Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:08 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm not buying it. I could much more easily believe that such a high percentage are ineligible for military service due to being physically unfit (obesity, etc.). There is no one educational standard/litmus test for military service. Ultimately, some jobs will require more book smarts than other jobs, which is a big reason why I have difficulty believing the report.
As another poster mentioned, 30% is still a huge number of people qualified, more than the military will ever need. The percent of active and veterans is around 7% of the population as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 02:46 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Where did he get that statistic? I'm just curious as to if we could drill down a bit in the data to see what the main causes are.
It's a long-established statistic.

First, we have to make sure we understand the statistic: It's 70% of young people attempting to enlist who are proven ineligible. We have no real statistics for the vast majority of young people who are not interested in enlisting...presumably those people have what they consider better opportunities.

The reasons people who attempt to enlist fail: Criminal histories, poor education, and poor health (primarily obesity).

It should still be alarming that there is a significant proportion of American high school graduates with educations so poor that there is no military occupation for which they can even be trained. Military occupations run the gamut of civilian occupations, including basic trades. Those are people who can't be trained for any military occupation have little or no chance for success in civilian life, either, because few civilian jobs of substance are willing to give free training.

Criminal history is also an issue. It's probably the strictest matter for the military, while at the same time the civilian world is more willing than ever to smack young people with criminal records (which is an American tendency worthy of another thread).

I've seen a statistic that 25% of even white males under 30 have criminal arrest records these days, with the percentage doubling for African-American and Latino males. Something is wrong there.

The obesity issue should also be alarming because that's only become a problem in military enlistments in the last couple of decades. Up through the 20th century, the military never worried about "fluffy" recruits because a few weeks of controlled diet and hardy physical activity always sufficed to whittle the fat off any otherwise healthy 18-year-old.

But today's obesity is a different kind of obesity...it's resistant to exercise and diet control. There aren't any studies on exactly why. The "why" isn't a military problem to solve...they just turn overweight applicants away at the door. I suspect it's because kids are becoming obese much earlier in life, so that it's become a chronic issue in a number of internal ways that can't be turned around in 6 to 8 weeks.

These are all endemic social problems that should be worrisome whether or not these young people are applying for the military. These are the 65% of kids who will never get college degrees.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not even remotely close, lol.

I take it you never served? Because you have not even the slightest clue.
I have a very close family member that is currently a Colonel, West Point grad and another family member that assists recently discharged transition out to the workforce.

I have never served.......but personally have hired 2 former soldiers. One was completely nuts, addicted to pills and the other was simply not a bright guy. So I'd say I've got a general picture of whats going in and coming out of the armed forces.

When I left high school we had ONE kid in my graduating class go to the military. He was kicked out of West Point before Christmas for excessive drinking. Not a single kid enlisted in any of the branches including the Coast Guard. If you live in a military town or have a heritage of service in your family, sure you might get more local kids interested but its not the norm.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:08 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
As a recruiter, I would say more than half the people that come into my office are overweight, or they have ADHD, or both. These are all disqualifiers.
Others have tattoos that stop them from joining, or other health issues.

When someone walks in that is NOT disqualified, I'm generally surprised and confused, because it's that unusual. Often, the people we do recruit have at least one waiver. To have someone completely qualified always makes me wonder if they're lying, but it's just so rare.
This is exactly my point................ sadly the best and brightest rarely apply!

Old 04-09-2021, 05:48 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I have never served.......but personally have hired 2 former soldiers. One was completely nuts, addicted to pills and the other was simply not a bright guy. So I'd say I've got a general picture of whats going in and coming out of the armed forces.
The VA estimates that around 200,000 veterans are discharged each year. So I guess that your two veterans are a good representative of the entire military.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is exactly my point................ sadly the best and brightest rarely apply!
And you base this on what exactly?

--

Old 04-09-2021, 06:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
As another poster mentioned, 30% is still a huge number of people qualified, more than the military will ever need. The percent of active and veterans is around 7% of the population as it is.
Yeah, but those people don't necessarily WANT to join.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:05 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
While most don’t seem to want to join the military, that is a fair point. I still remain dubious of what the article reports from an educational attainment perspective. It just doesn’t make sense in light of the education required to do a great many military jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues