Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,876 times

Advertisements

Before I start this debate, I want people to know that I am bi-racial and in no way racist or predjudice. I just happen to have had an interesting conversation with a group of my friends (diverse group of blacks, asians, latinos and whites) and many of the minorites feel the scarce jobs that are left in Michigan are being reserved for "whites only".

Some minorites (black in paticular) feel that even with their education they are getting typical blue collar jobs ($8-$9/hr) while the high paying jobs are being reserved for whites who have lower education (associates or certificate).

My question is this; Are my diverse group of friends over-reacting or is Michigan "conversative" behavior is starting to rear its head as the economic recession is getting worse? Are me and my friends over-reacting are is there some truth that the "good jobs" are being reserved for whites who have lower qualifications and degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,149 times
I'm white, wheres my good pay job at?

I think it's overreacting.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Before I start this debate, I want people to know that I am bi-racial and in no way racist or predjudice. I just happen to have had an interesting conversation with a group of my friends (diverse group of blacks, asians, latinos and whites) and many of the minorites feel the scarce jobs that are left in Michigan are being reserved for "whites only".

Some minorites (black in paticular) feel that even with their education they are getting typical blue collar jobs ($8-$9/hr) while the high paying jobs are being reserved for whites who have lower education (associates or certificate).

My question is this; Are my diverse group of friends over-reacting or is Michigan "conversative" behavior is starting to rear its head as the economic recession is getting worse? Are me and my friends over-reacting are is there some truth that the "good jobs" are being reserved for whites who have lower qualifications and degrees?
Don't see that where I am at all. Maybe you and your friends should leave the SE corner and venture out into another part of the State. I have many Latino friends and every one of them (that wants to be) is in a supervisory position with the companies they are with. A couple have been offered promotions into management and they turned the offers down because of the change in hours and the BS they would have to deal with. Can't speak for Asians in this area, only one family in my little town and both adults are working full time (guess that means 100% employment for that demographic ). Blacks are about the same as Latinos as far as my friends go. All my friends are working who want to work, and a couple have comfortably retired in the area.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't see that where I am at all. Maybe you and your friends should leave the SE corner and venture out into another part of the State. I have many Latino friends and every one of them (that wants to be) is in a supervisory position with the companies they are with. A couple have been offered promotions into management and they turned the offers down because of the change in hours and the BS they would have to deal with. Can't speak for Asians in this area, only one family in my little town and both adults are working full time (guess that means 100% employment for that demographic ). Blacks are about the same as Latinos as far as my friends go. All my friends are working who want to work, and a couple have comfortably retired in the area.
Umm....yeah, most of my friends are not in the "SE Corner". Most of my friends live in suburbs like West bloomfield, Royal Oak (I stay in Royal oak now), bloomfield hills, Ann arbor area. Not one of my friends or me live in the "SE corner".......

Now, speaking from a personal standpoint, blacks are not on the same level as latinos or the same......yeah, they experience predjudice and racism, but NOT on the same level as blacks...that's a fact....sooooo, yeah I could see a lot of your friends getting okay or decent paying jobs over a black person anyday....I'm curious...are your latino and black friends college educated with a 4 year degree..not that this makes them better or anything, I'm just curious as to why/how they were able to live "comfortable". Also, it would help if you told me there age bracket....cause the friends in my click are in their 20's (mostly mid 20'
s). Maybe our generation was effected the most or something...i don't know

Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Quote:
kinda funny thats what some white people have said in criticism of affirmative action.

as far as how some of your friends feel, what are they basing this on? in the tough economy there will be stacks of resumes for the better jobs. so isnt it just possible someone even more qualified got the position? or maybe the bosses out of work brother in-law got the job, still happens ya know. generally employers are looking for the best talent they can get for the money. so i really doubt a whites only mentality is widespread among businesses in the state.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I'm white, wheres my good pay job at?

I think it's overreacting.
LOL yeah you could be right...but it is something to look into...maybe this problem existed well before the economic recession and the economic downturn has made it worst. But, I'm curious. You said you are white and you don't have a good paying job. I'm curious to know what your level of education is...when I started this debate, we were talking about the amount of "highly" educated minorties with a bachelor degree or above who were having a hard time finding jobs over whites who have lower education or just a skilled trade. This was the original debate....not that all whites have a good paying job and minorites dont.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
kinda funny thats what some white people have said in criticism of affirmative action.

as far as how some of your friends feel, what are they basing this on? in the tough economy there will be stacks of resumes for the better jobs. so isnt it just possible someone even more qualified got the position? or maybe the bosses out of work brother in-law got the job, still happens ya know. generally employers are looking for the best talent they can get for the money. so i really doubt a whites only mentality is widespread among businesses in the state.
Yeah, you could be right...but it seems that whites with lower education are getting jobs while minorites with higher education have to end up moving out of state cause they can't find anything. This was the original debate. I don't see how whites could feel that way about affirmative action. EVERYONE benefited from affirmative action except white males. Affirmative action was not about a black/white thing.....the white males in this country don't need affirmative action because they already have the "upper hand" or don't face much predjudice or racism.....not enough to affect whether they will get a job or get accepted to a school. Even white women benefited from affirmative action. ......

Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,966 times
Quote:
LOL yeah you could be right...but it is something to look into...maybe this problem existed well before the economic recession and the economic downturn has made it worst. But, I'm curious. You said you are white and you don't have a good paying job. I'm curious to know what your level of education is...when I started this debate, we were talking about the amount of "highly" educated minorties with a bachelor degree or above who were having a hard time finding jobs over whites who have lower education or just a skilled trade. This was the original debate....not that all whites have a good paying job and minorites dont.
White, from a lower middle class family. Bachelor's Degree from the University of Michigan. Gave up on the job search last year in Michigan and moved to Denver to find a job.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

Also, I agree with you...someone may give the job to their out of work brother in law or family member first...but here is the problem...most people who are managers, business owners or positions to hire a person are.....(drum-roll)..........white. So, we are right back to square one where most of the whites are taking the scarce jobs that are left. I agree with you.....jobs are just not plentiful anywhere in michigan.....all me and my friends were saying is that...the ones that ARE left are being given to whites, or people in power or position to hire their friends/family (who are mostly white, lets be honest).

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,284,297 times
Education isn't the only thing that makes you qualified. Have your friends compared experience levels? Many places prefer experience over education.

Royal Oak, Bloomfield, et al are well within the "SE corner", BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan