Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,062,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
skipped a little thing called a 3 star admiral. (7th fleet)
Do you really think that alone would have resulted in him being fired if he'd used conventional channels?

Alone. Of course not. It is a glaring omission and another factor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:36 AM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
4,000? Maybe (maybe - but even then, doubtful) during World War II, when peak strength reached nearly 3.5 million.

The present number of active flag officers in the USN at any given time is capped at 162 by federal law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/526
I was thinking of all four services, and others not directly counted (more than you would think). The last time I looked at it was in the Cold War era, and that, not WW2 was when the number of flag officers peaked. (In times of war, you need fighting men, not Generals and Admirals)

I should have figured the number would be smaller, but I had no idea how much smaller it had gotten.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:16 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I was thinking of all four services, and others not directly counted (more than you would think). The last time I looked at it was in the Cold War era, and that, not WW2 was when the number of flag officers peaked. (In times of war, you need fighting men, not Generals and Admirals)

I should have figured the number would be smaller, but I had no idea how much smaller it had gotten.

The cap for all four services is less than 1000 (I think something like 969), and the actual number is substantially below that.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:31 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Alone. Of course not. It is a glaring omission and another factor though.

The primary factor was that it reached the public.

We don't know how many other messages the captain had sent out prior to that within prescribed channels, or to whom all those messages went.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Does the TR even fall under the 7th fleet?

The TF may have at the time, I have no idea, but the TR is not assigned to the 7th fleet I think.

In any case, that is a non issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The primary factor was that it reached the public.

We don't know how many other messages the captain had sent out prior to that within prescribed channels, or to whom all those messages went.
This is still something that is absent (but I have not read the linked report), who leaked the email?

Out of all of this scenario, that is the big issue in my opinion, and one that seems has not been addressed publicly at least. But even if behind the scenes, someone would have gotten slammed with that and dismissed, and that would be public, unless they actually glossed over it and allowed the perosn who leaked it to escape punishment.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,854,034 times
Quote:
Can you write it off as simply skipping Sawyer (C7F), or is there more to the story? From the report it looks like neither Crozier nor Baker had any faith that anyone at the Seventh Fleet was doing much to help them other than looking for a place to park in Okinawa while the virus multiplied on board. All told, almost 1300 crewmembers contracted the virus.

Looks like Crozier is the designated whipping boy with the recommendation that he never have a command again, either on a ship or on land. Sounds like they'll let him drive a desk at the Pentagon. Baker appears to be getting a more detailed investigation of his own, I wonder how much of that we'll ever see. Nothing indicates the urgency Crozier, and possibly Baker, was driving was appreciated by Sawyer though; who's investigating him?

The ship is back at sea, albeit with a close to a third of the crew still in Guam and they only needed to bury one sailor. It smells like Crozier's email was just what it took to get the bureaucratic machine moving fast enough to keep the death toll under control. Who knows what would have been the outcome even two or three days later.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 AM

17,635 posts, read 17,723,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I told you he wouldn’t be reinstated. The Navy, like most people and organizations, simply finds it very difficult admitting mistakes.

CAPT Crozier exemplifies the Navy core values: “Honor. Courage. Commitment.” His chain of command does not exemplify those values.

Look how long it took the Navy to admit they were wrong about the captain of the USS Indianapolis

Old 06-23-2020, 08:20 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Look how long it took the Navy to admit they were wrong about the captain of the USS Indianapolis
Fifty years, long after most, maybe all, of the participating parties, and a lot of their family members, were dead. At least Nimitz had the sense to restore him to duty and he still made rank and retired. I will always be baffled on why the Navy did what they did to him.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:24 PM

14,414 posts, read 14,334,102 times
I wish every military officer--at least in peace time--put the interests of his crew ahead of everything else.

Crozier is a fine man who attempted to do what was right. Under these extraordinary circumstances, he had to do what he did.

His firing sends the message that officers who are willing to sacrifice their career to protect their men are not needed in today's Navy. What a shame.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:31 AM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I wish every military officer--at least in peace time--put the interests of his crew ahead of everything else.

Crozier is a fine man who attempted to do what was right. Under these extraordinary circumstances, he had to do what he did.

His firing sends the message that officers who are willing to sacrifice their career to protect their men are not needed in today's Navy. What a shame.
It wasn't just his men. He was attempting to prevent his ship from becoming disabled. But the Navy let it become disabled for political expediency, and then fired him to protect their old boys network. But that is the nature of the game. Covering each other's six is considered the most important mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues