Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 07:23 PM

29,530 posts, read 22,749,658 times

Advertisements

A very disturbing read.

Clearly, there is a big problem in that community, and it is continually swept under the rug. Most of the general public would not believe such a story, but Special Operators do seem to live in their own world and protected by not only their chain of command, but locals as well. Even that base in general seems like a shady military installation with a lot of unexplained, violent and creepy deaths.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...120046335.html
Quote:
No narcotics were reported recovered, but for the Joint Special Operations Command, or JSOC, which is headquartered at Fort Bragg, it had all the makings of yet another drug *scandal, the latest in a string of them to hit the special-operations community. Multiple people who knew Lavigne tell me that he regularly snorted cocaine, took MDMA, popped pills, and drank heavily. “It was out of control,” says his best friend’s wife, Laura Leshikar. “Almost every time I saw Billy, he was strung out on something.”

A day after the bodies were found, an unnamed Army official leaked to CBS that both Lavigne and Dumas, at the time of their deaths, were under investigation for trafficking narcotics on Fort Bragg, and that investigators suspected “a double homicide from a drug deal gone wrong.”

In recent years, whistleblowers have alleged that the use of hard drugs is widespread among special operators. Three unnamed Navy SEALs told CBS in 2017 that various teammates of theirs had tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA, and heroin, and that the substance-abuse problem was “growing.” In 2014, a Navy SEAL named Angel Martinez-Ramos pleaded guilty after being arrested at Miami’s airport with 10 kilos of cocaine in his carry-on. In 2015, former SEAL James Matthews got pulled over in New Jersey towing a trailer loaded with $1.4 million worth of marijuana. In 2018, former senior special-forces sergeants Daniel Gould and Henry Royer were busted trying to import punching bags that had been gutted and packed with cocaine from Colombia. These are highlights of a significantly lengthier list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 12:18 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,066,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Even that base in general seems like a shady military installation with a lot of unexplained, violent and creepy deaths.

meh. Not the first time it has been in the news for dead folks-look at the early 2000s.

It's Bragg. Weird **** happens. I was stationed there four different times. One of the largest installations we have in terms of population and one of the busiest overall with an extremely wide range of units stationed there.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:25 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Upon reading up on crimes committed by military personnel while stationed stateside, I have come to the conclusion, some of the perps are able to make connections simply through other fellow soldiers, or have enough free time to get out and about.

I am aware that the military recruits former or active gang members. That is probably how these connections are formed. Does the military not sometimes regret letting in convicts or former convicts? If they had not, these kinds of crimes likely not ever manifest by chance.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:27 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
meh. Not the first time it has been in the news for dead folks-look at the early 2000s.

It's Bragg. Weird **** happens. I was stationed there four different times. One of the largest installations we have in terms of population and one of the busiest overall with an extremely wide range of units stationed there.
Wasnt there once a crime phenomenon occurring in a nearby city called Phenix City that involved soldiers from Fort Bragg?

Old 04-28-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am aware that the military recruits former or active gang members.
The way you state that makes it sound as if the military is actively recruiting gang members which is simply not true.

Do gang members join the military? If they are otherwise morally, physically, mentally, educationally, qualified while meeting the citizenship requirements-yes.

The recruiters simply prescreen and process applicants and have a duty not to turn away an applicant which appears qualified. They aren't standing on the corner with signs saying Crips apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Upon reading up on crimes committed by military personnel while stationed stateside, I have come to the conclusion, some of the perps are able to make connections simply through other fellow soldiers, or have enough free time to get out and about.
This makes it seem as if you have never been in the military or your time in the military was lightyears ago. Yes people make connections in the military-some of them are criminal connections. Yes, people in the military get free time just like any other job. Even if your time in the military was lightyears ago, people still got free time-not sure where you were trying to go on this.

NOW, part of Bragg's thing is some people tend to spend a lot of time there. It isn't somewhat derisively referred to as the "Center of the Universe" for nothing. It is SOF central with a signifigant amount of training occuring there and several resident units as well. For Birg Army type units it is also home of the people that fall out of planes-yes, there are several other installations/units for airborne folks(4/25 or 173), but many folks with wings cycle back to Bragg eventually. Due to the units on post, it isn't uncommon to see people in either the SOF or the airborne community spend 15ish years there. Spend enough time in an area and you can develop a network. For many, that is a good thing. For the ne'er-do-wells, there are lots of ways to get in trouble in NC.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,133,125 times
Man I'm old; when I read the title of the thread I automatically thought of Jeffrey MacDonald.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Man I'm old; when I read the title of the thread I automatically thought of Jeffrey MacDonald.

Healthcare in prison must be good. The guy is still alive. It seems a new special or news report pops up on him every few years, so maybe you're not old-just saw something recent on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues