Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM

227 posts, read 795,031 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter his state of mind, cold kills, no phone doesn't kill and with rates as high as they are and bad economy, maybe his social security check was delayed as some were at some point, it's not hard to get behind $1,000. Old people tend to like it 80 and high rates will raise that bill right quick. I hope that company doesn't get ANY money he owed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
It doesn't matter his state of mind, cold kills, no phone doesn't kill and with rates as high as they are and bad economy, maybe his social security check was delayed as some were at some point, it's not hard to get behind $1,000. Old people tend to like it 80 and high rates will raise that bill right quick. I hope that company doesn't get ANY money he owed now.
He had $600,000 in one account.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
No phone, no way to call for help.....

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
No phone, no way to call for help.....
Just sounds so sad.

Can you imagine being a little demented and you pick up the phone.... and no dial tone. You forgot to pay the bill and you forgot that you forgot to pay the bill... just the phone doesn't work.

And now it is getting colder in the house and the lights don't work.... well it has been a really hard winter... maybe this cold and snow is why the lights are not working. Hope they get those darn lights fixed. (once again, you have forgotten that you forgot to pay the bill.)

That is how it is with dementia/altzeimers. You start to do something, you get distracted and you completely forget to finish what you are doing. IN fact you forget that the chore was even needed to be done.

That is why a courtesy knock, can help out.

I agree that neighbors should do the neighborly thing when the climate is harsh (cold or hot)... but bottom line... we as a "society" should do better for our weakest, at risk people...

the elderly and the young.

otherwise we should stop patting ourselves on the back on what a great "society" we are, and stop going around the world showing "uncivilized" or un -"democratic" societies how to run things.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If he had wanted changes, I had no reason to think he could not have made them.
Unwarranted assumption.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Unwarranted assumption.
The biggest assumption here is that he DID freeze to death. The media was claiming that within hours. No poof really, the cornier signed off on it without an autopsy. I am sure the body was cold but, at 93 could it have been something else??????? This is another reason I believe there will be no legal action.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
I agree with a past poster who said, when electricity gets disconnected a support group should be contacted, there are certainly plenty of support groups and 501C3's out there who would be willing to guide a 93 year old man, or even a single mother with kids. its volunteer work, and it would only take 2 hours to sort out the months bills. if the person refuses the support group, then they are sealing their fate and then we would not need this sort of debate.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
I agree with a past poster who said, when electricity gets disconnected a support group should be contacted, there are certainly plenty of support groups and 501C3's out there who would be willing to guide a 93 year old man, or even a single mother with kids. its volunteer work, and it would only take 2 hours to sort out the months bills. if the person refuses the support group, then they are sealing their fate and then we would not need this sort of debate.
Will you be moving here to start the group??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan