutes would be nicer.

Scott that is what they said in WI when you left.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcandy View Post
There are ppl here with college degrees that cant find a job!! So if you are thinking of coming here, be sure you have a SECURE job because otherwise, youll be in the poor house before you know it.!
Yes, there are no entry level jobs, but once you have professional experience, certification, and other credentials ... many people long to move back to the Great Lakes State.

Ohio sucks, Wisconsin is cheesy, and dog houses in Chicago are priced higher than one can afford.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi65 View Post
I moved here from WI when a company in Troy called me and offered me a job paying low 70's and it is not in manufacturing and I do not have a degree(or any college) as for the cheap housing in Detroits suburbs I have not found any decent houses for under 200K. If no one has jobs why are the houses so expensive? I think it would be nice if 2 million more people left the state maybe the commutes would be nicer.
The Detroit area isn't FREE in terms of housing prices. It's AFFORDABLE. Yes, not affordable for a lot of people who barely managed to grab a high school diploma, but SUGARCANDY makes it sound like Ohio.

It's not THAT bad.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM

10 posts, read 39,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The Detroit area isn't FREE in terms of housing prices. It's AFFORDABLE. Yes, not affordable for a lot of people who barely managed to grab a high school diploma, but SUGARCANDY makes it sound like Ohio.

It's not THAT bad.
It really isn't that bad. My mom and I moved here from West Palm Beach a couple years ago. She never went to college or anything but managed to get a job here. We are doing fine. It's really what you make of it. If you want to succeed and make it work, you definitely can. If you want to whine and cry and complain, then it's not going to work out for you.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 AM

421 posts, read 1,566,696 times
Default Worse Economies

Many places are worse off economically that Michigan. Here are some:

1) Pittsburgh, PA
2) BUffalo, NY
3) Utica, NY
4) Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA
5) Johnstown, PA
6) Youngstown, OH
7) Wheeling, WVA
8) Steubenville, OH
9) Cumberland, MD

These 9 metro areas have been losing people for decades, and are not getting better. ANy of these 9 would be happy to have the economy of Lansing or Grand Rapids! Michigan has had it easy compared to these places. If unemployment is low in these 9 places, it is because people have given up entirely on finding jobs, so they do not factor into the unemployment rate.

All of the above 9 are depressed because of relying on a single industry for too long. Pittsburgh and the cities mentioned above near Pitt have never recovered from losing their steel industry. Compared to them, MI has had a real cake walk with the auto industry.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 AM

178 posts, read 701,933 times
Man, this is depressing.

But the folks here are right - findingw ork in Michigan is getting harder everyday. Newspapers and online sites like Monster/MLive are still the best way of determining how well the economy is doing.

If the economy is great, there are ads for all sorts of workers in all kinds of fields. If the economy is lousy, the half-dozen ads you do find are usually the "Make $30,000 from your living room!" or "Truck Driver Wanted/Part Time" crap.

It's ridiculous. And with the state cutting funding to school more and more each year and with college grads being forced to move out of Michigan anyways, is it any wonder why people have such a crappy opinion of this state?

If you can't even get a good paying job the same STATE (I'm not even saying area, I'm including the whole state!) where you grew up, went to college, paid taxes into for years, etc. why shouldn't you leave???

Old 07-24-2007, 08:27 AM

54 posts, read 198,319 times
Well besides the economy, How is Michigan living? I am relocating in August with the Government. I am excited for the change. I am going to make the best of it and continue to show my southern charm and polite attitude. Hopefully the only adjustment I have to make is the weather change.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangemood View Post
Well besides the economy, How is Michigan living? I am relocating in August with the Government. I am excited for the change. I am going to make the best of it and continue to show my southern charm and polite attitude. Hopefully the only adjustment I have to make is the weather change.
It basically runs the gammut depending on what part of Michigan. West Michigan is a beautiful area, relatively crime-free, moderate traffic, a lot of recreational opportunities, beautiful downtown (Grand Rapids), plenty of Wal-Marts and Meijer's, cost of living is not bad, cost of housing is pretty affordable, etc.. Lansing is somewhat similar. Ann Arbor is a bit higher cost of living, but I have family in that area that love it.

The weather builds character, that's for sure. I have neighbors from Atlanta who don't mind the winters at all (except maybe March, and I don't know many Michiganians who love March).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan